The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Dragonball 2012 - Rotterdam - Chat thread

Branners

I'm still tweaking the route, it is something along these lines but I'm still working on the route round Rotterdam so it only gets as far as west Rotterdam.

link to route

Looks good John. Seems to be a long straight road for the majority and although not an entertaining drive it should be easier to get a convoy of 35+ cars there in one piece. I imagine some backroads will be attempted on the Saturday. The area looks beautiful and having the sea in view for the majority will add to the experience.

H.

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

You sure you checked the route!! We drop off motorways just before Oostende and it is back roads all the way to Rotterdam. Going through or around towns and keeping off motorways as much as we can. Around 330km of which 200km will be back roads.

More of the same on the Saturday, and then motorway and back roads to Bruges on the Sunday.

You sure you checked the route!! We drop off motorways just before Oostende and it is back roads all the way to Rotterdam. Going through or around towns and keeping off motorways as much as we can. Around 330km of which 200km will be back roads.

More of the same on the Saturday, and then motorway and back roads to Bruges on the Sunday.

Will we need change for tolls on the route at all or do the back roads avoid them?

Sorry, it looked like they were main roads in the main. We are going to have fun then...:D

We are going to have to relay people at the front and back to block off a few junctions and keep the convoy together.

H.

I'm still tweaking the route, it is something along these lines but I'm still working on the route round Rotterdam so it only gets as far as west Rotterdam.

link to route

Thats looking a good route John, hugging the coast most of the way ................. i like how the goole maps direction thing says estimated fuel cost 42 euro,s :p i wish !! lol

Cheers

-Ian-

The route has very few juntions in it too. Getting through towns will be tricky but as the Dutch love bypasses then it wont be a problem.

Oddly enough, the one thing it is very short on is petrol stations. So people need to fill up in the UK before heading across as we will have 1 stop for fuel but if people need to stop seperately to that we wont be waiting

Thats looking a good route John, hugging the coast most of the way ................. i like how the goole maps direction thing says estimated fuel cost 42 euro,s :p i wish !! lol

Cheers

-Ian-

Mine is showing as €63, if you change it to high consumption, which is a bit more like it!!

Cheers

-Ian-

having walked through a lot of the route on Streetview I can safely say it will be a nice drive. We have spots lined up to stop before we go in to the Dutch tunnel and a spot to meet up afterwards, plus the lunch break, plus an afternoon stop just west of Rotterdam and then on to the hotel for around 5pm or so.

A full commemorative pack will be created with route plans included, and there will be downloads for Garmin and Tomtom satnavs showing the Friday, Saturday and Sunday routes.

It will be hard to keep 35 cars together but we hope to keep most people with us most of the time.

having walked through a lot of the route on Streetview I can safely say it will be a nice drive. We have spots lined up to stop before we go in to the Dutch tunnel and a spot to meet up afterwards, plus the lunch break, plus an afternoon stop just west of Rotterdam and then on to the hotel for around 5pm or so.

A full commemorative pack will be created with route plans included, and there will be downloads for Garmin and Tomtom satnavs showing the Friday, Saturday and Sunday routes.

It will be hard to keep 35 cars together but we hope to keep most people with us most of the time.

The route is looking really good John! Really can't wait for this, especially given the numbers that are going it's going to be one to remember I think!

I have never heard anybody mention the tunnel, its just weird. I ran the original route and told it to avoid toll roads and it took me a slightly strange way. I told it to show it with toll roads and it went across the sea, did a streetview and found myself in that tunnel.

http://www.westerscheldetunnel.nl/index.cfm?&language=en

Its not a stunning tunnel, just long and dual carriageway inside. It has SPECs cameras so we wont be racing, but we can slow down and get some good shots. We will group up on a slip road before we head in, get all the cameras on and then go. The toll booths are at the far end, we will go through there and then meet up again on another slip road and carry on for the lunch stop. There are only 2 booths that take cash, so it will take a while to run all of us through.

We are going to have to relay people at the front and back to block off a few junctions and keep the convoy together.

H.

You called?

I'll do the junction blocking to keep us together, I'll need Darron (Wild coyote) to work with me.

No doubt we will break up, peeps need to be prepared if they lose the convoy. Directions will be provided.

I have never heard anybody mention the tunnel, its just weird. I ran the original route and told it to avoid toll roads and it took me a slightly strange way. I told it to show it with toll roads and it went across the sea, did a streetview and found myself in that tunnel.

http://www.westerscheldetunnel.nl/index.cfm?&language=en

Its not a stunning tunnel, just long and dual carriageway inside. It has SPECs cameras so we wont be racing, but we can slow down and get some good shots. We will group up on a slip road before we head in, get all the cameras on and then go. The toll booths are at the far end, we will go through there and then meet up again on another slip road and carry on for the lunch stop. There are only 2 booths that take cash, so it will take a while to run all of us through.

Cheers for the info on the tunnel, I thought there may be some kind of speed cameras in there. I won't be going too fast through there then :D

Indeed - the pack will contain everything people need for the weekend so nobody needs to panic about routes etc (it's all in hand!)

There will also be Dragonball start-up and end screens for TomToms for those who know how to change them (I can post up instructions) as well as a Supra car icon you can use too (which I already do!) so every aspect is being catered for. I'll look at the possibility of doing it for Garmins too (if it's possible - those with Garmins might be able to put me straight here).

Just looked on Google - you can - so they'll be available for both!

Edited by ellis (see edit history)

I baught a new sat nav with euro maps included just in case. If you have a satnav it's easy if you get lost. Just follow directions to the next meet up or if all else fails the hotel!

What sat nav do you have? I have a test route that needs to checked on a Tomtom

Just ran this on my hokey kokey Binatone with 'special' TomTom and the route demo is working fine. Would be nice to get it verified on something that didnt cost £29 from Misco...

The first 35 miles are motorway btw, then its on to the backroads for a coast drive almost all the way.