The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Johnny's HKS Twin Build thread

hodge

you using a na power steering tank?? i might have missed it in the thread.

Yep I have mate. It keeps it away from cluttering up the inner wings and there's plenty of room infront of the plenum too. Result!!!!

• Replies 664
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Yep I have mate. It keeps it away from cluttering up the inner wings and there's plenty of room infront of the plenum too. Result!!!!

cool something i might consider actually, does look neat like that.

you going to make up a line and fixing for the bottom of the pump? or use stock?

Edited by Rob_Mitchell (see edit history)

Huge amount of work went on yesterday after a 19hr session on the car. Yep I do mean 19 hours lol. Plenty of monster and pizzas kept me n Bossco fueled up over the day/night.

Pics of progress.

Cams bolted in and torqued down.

149_Cams.jpg

VVTI oil feed Fitted but I had issues with clearance for the fuel line so I had to manipulate the oil line forwards slightly to get the fuel line in place.

150_VVTiCams.jpg

Whilst having a brew, I thought the stock wiring loom position where it went through the bulkhead was untidy so decided to re route it.

151_Looms.jpg

I pulled the loom out from the footwell, and instead of having it run along the bulkhead and down behind the plenum I tucked it under the ABS pump and then back through the bulkhead. Looks a world better now.

152_Looms.jpg

New cam oil seals

153_CamSeals.jpg

Cam pulleys in position and engine timed up.

154_Belt.jpg

155_Belt.jpg

I was slightly concerned about the VVTI pulley and the amount of play once it was bolted in place. Odviously because I didn't have the timing belt on I could loosely turn the pulley back 30 degrees with my hand, but the pulley had quite a bit forwards and backwards movement. Eventually I just put it down to the fact that this would be taken up once the wheel filled with oil.

Lower timing cover on. (everything was cleaned before it was refitted).

156_LowerCover.jpg

Crank pulley fitted and bolted it using locking tool I made.

157_CrankPulley.jpg

Because the aux pulley was all dirty and pitted and everything else was clean I thought I'd give it a quick polish up. It's turned out very nice indeed.

158_AuxPulley.jpg

159_Tensioners.jpg

EGT sensor fitted and hidden away in runner 6.

160_EGTSensor.jpg

Throttle body fitted.

Because I didn't want the motor sticking up and looking unsightly I opted to mount it on the underside of the TB. So as not to foul the chassis when the engine rock under load I made a small round hole in the chassis to fit the motor into.

161_ThrottleBody.jpg

162_Dipstick.jpg

163_ThrottleBody.jpg

Dipstick fitted and bolted to plenum which wasn't easy seems I've got hands like shovels and couldn't get my hand in, and once I did couldn't get it back out again lol.

164_ThrottleBody.jpg

Edited by johnny g (see edit history)

Time for part 2.

After 2 x 16" and 1 12" pizza we were back at it.

30 row oil cooler fitted.

165_OilCooler.jpg

And now to the rad and twin electric fans.

This proved to be a right laugh getting these two to mate correctly.

Basically the issue was the bosses on the rad were too long and the lugs on the fan shroud were too far forward which left a gap of at it's greatest 15mm between the shroud and rad. This may not seem a lot but if you think that the air produced by the fans will escape instead of being channeled to the rad it proved to be a problem.

166_Rad.jpg

167_Ballast.jpg

What i did was cut down the 4 bosses on the rad by over half, removed a small amount of material from the back of the lugs on the shroud so it had a tighter fit. I didn't take any pics of it unfortunately cos I got a piece of ally in my eye from cutting the boss off the rad and just forgot once I'd got it out sorry guys.

Alloy overflow tank fitted and tucked away under drivers light. HID box was also autosol'd as it was all rusty and rotten lol.

168_RadFitted.jpg

Rad fitted with fan shroud and fans.

169_FPR.jpg

Fuel pressure reg mounted on the bulkhead where the loom used to run. I need to pick up some Teflon lines for this to get plummed in on Monday.

170_FPR.jpg

Test fitted the TRD strut brace to make sure it cleared the turbos.

171_TRD Brace.jpg

AND FINALLY at 3.30am test fitted the ETS intercooler.

I'm off to get some wire today to make some looms up for the fans, TPS sensor, washer bottle relocation, and foot pedal.

Edited by johnny g (see edit history)

Well, I really never expected that much progress in one session! It's a pretty sensational effort really. I can't thank 'em enough! The end of the road is in sight - loads done, still a fair bit to do, but it's a hell of a lot closer! Chuffed!

Well, I really never expected that much progress in one session! It's a pretty sensational effort really. I can't thank 'em enough! The end of the road is in sight - loads done, still a fair bit to do, but it's a hell of a lot closer! Chuffed!

Wooow that is what I call a grafter..! Congrats, looking really good..!

A carbon fiber sparkplug cover would would look nice here!

Cheers fellas. Was a bit of an ironman seeeion haha. enjoyed it though, what I didnt mention was id just came in off a night shift :D

Nice work, coming together now, must remember to take Lee down a few cans of that monster:D

Think it was a combo of the monster and the Tikka pizza mate lol.

Your making a name for yourself "man with know how". All your work is very tidy, and swift, I imagine it's quite hard to get both right!!

In all fairness, Johnny and myself have been planning the build for a while before I started stripping the car down. Everything was bought prior to the car being dropped off well we thought, still so far I've had to order a fortune worth of "bits n bobs really" that you just don't account for when planning a build.

Credit to Johnny though, he's very easy to work with, if I need something he or myself orders it straight away without issue.

Think it was a combo of the monster and the Tikka pizza mate lol.

In all fairness, Johnny and myself have been planning the build for a while before I started stripping the car down. Everything was bought prior to the car being dropped off well we thought, still so far I've had to order a fortune worth of "bits n bobs really" that you just don't account for when planning a build.

Credit to Johnny though, he's very easy to work with, if I need something he or myself orders it straight away without issue.

Its all the little bits that add upto the cost of the build dude. Swift work your doing. great pics too, we all love pics, more more more!!! :D

Its all the little bits that add upto the cost of the build dude. Swift work your doing. great pics too, we all love pics, more more more!!! :D

I remember a post a while back about someone wanting a cost breakdown for a single build and 1 of the items were a grand for "bits n bob". Which people don't ever budget into a build. Couldn't be any closer to the truth really.

I really enjoying the build to be honest. Johnnys basically given me a free reign on however I want to do it (apart from no chrome lol). So I can be as creative as I like and try new things.

Cars coming out the garage tomorrow so I can do the battery relocation and run the power cable to the rear of the car. I've got a few others little jobs to do aswell but most will be left until next week now.

I remember a post a while back about someone wanting a cost breakdown for a single build and 1 of the items were a grand for "bits n bob". Which people don't ever budget into a build. Couldn't be any closer to the truth really.

I really enjoying the build to be honest. Johnnys basically given me a free reign on however I want to do it (apart from no chrome lol). So I can be as creative as I like and try new things.

Cars coming out the garage tomorrow so I can do the battery relocation and run the power cable to the rear of the car. I've got a few others little jobs to do aswell but most will be left until next week now.

Couldn't agree more :) Its the small things that add up.... I'm not even going to bother thinking how much my "bits and bobs" on the supra set me back...

You really have to be proper cashed up to have a proper build.

Nice work John its looking top dollar

Spent the full day on the car today but it's funny that I've got nothing to show for it lol. Battery cables are in the boot, washer bottle is in the boot and all piped up. I've got to put all the boot and install back together tomorrow and I've got some shopping to do.

Spent the full day on the car today but it's funny that I've got nothing to show for it lol. Battery cables are in the boot, washer bottle is in the boot and all piped up. I've got to put all the boot and install back together tomorrow and I've got some shopping to do.

'Big bit syndrome' lol, little bits that nobody notices take the time. Cracking work :)

TUT TUT, poor show, poor show!!!

Yeah go buy some more monster, that might remind you to take pics. :D

been having another looksi over the pics to see if i can't steal any idea's for my car to ask Lee to do? John i've noticed that you have drilled the chassis leg, is it ok to drill a hole in the chassis leg? i would have thought that if any damage was to occur to a chassis leg then the Insurance would be void?