The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Johnny's HKS Twin Build thread

hodge

been having another looksi over the pics to see if i can't steal any idea's for my car to ask Lee to do? John i've noticed that you have drilled the chassis leg, is it ok to drill a hole in the chassis leg? i would have thought that if any damage was to occur to a chassis leg then the Insurance would be void?

I was thinking the same if im honest (just didnt want to say) normally if a chassis leg is damaged at all the car is an instant write off.

• Replies 664
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

A few pics I took but nothing amazing.

How the boot and rear install looked.

attachment.php?attachmentid=130706&stc=1&d=1303113926

Fuel pump setup.

attachment.php?attachmentid=130707&stc=1&d=1303113926

Install stripped out.

attachment.php?attachmentid=130708&stc=1&d=1303113926

A splitter I made up for johnnys amps.

attachment.php?attachmentid=130709&stc=1&d=1303113926

I'll get sone more pics up tomorrow once I get stuff put back together.

01.jpg

02.jpg

03.jpg

04.jpg

Edited by johnny g (see edit history)

I can't see it being an issue to be honest. If you look along the side of it there's loads of holes there with black grommets in and they are pretty big holes to be honest.

You do have to be carefull making holes in chassis legs, it's a bit of a no no. Insurance company's don't like it and will use it as a reason not to pay out, it compromises the strength.

You do have to be carefull making holes in chassis legs, it's a bit of a no no. Insurance company's don't like it and will use it as a reason not to pay out, it compromises the strength.

If that's the case you could simply just box it in from underneath and restore the integrity that may have been lost, whilst still allowing room for engine rock.

If that's the case you could simply just box it in from underneath and restore the integrity that may have been lost, whilst still allowing room for engine rock.

That's right, on big engine conversions that require sections of the chassis legs cuting out you have to add box section to retain the original strength.

This is a bit different as it's a relatively small hole so you would have to slide a metal tube inside the hole and weld that in place. The chassis leg is box section it's self so you can't get to the hole from the other side.

Awesome work..Build looks great..

I am a newbie to the Supra,hence this question. This car has the OEM bottom end, and is gonna be running around 700hp plus.. I assume that is within the safe limit of the load on the rods and pistons?

Thats bloody strong internals for OEM..

Awesome work..Build looks great..

I am a newbie to the Supra,hence this question. This car has the OEM bottom end, and is gonna be running around 700hp plus.. I assume that is within the safe limit of the load on the rods and pistons?

Thats bloody strong internals for OEM..

There's 5-6 cars pushing 750bhp on stock internals now. Keep it cool, well tuned and not too aggressive and you're ok really. Keeping the boost pressure sensible is a good idea too :)

There's 5-6 cars pushing 750bhp on stock internals now. Keep it cool, well tuned and not too aggressive and you're ok really. Keeping the boost pressure sensible is a good idea too :)

Must add that do not raise the rpm limiter to much and your rods stays in the engine :p

I think that crazy power on stock internals is something like 850-1000bhp, not 700-750bhp.

I've been in a 700+ hp supra and it was the most intense car I've ever been in in my life (Jevansio's supra). Personally unless your an amazing driver which IMO 99% of us are not anything more that 750 is useless unless you either have a death wish or like bragging in the pub.

Got a few bits done last night.

Washer bottle is secured in the boot.

attachment.php?attachmentid=130710&stc=1&d=1303114247

attachment.php?attachmentid=130711&stc=1&d=1303114247

Got all the boot install refitted.

attachment.php?attachmentid=130712&stc=1&d=1303114247

Now here is the comparision between the TT 6 speed pedal and the corvette one I have to use for the drive by wire. As you can see there a total field away. The TT6 pedal sits about 80mm back so fitting would be a huge issue.

attachment.php?attachmentid=130713&stc=1&d=1303114247

Well after a couple of hours of trial and error I managed to get it in. I need to make up a couple of brackets but it's looking good.

attachment.php?attachmentid=130714&stc=1&d=1303114247

attachment.php?attachmentid=130715&stc=1&d=1303114288

Sick of banging my head off the steering column I moved onto the engine bay for a while. The PAS pump was very red and dirty compared the engine so I gave it a lick of hi temp paint, lightweight pulley and a shiney TRD polished cap I had lying around.

attachment.php?attachmentid=130716&stc=1&d=1303114288

attachment.php?attachmentid=130717&stc=1&d=1303114288

Turbo oil drain lines are in. It took me over 3hrs but there in lol.

attachment.php?attachmentid=130718&stc=1&d=1303114288

attachment.php?attachmentid=130719&stc=1&d=1303114301

01.jpg

02.jpg

03.jpg

04.jpg

05.jpg

06.jpg

07.jpg

08.jpg

10.jpg

11.jpg

Edited by johnny g (see edit history)

Am loving that pedal. Looks pretty good in that position!

It's not totally secured but the bottom mounts it so only have to make a too mounting bracket and were laughing. I can't get my arm in to reach where the top bracket is going to go so it's going to be guess work for the mounting hole PCD. I've got a pretty good eye for stuff like that so shouldn't be far away 1st attempt.

Just finished off all the gauges and mounted them in the a-pilar pod today. Tonight I'm going to mock up as much of the IC pipework as pos and try n sort the bracket for the throttle cable if all goes to plan, but I'm not banking on it lol.

I'm still waiting for quite a few parts arriving over the next few days so once there here things will kick off again.

I've been in a 700+ hp supra and it was the most intense car I've ever been in in my life (Jevansio's supra). Personally unless your an amazing driver which IMO 99% of us are not anything more that 750 is useless unless you either have a death wish or like bragging in the pub.

Yep yep, but my point was that the OEM internals can easily hold 700-750bhp and you are pushing your luck at 850-1000bhp. Sorry for the ot!