Johnny's HKS Twin Build thread

hodge

• Replies 664
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Looks great seeing two big twins on a VVT-i, your certainly doing a great job.

One question though..... looking at the pictures just out of interest really.

It looks like there is alot of weight hanging off the side of the head, and I would imagine it will get very very hot there too.

I guess it shouldn't be any different to the standard twin turbo set up, but it just looks like its all further away from the bolting points.

Whats your thoughts about the extra stress, this may cause?

(NB: If it is actually heavier than the standard set up of course).

Looks great seeing two big twins on a VVT-i, your certainly doing a great job.

One question though..... looking at the pictures just out of interest really.

It looks like there is alot of weight hanging off the side of the head, and I would imagine it will get very very hot there too.

I guess it shouldn't be any different to the standard twin turbo set up, but it just looks like its all further away from the bolting points.

Whats your thoughts about the extra stress, this may cause?

(NB: If it is actually heavier than the standard set up of course).

It's a lot heavier. I lifted the head and turbos off together by myself when I stripped it down, it's a huge strain for 2 of us lifting this into place. It is going to get VERY hot in the engine bay, your right there hence all the heat wrap. I'm also going to be making a couple of heatshields for the turbos and another for the brake and clutch servos just to protect it and stop the fluids boiling.

Oh and the sound deadening is going from the under side of the bonnet, but Johnny doesn't know that you haha.

Just as a point of interest there is no way on earth this job could have been done without either removing the head or the engine. I was very surprised when lee told me I'd be best pulling the engine to fit it but I know where he's coming from now. It's ridiculous how tight the fitment is.

It's a lot heavier. I lifted the head and turbos off together by myself when I stripped it down, it's a huge strain for 2 of us lifting this into place. It is going to get VERY hot in the engine bay, your right there hence all the heat wrap. I'm also going to be making a couple of heatshields for the turbos and another for the brake and clutch servos just to protect it and stop the fluids boiling.

Oh and the sound deadening is going from the under side of the bonnet, but Johnny doesn't know that you haha.

Just as a point of interest there is no way on earth this job could have been done without either removing the head or the engine. I was very surprised when lee told me I'd be best pulling the engine to fit it but I know where he's coming from now. It's ridiculous how tight the fitment is.

Ah, thanks for the info.

I knew it looked heavy, but from what you have just said it must be very very heavy.

Great to see the old boundaries being pushed though, Johnny's a brave man taking this on.

Great work so far!!

Johnny's a brave man taking this on.

Thanks mate :)

It's a little different doing the twins - and the VVTi; but I'm more interested/concerned/apprehensive about how the new DBW throttle arrangement will work, it's from a Corvette Z06 (pedal and TB), so it's all very modern, very new. All parts were purchased new for it - so it's a case of seeing how it goes.

It's a little different doing the twins - and the VVTi; but I'm more interested/concerned/apprehensive about how the new DBW throttle arrangement will work, it's from a Corvette Z06 (pedal and TB), so it's all very modern, very new. All parts were purchased new for it - so it's a case of seeing how it goes.

That sounds very interesting indeed, general motors parts aren't they?

Can't see any reason why they won't work, as long as the sensor signal can be read by your management system (and they are all practically the same thing aren't they 0 to 5 volts).

I think you will need a neck brace everytime you drive the car once its up and running, as your neck is going to be under a fair amount of pressure when those bad boys spin up.

Great times.

I'm sure Ryan will nail it when he gets it all calibrated.

I'm totally excited about getting this all together now. Once it's all together Johnny and I get the oil and water lines we'll have to measure up for some thermosleeve. I'm under no illusion that whatever isn't heat insulated is going to melt or pop.

That sounds very interesting indeed, general motors parts aren't they?

Can't see any reason why they won't work, as long as the sensor signal can be read by your management system (and they are all practically the same thing aren't they 0 to 5 volts).

I think you will need a neck brace everytime you drive the car once its up and running, as your neck is going to be under a fair amount of pressure when those bad boys spin up.

Great times.

Hehe. Yea, the Syvecs can do the DBW no issues. The main issue is the characterisation of the TB and the Pedal. I've skimmed the information from the MoTeC site, so that the Syvecs guys can build a calibration for the throttle body. The next item is the selection of the throttle map and the curve I want to run - that's proving to be VERY interesting reading.

Hehe. Yea, the Syvecs can do the DBW no issues. The main issue is the characterisation of the TB and the Pedal. I've skimmed the information from the MoTeC site, so that the Syvecs guys can build a calibration for the throttle body. The next item is the selection of the throttle map and the curve I want to run - that's proving to be VERY interesting reading.

Way way to technical for me, now where's my spanners lol.

I'm glad to see you're ripping the standard DBW out - Ryan had a night mare with mine on my old VVTI with the Syvecs...

Yes mate, that's part of the reason I never went Syvecs with the stock DBW before hand with BPU/TTC - and I didn't want to retrograde to cable throttle. So, I've got a 2010 TB and pedal assembly - let's see what it can do.

Whats the benefit of going DBW?

Main one is to be a bit different for me really, but from what I've read/seen DBW systems can also react rapidly to changes in the aim throttle position. DBW can do throttle blipping on down change, more controlled launch and traction control and elimates the need for a idle control valve and retain a good idle/cold start.

I also like the idea of mapping the throttle input relationship to the opening of the butterfly. Lazy pedal or sensitive pedal - just select the map :)

Here we go on the Spec List as it will stand (I think).

Bottom End

Stock 2JZ-GTE

OEM refresh with new gaskets all around

VVTi Head

BC VVTi 272 9.6mm lift cams

BC Upgraded valve springs

Reshim for OEM clearance

-12AN fittings welded on and smoothed and vented to atmosphere

Turbo and Exhaust

HKS Twin 3037's

HKS GT Wastegates

HKS Twin manifolds

3" Midpipe

Tanabe Medallion Touring Exhaust

Cooling

SRD/ETS 4" Intercooler

SRD Alloy Radiator

PHR Twin Fan Kit

Oil cooler, -10AN fittings

Fuel

Jay Racing Brushless 044 Pump

-8AN lines to 2x -6AN split to stock fuel rail

800cc drop injectors

Aeromotive FPR

4Bar Static fuel pressure

Intake

Greddy replica manifold with Q45 flange

SBA Tuning adapter plate for throttle body

Corvette Z06 DBW throttle body (with matched pedal)

Driveline

V161

Stock flywheel

RPS Max Puk clutch

18" Volk Challenge Wheels

245/35 and 285/30 tyres

UK Brakes all round

ICE and Security

Alpine D106 Flipout screen

Alpine KCA iPod Video lead

Alpine TV2000 Freeview Receiver

Alpine Parrot Bluetooth integration

Planet Audio Big Bang 10" x 2 Subs (rear seat delete)

Planet Audio Big Bang 13cm components

Planet Audio Big Bang 650.1 Amplifier

Planet Audio Big Bang 150x4 Amplifier x 2

BitONE Digital Signal Processor for fully active system

Clifford Concept 650Mk1 with auto closure, auto close, auto start.

ECU and Misc

Syvecs S6 GP

UK Bonnet

HID's in dipped and fog light

Nice spec, with the extra drain have you considered an uprated alternator? i was on a phr street alternator but just upgraded to a phr race with the drain from my new pump.

Funny enough - am just about to order! Mind reader Mr P

This is quite ironic really as I text Johnny a few hours ago telling him to get a new alternator cos his was about goosed.

Ok guys, head is on, all plenum wiring is done, fuel rail is plummed in, cams are in but need to be torques down. Tomorrow I'll finish off the cams and get it timed up, fit some covers etc etc.

The only issue I've ran into so far is the oil feed for the rear turbo. I've got a fitting directly into the block but the wastegate is about 10mm from the fitting so there's no way I can get an AN female over the top of it. I think I'm going to have to remove the fitting from the block and try and get a banjo to fit. If not then I'm going to have to take the oil feed from turbo 1 and "T" off it to turbo 2.

I'll look at this at a later date though, as I want to get as much of the front of the engine assembled as I can. And I've a small hole to cut in the chassis for the motor for the TB to fit through so it doesn't foul.

I'll stick some pics up tomorrow of the progress. It's starting to take shape now though. I'm going to get the turbo housings and a couple of other bits sent off to Rob tomorrow for polishing too.

I was going to wait until Johnny had been up on Saturday before I posted pics up but seems he can't make it this week here you go.

141_Assembled.jpg

142_Assembled.jpg

143_Assembled.jpg

All intake wiring is nicely tucked away.

144_Assembled.jpg

Powdercoated PAS tank.

145_Assembled.jpg

146_Assembled.jpg

147_Assmebled.jpg

I'll post some more later after I start the build up.

Edited by johnny g (see edit history)