Johnny's HKS Twin Build thread

hodge

• Replies 664
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

A little more custom work gone on since my last update.

The water pipe which comes out of the head and goes to the throttle body wasn't needed, and seems I'm not a fan of blankung pipes off I've just cut it off and will be getting the hole welded over tonight.

01_Block.jpg

02_Block.jpg

Next came the plenum. I've had the flange I made welded on to where I cut the old flange off. I've also masked off the faces I didn't want to powder coat on all the parts.

03_Plenum.jpg

04_Plenum.jpg

05_Plenum.jpg

The water pipe that runs around the back oh the engine I've modded those to hold a -6AN return line from turbo 2. I've also welded in the hard pipe which goes to the matrix as I'm not a fan of rubber hoses at all.

06_Water.jpg

07_Water.jpg

And fitted to the car.

09_Water.jpg

10_Water.jpg

11_Water.jpg

I dropped a pile of stuff to be powder coated this morning. Now folks I'm off to bed. Good night.

Edited by johnny g (see edit history)

show off! thats how my pipe work should look lol i have sorted mine now though.

this is going to look very good when finished

Cheers Rob. Well all being good I'll get the head, turbos, downpipes, wastegates, plenum and fuel rail all fitted by the weekend. All I'm waiting for now to complete that bit is some more stainless steel cable ties to fasten the heat wrap on with.

Dont think much of that cardboard head gasket Hodge ;) Good choice Johnny, chrome is gay!

Well I couldn't get a headgasket from Toyota they were all out so I thought a cardboard 1 would do the trick.

I've got a -10 Oil Cooler sat here next to me as well to bring over when I'm next there. Lord knows there's going to be more stuff!

Aye just fetch it over, I'll stick it on the bill lol.

I just need to sort the fittings and gaskets for the turbos from that company I sent you the link for. Everything else is just welding, fabrication, powdercoating and other bits I can sort from my end, really.

Oh forgot to say my welder tells me he loves you, your keeping him in whiskey pmsl.

I just need to sort the fittings and gaskets for the turbos from that company I sent you the link for. Everything else is just welding, fabrication, powdercoating and other bits I can sort from my end, really.

Oh forgot to say my welder tells me he loves you, your keeping him in whiskey pmsl.

I can see my holiday home disappearing :(

Bit more work done today.

Knock sensor fitted and the loom is made up for it. Still need to put a hole through the bulkhead to feed the cables through.

01_Knock.jpg

Map sensor fitted and loom made up

Also the igniter has been relocated next to it.

02_MAP.jpg

Drilled and tapped runner 6 with an 1/8NPT thread for the EGT sensor fitting.

03_EGT.jpg

Oil cooler adaptor plate, with oil temp and pressure sensors.

04_Oil.jpg

The plate has 2 ports 1/8NPT but we need 3 as the syvecs will have it's own oil temp sensor. This is so the revs can be limited until the oil is up to temperature.

05_Oil.jpg

-8AN Fuel filter assembly with a Y-piece adaptor to 2 x -6AN, 1 for each side of the rail.

06_Fuel.jpg

I've cut the cable ready to extend all the injector wires and the cam sensor so all the loom can be hidden under the runners. I'll be doing all the soldering tomorrow.

This really is coming on a treat. I need to make sure I keep Hodge supplied with everything he needs!

The DBW Pedal Assembly should be here on Monday, and the wiring on Tuesday. I've got another spare Pedal harness as well, so one can be played with and we still have an original.

All go.

Can covers and waterpump had fittings welded on tonight. Just the arduous task of blending them all in now. I do everything by hand to get the curves right. It's a long crappy job but the results are well worth having no skin on your fingers when there finished lol.

Can covers and waterpump had fittings welded on tonight. Just the arduous task of blending them all in now. I do everything by hand to get the curves right. It's a long crappy job but the results are well worth having no skin on your fingers when there finished lol.

yeah his cam covers do look great when there all smoothed in, nice work hodge

Here's a few pics from the work I've done the last couple of days.

I've welded and blended -12AN fittings onto the cam covers. It looks a bit rough in the pics but there really smooth. Johnny wants them powder coated black with a silver flake in the laquer. I've got an awesome powder coater on tap to use just along the road so jobs a gudun.

063_CamCovers.jpg

064_CamCovers.jpg

065_CamCovers.jpg

Also blended a -6AN fitting onto the water pump for a turbo water feed return line as I'm not a fan of rubber hoses. I'm going to use braided PTFE (Teflon) hoses.

066_WaterPump.jpg

This is also getting powder coated.

I've extended all the intake side wiring loom I needed to so I could hide all the wiring on that side of the car.

Only plugs I need will be, 6 injectors, cam sensor, map sensor and TPS. The TPS will need hard wiring onto a new multiplug for the corvette throttle body to operate the drive by wire. The plug also will need a positive and negative which I'd have though will come from the Syvecs or at least the positive will to control the butterfly, this is a job for Ryan when he comes up.

067_Injectors.jpg

So on to the plenum. What an utter ball ache this was.

None of the faces were flat which made life very hard indeed. The adaptor plate I took into work and skimmed it so that wasn't an issue, but due to the shape the plenum itself was impossible to skim. I did a surface flatness check on it and found it to have s run out of 1.32mm in 1 spot.

The next problem I came across was, when I bolted the adaptor plate to the intake runners with the bolts provided in the kit, the counterbore in the plenum chamber were to shallow to house the bolts which wouldn't let the plenum sit flat. So a little improvisation was in order.

I bolted the adaptor plate in nice and tight with the a new stock gasket, I then masked the holes in the runners off and had to flapper wheel the bolt headsto give me enough clearance for the bolts to sit in the counterbores.

068_Plenum.jpg

069_Plenum.jpg

070_Plenum.jpg

071_Plenum.jpg

072_Plenum.jpg

The next issue was the uneven surface of the plenum. The gasket that came with it was very thin and there's no way it would have taken up the play, so I ran a very small bead of Sikaflex around each runner on top of the gasket, before I mounted the plenum to it, I bolted it all together, checked inside the chamber for light around the runner and none to be seen, happy days.

The runners, plenum chamber, fuel rail and PAS tank have already been powder coated black with a silver flake. I must admit I wasn't keen on the idea but after I had it done, it looks the nuts.

073_Plenum.jpg

074_Plenum.jpg

075_Plenum.jpg

I then test fitted the Throttle body. This will need to go to Ryan with the corvette accelerator pedal once I've got it to fit so he can do a calibration programme for it to work with the Syvecs.

076_Intake.jpg

077_ThrottleBody.jpg

078_ThrottleBody.jpg

Next I've removed the tape from the threaded plate at the rear of the plenum. I'm going to need a couple of blankung plugs for this as the drive by wire doesn't use an idle control valve, it's all controlled by the throttle body and Syvecs.

079_Blanking.jpg

Fuel rail in with 800cc injectors.

Ignore the retaining plates on the back of the injectors, these will need powder coating, I couldn't get them done until I test fitted them and knew what I needed to cut off. They will go to the powder coaters on Monday with all the other bits.

080_FuelRail.jpg

Duel feed rail with fitting for the FPR

081_FuelRail.jpg

Final shot, this is how it looks.

Early start for me this morning, I want to get everything prepared for when the head goes on next week. I'm just waiting on some more stainless cable ties for the heat wrap to do the manifolds and other down pipe.

082_Intake.jpg

Looks lovely although i fear it wont last, when i did mine all powder coated it flaked off the cam covers in no time, couple thousand miles most, the intake manifold lasted about 10,000 miles i guess before that flaked off an all.

Looks lovely although i fear it wont last, when i did mine all powder coated it flaked off the cam covers in no time, couple thousand miles most, the intake manifold lasted about 10,000 miles i guess before that flaked off an all.

Ah bummer.

The only plus point is that for me to take a couple of of thousand miles is about a year :D

Have you just gone with polished items now Jamie?