Johnny's HKS Twin Build thread

hodge

• Replies 664
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I'll super resin it then boublewrap the inner wings before I lower the head on with the turbos just to make sure it's not damaged at all. Hopefully I'm going to test fit the head with turbos and plenum on Saturday. This is so I can see how much of the turbo side I can bolt on to the head to lower it on, and to measure up the flange for the drive by wire throttle body.

nice and clean now make sure you look after your engine bay jonny lol

looking good john. That blue bay is cleaning up nice.

very nice, seems to have cleaned up great.

It's took some elbow grease that's for sure. It was pretty dirty. Lol.

I'm making a flange for the DBW throttle tonight, also drilling and tapping out the top water neck for the turbo water fittings.

I've also removed the idle stabilizer from the PAS pump. I've cut up the 1 way valve and will having the threaded bolt centre welded up to block the hole up.

Sterling work again, John! Loving the progress :D

This is going to be ace when finished! Great car to start with and awesome turbo choice(s)! ;)

I'm quite enjoying the built to be honest. It's the build up I'm most looking forward to, that's where I can put my own mark on the build. Making it look that bit different.

Hey Dan

Yeah the hose is fine mate. I checked with the hydraulics place before I used it. It's not rubber inside it PTFE (Teflon) made but a converlute type so it doesn't crease either. I was also told it would be fine with race fuel too:eyebrows:

OK mate fair enough - as long as the hydraulics place knew it was going to be submerged. It's the outside that perishes and breaks down - not the inside or lining.

Big update today. Got loads done.

Things started off slow. I began test fitting stuff to the head and found the plenum holes were a field away to where they should be. Also the faces wernt flat either on the adaptor plate, it was bent. So I had to take them sown to work and mill them flat. 4 hours later job done and it was ready to fit.

After a bit of time and a few mods with some holes and counterbores I got it all together and tested onto the head. Bang tidy.

Next the turbo manifolds went on.

Then I made a headgasket out of card so I could test fit the head and work out the best way to fit the turbo kit as it a damn tight fit.

032_Gasket.jpg

I then began to heatwrap the downpipes only to run out of heatwrap after the 1st 1 so that was that then lol.

033_Downpipe.jpg

So next I Bolted the turbos to the manifolds and lifted the head on.

034_Asssembled.jpg

035_Assembled.jpg

036_Plenum.jpg

037_Plenum.jpg

Then realizing the downpipes wouldn't go on with the head in place I lifted the head back off and bolted the downpipes and wastegates to it.

038_Head.jpg

039_Head.jpg

040_Head.jpg

Then the head was lifted back on.

041_Complete.jpg

042_Turbos.jpg

043_Turbos.jpg

Giving myself a bit of a breather from the engine bay, the fuel lines went in.

But 1st I cleaned out the top of the tank cos it was rotten.

044_FuelLines.jpg

Then the tank was lowered slightly to get the lines in and bolted back up.

045_FuelLines.jpg

046_FuelLines.jpg

Edited by johnny g (see edit history)

I made a flange for the Drive by wire throttle.

047_DBWAdapter.jpg

Bolted on the TB

048_DBWAdapter.jpg

049_DBWAdapter.jpg

050_DBWAdapter.jpg

I wanted the TB to sit with the motor underneath to keep things tidy. Unfortunately with the flange on the plenum it just wasn't happening. So intent with having it where I wanted it I chopped the flange from the plenum.

051_Plenum.jpg

052_Plenum.jpg

054_DBW.jpg

I then bolted the Plenum back in place and marked up where the flange and TB will be going. I then taped it on just to see how it would fit. Looks great. I'll get it all welded up on Monday night.

055_DBW.jpg

056_Intake.jpg

057_Intake.jpg

Finally it all came apart again for heat wrap on the turbo side and the plenum to be welded and powdercoated.

053_Plenum.jpg

Edited by johnny g (see edit history)

Am loving that. Looks great even before the powder coating.

Shame the plenum is a bit of a mare, but I only bought an imitation one, so that we can get it fitted to prove the DBW. Down the line, that'll be replaced with a genuine item.

This is going to be awsome once its finished, cant wait to see this at a meet Johnny :D

Cheers bud, I must admit, I'm very much looking forward to it being a bit of a one off with the DBW setup it has, and the HKS Twin + VVTi extras. Should be a very responsive throttle on it.

John and Johnny its coming along well guys, those two twins look the nuts. :D I think Johnny should be on hand mate, with cups of Monster for you, and giving you constant massages while your working away. :D

John and Johnny its coming along well guys, those two twins look the nuts. :D I think Johnny should be on hand mate, with cups of Monster for you, and giving you constant massages while your working away. :D

I'm not his type :(

All I can do is keep the parts coming as he needs them. I've got the FMIC and Rad coming in the next few days, or so. That's, the rest is just fitting, powdercoating, etc. It's getting there, nicely :)