jevansio

• Replies 267
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Cheers guys :)

Got the door back on today, I've fitted the oem glass until I get all the niggles sorted out (mainly the weather strip). It's actually more difficult to close than the original door with it being so light, it has no momentum when you close it like the original heavy door does. Note the door doesn't have a gap it just wasn't closed fully in the 1st shot.

attachment.php?attachmentid=122682&d=1289150483&stc=1

attachment.php?attachmentid=122683&d=1289150483&stc=1

Also solved a lot of my inital problems:

2. It does actually have provision for the oem bolt on mirrors, but they're just not drilled out. I've actually gone one step further and gutted a stock mirror, the electrics & motors weighed a ton, I will now end up with a stock looking lightweight mirror but will detail more pics when I start working on it later

3. The bump stops are not essential, when the window hits full height it stops, I will align it perfectly when I get the lexan installed

4. I ended up hacksawing that little rod out and have fitted it to the cf door using a bolt. It's got a little play in it so will make an aluminium rod of the exact diameter but this is a small issue

5. I filed all holes this morning so the door has every plastic fitting the old one did

6. I just removed that big plate (extra weight) and will see if the door closes well enough without it when the inner door panel is on

Still a bit work to do, but the car is drivable now which means my mapping session & geometry setup can go ahead next week :)

Img_5894.jpg

Img_5895.jpg

Nice mate, would you say the shut lines and gaps are as good as oem?

Definately, I think when it's sprayed no-one could tell it's not a stock door. But it def don't "feel" like a stock door, theres no way you could slam it like you can a stock door, it feels flimsy (not how it bolts to the hinges, that's solid) just the overall feel of the door.

If you want an oem lightweight door I would advise the NUR door conversion for you (esp if you want an oem feel to it), with the metal frame it'll retain some of the oem doors niceness, but I doubt it'll be as light as this, but herein lies the problem, if you want lightweight, it's never going to be as oem as a stock door.

Good progress Jay!

Not got those wings yet but shall be in touch as soon as I do to get you the weights ;)

Excellent mate cheers :)

Dont suppose you know how much weight the NUR door skins save do you?

I don't bud, I weighed this door (minus dorr card & lexan) and it was around 9.9kg, door card is 3kg, lexan is 2.5kg, stock door when I took it off was IIRC 30.5kg (inc glass & door card). I'm pretty sure now I won't see 20kg per door savings, maybe 15kg. My gut tells me the NUR would save 10kg a door (but that's just a total gut feeling)

I've got a few irons on the fire WRT the mirrors, I ordered some carbon bike ones from DemonTweeks, but they were far too small. I went down Paul Woods who has just bought an FZR400, and the mirrors off that actually look quite good, got some from ebay so will be trying some different things out, might end up putting the oem ones on if I can't find anything that works though

Also got the lexan in. It's a lot floppier than the glass, and shutting the door isn't as easy. I am trying to adjust it best it can. Once thing is for sure, this is fast becoming an all out race car. My plan was to make it as light as I could, but refrain from the raw race car feel, but it's slowly creeping that way :/

Also got the lexan in. It's a lot floppier than the glass, and shutting the door isn't as easy. I am trying to adjust it best it can. Once thing is for sure, this is fast becoming an all out race car. My plan was to make it as light as I could, but refrain from the raw race car feel, but it's slowly creeping that way :/

Check out pics of Ryans car to see how he got round the floppy issue :D

Interested to hear how you get on with the mirrors as my cage pretty blocks the passenger side mirror from view so need to sort something else out.