Jays 1300kg Weight Thread

jevansio

• Replies 267
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I've decided to ditch the lexan in the doors, it's just not street enough for me, the carbon with the glass in works exactly like a normal door, once painted you'd prolly not know - which is exactly the mindframe I'm using for my Supe

On the plus side the wing mirrors I took a punt on have turned up. They've got a matt black finish which I will prolly get sprayed gloss black, are non-electric, have a nice curve which looks pretty OEM, and have just the right angle to the mounting bracket to fit the curved Supra door. They might look shite on the car, but I ain't got many options and need a mirror of some form or another putting on sharpish as driving without one is a PITA as well as being illegal

attachment.php?attachmentid=123158&stc=1&d=1290105965

attachment.php?attachmentid=123159&stc=1&d=1290105965

attachment.php?attachmentid=123160&stc=1&d=1290105965

Got my mapping session tomorrow, getting a bit anxious as I always do beforehand :D

Img_5900.jpg

Img_5902.jpg

Img_5905.jpg

Guest Woodsport

I think they look good, that Johnny person knows nowt! :)

To be honest for what they cost and the weight of them v stock mirrors that's mission accomplished, they suit what you're doing in my opinion mate.

Cheers guys,

I know they aren't as good as stock mirrors, but I'm at a point now where I'm looking to shed weight whereever I can. To find a set of mirrors for £25 brand new that people accept as looking OK that weigh a fraction of the stockers, as Paul says is mission accomplished.

The more I look at them the more I like them, I quite like having small details on the car that no-one else has, they match may Golf GTI front lights well :D

I know they aren't as good as stock mirrors, but I'm at a point now where I'm looking to shed weight whereever I can. To find a set of mirrors for £25 brand new that people accept as looking OK that weigh a fraction of the stockers, as Paul says is mission accomplished.

Time to attack the interior, take the carpets out and go round with a screwdriver and spanner to remove anything else.

You thought about the carbon roof like Ryan did?

Time to attack the interior, take the carpets out and go round with a screwdriver and spanner to remove anything else.

You thought about the carbon roof like Ryan did?

Funnily enough I don't think I'm going to do that. I don't want to compromise the street-ness of the car. It's why I put the glass windows back in, it's why I put the rear seat base back in. If you get in the car I want it to feel/look like any other T67 car (with bucket seats). Carpets help retain the stock feel, so does the dash and door cards - which are also staying in.

Carbon roof is an option, but TBH once I hit 1300kg that's weight reduction done for me, after that I will be focusing on getting to around whatever power a 76mm turbo will get me, say 850bhp, then all my money will be spent on keeping the thing in petrol & tyres :D

Edited by jevansio (see edit history)

Sorry J, don't think those new mirrors look too good mate :( Makes the car look slike it has Downs.

Are the stock mirrors really that heavy if the heating element, motors and wiring are stripped out? What was the weight saving going for these ones?

Mine weren't heated, they were retractors, and were pretty darn heavy. Couple that with the fact the doors are carbon and don't have the same fixings as the stock doors did. I wasn't happy cutting a complex shape in the carbon, then drilling support holes from behind, everything was just becoming a bit too complex. These are a simple fit (2 drill holes) and A LOT lighter - which I'm not only happy with for overall weight, but also hanging that weight from the doors themselves.

As I say, if I had my way I would have fitted stock mirrors, I am a stock man, hell avatar is Stock FTMFW :D, but sometimes you get in a situation where you have to make a decision, I have an MOT coming up, I needed a mirror on sharpish, gutting the stock mirrors is not as simple as you think (once the guts are out there is no way to attach the 2 plastic parts together, no way to mount the mirror glass, and no way to mount the unit to the car) :)

Mine weren't heated, they were retractors, and were pretty darn heavy. Couple that with the fact the doors are carbon and don't have the same fixings as the stock doors did. I wasn't happy cutting a complex shape in the carbon, then drilling support holes from behind, everything was just becoming a bit too complex. These are a simple fit (2 drill holes) and A LOT lighter - which I'm not only happy with for overall weight, but also hanging that weight from the doors themselves.

As I say, if I had my way I would have fitted stock mirrors, I am a stock man, hell avatar is Stock FTMFW :D, but sometimes you get in a situation where you have to make a decision, I have an MOT coming up, I needed a mirror on sharpish, gutting the stock mirrors is not as simple as you think (once the guts are out there is no way to attach the 2 plastic parts together, no way to mount the mirror glass, and no way to mount the unit to the car) :)

I hear you Jay and fully understand (and respect) your modification routes, it's really interesting to see what is working and perhaps more interestringly, what is not working out :)

The retracting mirrors are a fair bit heavier than the non-retracing, I had one of each earlier this year to compare and the weight was very noticable side by side. Stripped of their wiring and motors the stock non-retracting should be pretty light, they can still be adjusted manually - though as you say there doesn't seem to be a way of spitting them apart to strip them in the first place!