Jays 1300kg Weight Thread

jevansio

• Replies 267
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

He's leaving them blocked Jon to keep the water out.

i wouldn't be to worried about the water Jay, i probably have some of the biggest vents in supra world :D, the car has run fine for nearly 4 years and i do drown it when washing, besides if you cut the vents out you will make it even lighter ;)

• 2 weeks later...
Does anyone have the weight of the rear crash bar handy?

I've seen this:

4 bumper - front, aluminum

17.5 bumper - rear - (including .5 lbs bolts)

On a couple of sites, does that mean the rear bumper bar is 17.5lbs?

i would be carefull with this mate, i took mine off and replaced it with a section of BIG ally angle, the bar provides protection for the fuel tank in the event of a rear end, i think i would feel uncomfortable driving a car without one as it is a primary safety device, it doesnt weigh a ton for nothing, it probably does a secondary function of holding the chassis legs rigid as well

Oh right, well I do have the front ally bar lying around, maybe I could put that on the back? Does 17.5lbs seem the correct weight I'd be looking at?

Doesn't the TRD kit need this bar removing to fit the rear bumper too?

weight sounds about right Jay, the front ally thing is like tinfoil mate it provides no serious impact protection, it will provide chassis leg, radiator etc protection in a low speed shunt, in a big head on it will be vapourised, i'm as keen as the next man on weight removal Jay but driving the car on the road with no realistic rear impact protection for the fuel tank would bring me out in a cold sweat, i know its heavy but i really would think hard before running with nothing, this is my ally one i made, it saved a few kilos from memory and used the stock bolt locations

Picture 037.jpg

Cheers mate, I will take care of it :)

So removing the rear bumper, the manual doesn't say exactly how to do it, are those side fixings accessed from inside the rear wheel arches?

now your asking mate, from memory i think its double jointed arm up in the inner wing from inside the car time :D

now your asking mate, from memory i think its double jointed arm up in the inner wing from inside the car time :D

Lol, cheers bud

Thinking about the rear crash bar, do you not think that now you've replaced it you're taking as much risk as removing it completely, bit like we have no idea how that aluminium bar will react when a 1.5 tonne car hits it at say 30mph. Is it not a case of "if we're prepared to modify it we should be prepared to move it completely". Thoughts appreciated as always :)

Lol, cheers bud

Thinking about the rear crash bar, do you not think that now you've replaced it you're taking as much risk as removing it completely, bit like we have no idea how that aluminium bar will react when a 1.5 tonne car hits it at say 30mph. Is it not a case of "if we're prepared to modify it we should be prepared to move it completely". Thoughts appreciated as always :)

know what your saying Jay, i have worked in engineering all my life and although obviously i have not tested said ally crash bar you get a "feel" for the materials, the one i made was 3/8" angle and its the angle that gives the strength, you could hang a battle ship off it its that strong, i feel happy with it from my understanding of materials but if someone popped up tommorow and told me its 5 times weaker than the stock item i would quite happily take it off, throw it in the bin and put the stock one back on

lets be honest mate we dont have these cars to "drive like miss daisy" and sometimes they get driven hard, there are ways to make the cars lighter but i think at some stage a line has to be drawn, for instance would you remove the side impact protection from the doors, there will probably be people out there who have removed the rear impact bar but i for one strive to make my car safer not the other way round

:yeahthat:

I know the doors are fairly heavy piece and personaly i think you would be better off with a carbon/fibre glass door skin. You wouldnt believe how heavy door skins on old cars actualy are. Either that or i would be finding a way to make the original side impact bar work.

know what your saying Jay, i have worked in engineering all my life and although obviously i have not tested said ally crash bar you get a "feel" for the materials, the one i made was 3/8" angle and its the angle that gives the strength, you could hang a battle ship off it its that strong, i feel happy with it from my understanding of materials but if someone popped up tommorow and told me its 5 times weaker than the stock item i would quite happily take it off, throw it in the bin and put the stock one back on

lets be honest mate we dont have these cars to "drive like miss daisy" and sometimes they get driven hard, there are ways to make the cars lighter but i think at some stage a line has to be drawn, for instance would you remove the side impact protection from the doors, there will probably be people out there who have removed the rear impact bar but i for one strive to make my car safer not the other way round

I totally understand bud, if I was so concerned with saftey I wouldn't be building a 900bhp 1300kg RWD car :D.

PS I was only picking up on that as I know what you'll say if I remove the crash bar and I needed a defence :D

:yeahthat:

I know the doors are fairly heavy piece and personaly i think you would be better off with a carbon/fibre glass door skin. You wouldnt believe how heavy door skins on old cars actualy are. Either that or i would be finding a way to make the original side impact bar work.

I ain't changinh the doors now :p, as I say I'll assess the side protection and get some T45 welded in at an appropriate level in a side bar style (from just under the front upper seatbelt mount to the footwell area). It will be as safe as I can get it & will be installed by a proffessional (ie not just something I knock up & get my mate to install).

The car when I'm done will be as safe as I can get it, maybe the rear bar will be the only point that is inferior to stock, maybe I won't remove it and it'll actually be safer than Pauls? :p (that was in jest BTW :D)

Edited by jevansio (see edit history)