The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Jays 1300kg Weight Thread

jevansio

Do you own a weigh station or have you just totalled up all the weight loss and you know how much it is?

It's looking great mate :thumbs:

In for the vids (and more pics!) :)

Lol, no I just totalled everything up since the last time I weighed it, 1380kg was the last time so it should be pretty close even if I've got a 10% margin of error

Hate to be silly. How much does a stock supra weigh in the first place? :)

I *think* UK's were approx 1550kg and JSpecs a bit lighter, can't recall exactly how much though

• Replies 267
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Cheers bud :)

Nope not 40kgs, I reckon 13kgs a door would be a good guess, yes the fact I retained the glass didn't help. In the end the only thing I replaced was the door itself, i read a stock bare door was 20kgs and my doors were 7kgs. I think 40kgs maybe possible if you were to go all out (with Lexan, lightweight mirrors & no door cards, maybe trimming back unused electrics), but I didn't want to go that far, I wanted an OEM feel and the CF door with glass gives just that.

Happy New Year to you too bud :)

Still a decent saving.

It all depends how far you want to go, as the weight drops the OEM/livability does too, I'm just trying to find a happy medium where I get the weightloss I want for the feel I'm happy with, there are still areas of the car that I can loose weight from without the driver/passenger knowing, so I'll concentrate on those areas next.

On that subject, any idea on how much lighter that CF prop you got is? :D

I agree mate, still has to feel like a well built supra, im in two minds about doing the doors at present.

The carbon prop i went with was one of the heaviest ones out there, only 5lb lighter than stock, i went with the ACPT one as its rated as very strong and has great harmonic balancing, should be perfect for my setup.

I agree mate, still has to feel like a well built supra, im in two minds about doing the doors at present.

The carbon prop i went with was one of the heaviest ones out there, only 5lb lighter than stock, i went with the ACPT one as its rated as very strong and has great harmonic balancing, should be perfect for my setup.

I'm sure if you keep the glass, and get Noel to skin & shave as much weight as is possible from a stock door, you will get a feel exactly like stock, but with a weight loss, it might not be the lightest door ever, but I don't think that is what you are after

Thats good info bud, helps me prioritise things :)

Jay, do you know what the door cards weigh. Would the Seinon carbon door cards give much of a saving?

Stock are 3kg drivers & 1.5kg passenger IIRC, I would imagine seibon would be 1.5kg & 750g respectively, so prolly a 2kg overall saving, not worth it IMHO to lose the stock look & feel

• 2 months later...

After being distracted with my cold air box build and solving my ABS/missfire fault, I finally got a free weekend to contiue the weightloss. Fitted the other carbon door today, still need to install all the internals but the hard bit is done. Calculated weight should be 1320kg currently.

Also got a carbon hatch sorted from Dazzi, so in a week or two I should have that, fit my lexan window to it, then install that. Looking at -13kg.

I've also decided to go back to stock sway bars, I'm thinking that the massive weight loss the car has suffered does not necessitate "uprated" bars, and the stock bars will provide me the same sort of upgrade that uprated bars give a full weight car. Looking at -4kg.

With those mods completed I should be looking at 1300kg give or take. And I still have a plethora of mods to do.

Current wishlist is:

Bonnet -4kg

ABS -5kg

Rear brakes -5kg

Tilton Clutch & Lighweight Flywheel -10kg

Custom Power Steering Setup -10kg

Wiring strip -3kg

Sound deadending -2kg

Carbon Prop -3kg

Carpet rework -5kg

Actual figures will become clearer as I work through the list but I'm confident of a good 30kg, meaning a possible final weight of 1270kg

I actually had a mad thought the other day of something like a 2.2l HKS stroked 3s-GTE, maybe running around 600hp I could potentially have a 11xxkg Supra, with a v-mount rad/fmix setup. It's possibly something I would do if me engine ever let go, but for the min remains a pipe dream, I'm not sure if I could give up the effortless way the 2JZ seems to make grunt

Well the weight is dropping weekly at the mo. Massive thanks to Dazzi for not only supplying me with his carbon hatch at a great price, but bringing it up for me aswell :)

We weighed the old steel & glass hatch which came to approx 25kg. The new carbon & glass hatch came to 17kg. We immediately cut the glass out the carbon hatch and the hatch weighed 7.3kg. My new lexan window is 4.7kg, so a new total hatch weight should be 12kg. That's a 13kg saving which is exactly what I had calculated.

I've got a bit of work to do to the hatch besides fitting the Lexan. I want to block up both the wiper & rear brake light holes for a totally smooth rear end.

So at the mo calculated weight is 1307kg, not far off my initial target now :)

Not really much to show for pics, so here's a couple with the new hatch just layed in place on my great dirty arse :D

attachment.php?attachmentid=128572&stc=1&d=1300549932

attachment.php?attachmentid=128573&stc=1&d=1300549932

Img_6456.jpg

Img_6457.jpg

Cheers bud, I've got a loads of options for the next mod, it really depends on what works out easiest. I would liek to put stock ARBs backn on, but that depends on finding some, and I would like to finish the bodywork by fitting a cf hood but I'm not yet clear on what hood to get, in one way I would like a stock cf seibon hood to keep the car totally stock, but i do like the idea of a vented hood and keep chopping and changing between the whifbitz/top secret/abflug style ones, I'm hoping my decision my be made for me by stumbling across a local member wanting to sell a hood that I like the style of.

Cracked on with the hatch today, removed all the remaining sealant ready for the Lexan. I have fibreglassed the wiper hole and rear brake light for a totally smooth back end. Fitted the rear spoiler and bolted the hatch onto the car.

The original gas struts are far too powerfull for this hatch, not only does it fly up when I pull the trigger, it seems to be pushing the sides of the hatch up when it is closed so the gaps above the lights aren't right. I'm tempted to remove the struts TBH, is it an easy job, am I right in thinking to get them off in need to have the interior panels out and get into the rear 1/4 area from the inside? If I remove the struts will I get any additional noise from the hatch when it's closed (ie do they hold the hatch still)?

attachment.php?attachmentid=128694&stc=1&d=1300640496

Img_6460.jpg