The mkiv Supra Owners Club

NA supercharger build

barneybrendan

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

havnt really touched the car for a couple days needed some time away from it to chill out a bit.

cracked on today the supercharger side of the engine is now all bolted together.All the wirring is back in place,just have to wire in the fans and the IATwhen it comes.even put the battery in and turned it over with the plugs out just to see if i had power there that was great havnt seen it like that for over 7 months now.

tomorrows plan is to get the bracket for the tensioner made and fitted,get new plugs and refit the whole of the intake system.

21042010486.jpg

21042010487.jpg

21042010488.jpg

The magic moment is getting ever closer.......

Great to hear that it turned over all okay, you have done a good job on the intake pipe in the end.

Bet you can't wait...

nope, its taken long enough to do im getting withdraw symptons.the intake pipe was a lot better this way cheers for your input there mate.sometimes you can look at something so long that a fresh look from somebody else is always good.trying to put money aside for the mapping so its definately close,been selling loads of stuff i have lying around cheap to get some cash in.

When the throttle is closed and then opened again and air is recirculated ,it is common to have the ecu run very rich during this transient condition - usually it is vacuum sensed in the recirc valve line or pipework - to prevent the hotter than normal air causing det on rapid throttle opening

does the Map 2 allow this? as it does not happen on a turbo car

When the throttle is closed and then opened again and air is recirculated ,it is common to have the ecu run very rich during this transient condition - usually it is vacuum sensed in the recirc valve line or pipework - to prevent the hotter than normal air causing det on rapid throttle opening

does the Map 2 allow this? as it does not happen on a turbo car

not sure ive just asked the tech guys on the map 2 forum.but i know a fiew people use them on the supercharger forum.

sent you a pm adam need to pick your knowledge a bit deeper.

Just for those that are interested , after a chat with Barney today his setup would have boosted to a tad over 24 psi , which would have been erm -not good

But now he is back on track and should boost to a more reasonable 12-14 psi , plus he will get a better belt wrap to prevent slippage

He should make around 350 bhp maybe more given his exhaust manifold , but it the super quick onset of torque that will make the car /conversion

some more info is needed regarding the valve springs - ie loading , and the exhaust valves ie material spec on the Na , so if anyone knows it would help perhaps some of the na-t people have some info .... and how did they work out under boost and what rev limit used ?

the overlap seems well suited to a charger , so it is already there so to speak - should go well

not sure ive just asked the tech guys on the map 2 forum.but i know a fiew people use them on the supercharger forum.

sent you a pm adam need to pick your knowledge a bit deeper.

When I had the Eaton M90 supercharger on my supra, I modified the re-circulating valve from a ford 3.8l engine which is vacum controlled. The vlave basically provided a free path between the inlet and outlet of the M90 when open. At tickover and low revs the valve remained wide open and as soon as vacum level became close to atmospheric pressure it closed and remained closed on boost. I still have it and will send a photo if it would help.

When I had the Eaton M90 supercharger on my supra, I modified the re-circulating valve from a ford 3.8l engine which is vacum controlled. The vlave basically provided a free path between the inlet and outlet of the M90 when open. At tickover and low revs the valve remained wide open and as soon as vacum level became close to atmospheric pressure it closed and remained closed on boost. I still have it and will send a photo if it would help.

ive got the greedy bov fitted now which is going to act as the recirculating valve.just got rid of the standard m90 one from the jag.pics of the one you have would be good as im open to different options.did yours fit befor or after charger

As Barney already has a bov I suggested he link that to the inlet ,or use the recirc valve off a Cooper s -which also is vacuum contolled and easy to instal

The only real issues he faces are the enrichment during throttle opening ,and the durability of the NA components

When the throttle is closed (the charger is still being turned by the engine ) and the air is sent back to inlet -this causes pumping losses to happen ,which appear as heat -added to the air which is then sent back to the inlet -rinse and repeat - this cause a temp rise of the air going in circles - THEN you open the throttle again so the engine sees far hotter air for a few moments - this brief moment needs more fuel to cool the charge air -(usually done by the ECU on a charged car) But the ECU he has is for a turbo car and I dont know if it can do this without tricking it somehow

The ECU could easilly see the IAT increase and pull the timing -that would cause a bog -

Options would include a WI that is simply triggered by the throttle -but a primitive solution and somehow complex at the same time

Adding another injector pre charger ,t pieced to the main fuel supply and triggered by throttle and a solenoid for a few moments (cold start injector would do )

Na component strength ?- pass , rods,piston cooling -pass , ex valves -pass ,clutch -pass ..... but I guess we will soon know

ive got the greedy bov fitted now which is going to act as the recirculating valve.just got rid of the standard m90 one from the jag.pics of the one you have would be good as im open to different options.did yours fit befor or after charger

OK no worries, I am at work just now but will post a picture later. One port was before and the other after.

#2 22nd-April-2010, 11:21 PM

MAP-ECU Man

Senior Member Join Date: Dec 2006

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If we understand the condition you are talking about you could use MAP or TPS enrichment to add additional fuel when you open the throttle. MAP enrichment responds when there is a rapid positive change in manifold pressure. TPS enrichment responds when there is a rapid postive change in the TPS

this was the reply back from map.

Thats good news ! - you can use TPS to alter the fuel -easy

when mapping run the car on the rich side , due to the higher compression ,some power loss but safe ,it will also allow you some headroom to up the boost later :eyebrows:

12 psi is the optimum boost ,but the beauty of the charger is you can run higher and it wont go bang like the turbos ,it just produces more heat , also you cannot spike in boost pressure -its always stable (slight increase as the engine revs higher and gets inefficient)

I suspect you will be more than happy at 12 psi , but the next step would be to remove the head ,and get ported (gotta flow air:) and look at the valves esp the exhaust side ,probably bigger needed ,as well as the ratio to inlet , uprate springs , and a thicker gasket

I know a man who wont be bettered for the head work and can get custom valves done if you wish it - I personally dont think it worth going on to this stage as the power delivery is so strong with a charger and traction becomes an issue but if money is burning a hole in your pocket ......

head work is definately something im wanting done,i can get hold of a spare head.i take it your guy would want the head to be able to give a price.

engineers local making the charger pulley,tapping out the intake for the IATsensor that arrived today and threading the end of some pipe to fit the bov so i can recirculate it.

will be keeping my eyes open for water injection aswell.been looking at some specs on the m90 once opend up for better flow ,seems promissing but need more evidence on the results to be convinced.12 psi will be great for a starting point for this year.

http://i137.photobucket.com/albums/q220/shaneg7ewl/IMG00222-20100425-1901.jpg

http://i137.photobucket.com/albums/q220/shaneg7ewl/IMG00223-20100425-1901.jpg

http://i137.photobucket.com/albums/q220/shaneg7ewl/IMG00222-20100425-1901-1.jpg

Sorry its a bit late Barney, been bit tied up rebuilding fhe front of my daughter's punto all weekend after she managed to stack it in the back of a focus on Friday. Hope the photo is enough to see how the vacum operated valve effectivley provided a bypass between the inlet and outlet of the M90.

Edited by Shane (see edit history)

cheers shane always good to see other options.

got the throttle body fitted and the throttle cable is on starting to look more like its coming together.I have moved the bov down to the bottom of the rad area,will be easier for direction of the recirculation pipe work.Plus im fitting the map ecu IAT sensor into the pipe with the flange on it.This pipe is nice and thick and will just need drilling and taping out,and there shouldnt be a problem with heat soak.

I dont like the look now with the blue connectors and alloy pipe,so im ythinking of wrapping them with the black exhaust bandage giving it extra protection from heat soak and more in keeping with the look im after.

Off to the engineers 7am to give them the charger pulley,bov and the pipe with the flange on.fingers crossed they will have it all done in a couple days.

25042010498.jpg

25042010499.jpg

25042010500.jpg

25042010501.jpg