Steve's Project thread

Steve

• Replies 330
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

When i saw the size of it i thought damn this will be laggy but full boost by 4k in 4th was impressive!! And certainly goes well!!

Looking forward to going for 2bar and really opening it up but i would say it around 700bhp at 1.6bar already as it moving alot of air and using 78% of the injectors!

They will just have enough for 2bar so will be perfect!

Enjoy SP

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Nice Steve. :cool:

Wish mine was in the same state. Looks like another summer with no car :(

Hi Tony, I have been reading of your problems. Fingers crossed you suss it all out.

When you have time I still want to go with those bucketless shims so I can increase the rev limit a little more ;)

Hi Tony, I have been reading of your problems. Fingers crossed you suss it all out.

When you have time I still want to go with those bucketless shims so I can increase the rev limit a little more ;)

No problem, just let me know when you'd like to go for it. :)

• 2 months later...

Been doing some more to the car today before it goes to Tony to fit the shimless buckets, new SRD camshafts and new camgears. I don't mind doing the easy bits (belt & tensioner) but will leave the measuring part to Tony :D

As I will be increasing the rev limit to around 8.5k I wanted to add a little more safety to the engine, well as much safety as I can get :)

So I have fitted a Billet Timing belt tensioner from Titan.

New and old side by side.

41f1bb49.jpg

9776cd69.jpg

And then with the pulley attached.

fce587b2.jpg

ade0dcf2.jpg

Also replaced the stock cambelt with a Gates Racing Belt.

• 3 months later...

After sorting a few issues, today I managed to fit my new shimless buckets and SRD 280 (Stage 3) camshafts.

First I removed the cam covers and Coil packs

attachment.php?attachmentid=127800&stc=1&d=1299356697

Then I needed to remove the cambelt and the stock cam gears

attachment.php?attachmentid=127801&stc=1&d=1299356804

After the camshafts were removed, I could removed the old shim/bucket setup.

attachment.php?attachmentid=127802&stc=1&d=1299356931

attachment.php?attachmentid=127803&stc=1&d=1299357037

attachment.php?attachmentid=127804&stc=1&d=1299357100

Now I needed to fit the shimless buckets which had been measured with the new cams before hand.

attachment.php?attachmentid=127805&stc=1&d=1299357200

Underside of the new buckets compared to the old ones.

attachment.php?attachmentid=127806&stc=1&d=1299357325

Topside view of the buckets

attachment.php?attachmentid=127807&stc=1&d=1299357367

All the new buckets are numbered for there individual size.

attachment.php?attachmentid=127808&stc=1&d=1299357458

All new buckets installed

attachment.php?attachmentid=127809&stc=1&d=1299357577

New camshafts

Exhaust

attachment.php?attachmentid=127810&stc=1&d=1299357639

Intake

attachment.php?attachmentid=127811&stc=1&d=1299357704

Didn't get any pictures of the cams installed but they are in :)

Just needed to fit the new cam gears and re-fit the belt.

attachment.php?attachmentid=127812&stc=1&d=1299357833

The cars starts and runs fine but wont be run in anger until it has been mapped by Ryan, the cams need to be dialled in aswell before mapping.

But before I get that done I will be replacing the suspension bushes on the car as some of the adjusters have seized. I also need to get the Oz wheels I have widened to allow for some wider rear tyres.

That's all for now :)

be330ce4.jpg

a3518b54.jpg

9f14712b.jpg

609dc1da.jpg

6f0494af.jpg

a2777700.jpg

d37f2fcd.jpg

37e7c9b3.jpg

708ba0b9.jpg

bdf6a11a.jpg

74e7f2a7.jpg

786e2d85.jpg

745f9156.jpg

• 4 months later...

Thought I better do some updates to this.

Unfortunately there are no pictures for this part but most of it has been covered before.

I finally got round to changing all the suspension bushes front & back, for a while now I have had a vibration from the rear also I haven't been able to adjust the rear geo due to the bolts being seized so it was killing the inner edge of the tyres.

To make this easier I removed the rear subframe, this made it alot easier to cut/remove the geo bolts (they just wouldn't budge!). I then had to remove all the bushes from top and lower arms and replaced them with the R2 buhses. Now the R2 bushes don't come with a new bush for the lower suspension strut mount so I ordered a Powerflex bush to sort these.

As I had the subframe I decided I may as well replace the rear diff cushion mounts as they were showing signs of cracking and also fitted some solid diff ear mounts, I was hoping this would resolve some wheel hop I was getting. I also ordered some Powerflex anti roll bar bushes to so now the back end has new bushes/rubbers/bolts all over. :)

I then started the front and gave it the same treatment, so this now has R2 bushes all over.

Thinking of future wheel plans, I also decided to replace my existing CW suspension setup to some HSD coilovers. The reasons to do this were due to the larger springs on Chris's setup it wouldn't allow me enough room to fit wider wheels on the back plus I wanted to raise the height a little, so some HSD's were ordered from Paul Whiffin and arrived within a couple of days.I have to say they fitted very easily and were setup very easy :)

The drive to the MOT place was a little interesting due to the geo being all over the place, but straight after that I headed to another place to get the geo sorted. After this was done the car felt great to drive, so much tighter again. :)

After getting the car booked in to be mapped with Ryan I first needed to get the new camshafts dialled in, so I headed down to see Tony License, after lots of measuring we got these all sorted on the Sunday before the mapping on Thursday 21st.

Due to the setup now changing quite a lot since it was mapped the fuelling was all over the place, so we had a little play just to get the fuelling a little more reasonable for the drive down to TDi.

Anyway I got to TDi on the Thursday, the car was bolted to the dyno and the mapping began. I must admit it is quite nerve racking watching the car being dyno'd, the bad thoughts always go through my mind but it all held together and we got a decent result.

745rhhp and 600ftlb :cool:

I think this was at 1.8-1.9bar can't remember exactly, but either way there is room for a little more :D

I wasn't expecting that kind of figure but I am over the moon with it now. I can still probably gain a little more if I fitted a aftermarket intake manifold as we found the power was starting to drop off at around 7000rpm. With my limit being around 8.5k it would be nice to get the power all the way to the top so I will probably look to do this over the winter, I just want to be able enjoy the car again for a while :)

A massive thanks has to go to Tony for all his time and expertise with the engine. Thanks mate :thumbs:

Also Ryan for the mapping and putting up with me on the phone sorting a few things out :thumbs:

Anyway, bring on Supra Pod :eyebrows:

Ps. I will upload the graph when I can get near a scanner.