Steve's Project thread

Steve

• Replies 330
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Great progress Steve. How long did it take to fit the engine?

From lifting it with the hoist to removing the hoist it was about 20 minutes. It was made a little more awkward as the hoist wasn't quite big enough to get the reach required.

Dam good work,

Just how do you do it :) lol just looking at you putting the block back in I would not know where to start connecting things back up lol :)

The wiring pretty much goes back in to place on its own. Just then a case of plugging everything in :)

Today managed to get some more done on the car. I have fitted the Bosch 1000cc injectors, fuel rail and fuel lines.

I then put the rest of the wiring loom back into place and fitted the plenum and throttle body.

I got the BL 4" exhaust refitted and i am glad to say it refitted to the new turbo housing without any problems :)

I then fitted the turbo centre cartridge so took some pictures of the compressor turbine.

I couldn't fit the compressor cover as I am still waiting for a gasket for the oil drain which goes underneath. Should be here Monday :)

Just need to refit the dash panels where I removed the RLTC and EBC. Refit the I/C pipes but I want to get some Mikalor clamps first. Put some spark plugs in and then good to go. I can then arrange to get Ryan up for first start up :cool:

DSCF0068.jpg

DSCF0069.jpg

DSCF0070.jpg

DSCF0071.jpg

DSCF0073.jpg

DSCF0074.jpg

DSCF0075.jpg

DSCF0072.jpg

Edited by Steve (see edit history)

Guest Full-Race Geoff

looking great steve! i wanted to mention two things

1) it may benefit you to use a spacer between the turbine flange and the manifold. We just use a spare turbine flange from our manifolds and an extra gasket with longer studs... this sits the turbo up a tiny bit higher, but allows for more clearance from the manifold to the compressor housing

2) be sure to fill the turbo up with oil before starting the engine for the first time! also do you have a -3AN feed line? if its -4AN it should be restricted

last but not least, i saw one of your above pics and wanted to point out exactly what makes these compressors so special:

please disregards my terrible MS paint skills

THIS=extendedtip.jpg

looking great steve! i wanted to mention two things

1) it may benefit you to use a spacer between the turbine flange and the manifold. We just use a spare turbine flange from our manifolds and an extra gasket with longer studs... this sits the turbo up a tiny bit higher, but allows for more clearance from the manifold to the compressor housing

2) be sure to fill the turbo up with oil before starting the engine for the first time! also do you have a -3AN feed line? if its -4AN it should be restricted

last but not least, i saw one of your above pics and wanted to point out exactly what makes these compressors so special:

http://full-race.com/prototype/twinscroll/THIS=extendedtip.jpg

please disregards my terrible MS paint skills

Welcome Geoff.... :D

Guest Full-Race Geoff
Hi Geoff, good to see you on here :thumbs:

Welcome Geoff. Nice to see you this side of the pond :)

Welcome Geoff.... :D

thanks for the warm welcome gents! I'm happy to be here, ill try to poke my head in here from time to time and offer any advice i can

I will have a look one night this week and see what is needed and yes i have a -3AN oil feed. Have you got any of the flanges in stock and also some of the gaskets?

glad to hear you are on the -3AN feed that will work perfectly! Running an extra 1/2" spacer between the turbo and manifold could only help give the turbo more insulation and protection fromt he manifold. Also its always good to have coatings + header wrap + cold reflective foil at all areas like this (i use the gold foil on the silicone coupler and parts of the charge pipes that are closest to the header - to help isolate from radiant heat

The flanges and gaskets are in stock, if you wanted a set now would be a good time to get it in touch with eric in our office so he can make sure it ships with the other turbo (which will be shipping very shortly). I am off to Florida for the PRI show, sorry in advance if i cant get to this post as often as i might usually! Feel free to post up with any other questions or concernes and ill chime in

(subscribed!)

Guest Full-Race Geoff

oh and a couple more pics to add --

here is a good comparison photo of 35R compressor vs BW 83-75 compressor:

^^^ 3582R "flat tip"

^^^83-75 S300SX "extended tip"

gt3582R-%20comp-tip.jpg

83-75comp-tip.jpg

• 1 month later...

Hi Tony,

Had some messing around to do the get the turbo to fit the manifold, the first runner gets in the way with the bigger compressor cover, so have had to get an elbow welded on to sort that. Also have got a flexy section welded into the DP and a bracket at the bottom to take some of the weight of the exhaust away from the turbo.

With xmas and some other personal stuff that has got it the way it kinda dropped down the priority list.

I will be putting the rest back together this weekend and will get the old ECU plugged in for now to get the engine cranking over to get oil pressure up and check for fuel leaks. Just need to get Ryan here then to sort the ECU.

:)

• 3 weeks later...