The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Steve's Project thread

Steve

Were you getting clutch drag Steve?

It was fine for the first couple of runs, although it did stink a little. But after the last run I couldn't select any gears, it would just crunch the gears. To get home I had to put it in gear, start the car and just go. As long as the car was moving I could get it in gear just about.

• Replies 330
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

It was fine for the first couple of runs, although it did stink a little. But after the last run I couldn't select any gears, it would just crunch the gears. To get home I had to put it in gear, start the car and just go. As long as the car was moving I could get it in gear just about.

Exactly the same as I was getting with my car, my next port of call was to change the master cylinder so looks like my hunch was right. Cheers for that.

• 1 year later...

Time for some updates :)

The car has been and is still currently SORN, due to work commitments. So i figured I would have a tinker and change a few bits.

After the last mapping session the car was making more BHP than I was expecting, so to help improve the braking I bought the KAD setup from RobD.

So after spending a couple of evenings last week tidying the calipers and discs up, today I set about removing the UK setup I had and fit the new KAD setup. As you can see I went with black on the calipers with a silver KAD logo. :)

attachment.php?attachmentid=157431&stc=1&d=1347120203

attachment.php?attachmentid=157430&stc=1&d=1347120203

attachment.php?attachmentid=157432&stc=1&d=1347120203

attachment.php?attachmentid=157429&stc=1&d=1347120203

I got them all bled through with a vacuum bleeder but can't test them yet so will have to wait to see how they feel compared to the UK's.

Front KAD 356mm disc compared to the stock UK Disc

attachment.php?attachmentid=157433&stc=1&d=1347120203

Unfortunately I also found one of the front UK calipers had cracked by the mounting point. I guess it has been overtightened at some point in its life :(

attachment.php?attachmentid=157434&stc=1&d=1347120758

two.jpg

three.jpg

one.jpg

four.jpg

Compare.jpg

cracked caliper.jpg

After removing the sub-woofer about 2 years ago, music has never been the same and lacked bass. I found an amplifier that I used to have fitted in my works van around 5 years ago. It was an all in one with 4 channels plus a 5th channel for a sub woofer. Well it was a orangey bronze colour which wouldnt have look at all good in the Supra so I decided to strip it apart and respray it black. :)

I have also re-located the battery to the boot to allow for some room up-front (new intake ;)) which now lives under the amplifier which sits on this shelf I made with some MDF.

attachment.php?attachmentid=157437&stc=1&d=1347121494

With a sub in a SRD style box in the spare wheel well. (as I can no longer use the spare)

attachment.php?attachmentid=157435&stc=1&d=1347121494

I added a battery charge point to make it easier to plug in when the car is sitting in the garage, this sits to the side of the amp in one of the panels :)

attachment.php?attachmentid=157436&stc=1&d=1347121494

Excuse the dirt on the boot carpet, it still needs hoovering :D

sub.jpg

charge.jpg

amp.jpg

Last year I made the pod for the Dash 2 to sit and it had started to crack where I had filled some of the existing holes, so I decided to cover this in some carbon Di-Noc sheet and also removed 2 of the gauges so now it is just the Dash2.

attachment.php?attachmentid=157439&stc=1&d=1347121980

Around 4 years ago I got hold of some clear lenses for the rear indicator lights, so I figured I best finally fit them :D

attachment.php?attachmentid=157438&stc=1&d=1347121980

Just have a new PS cooler left to fit, relocate the oil cooler, fit some new oil temp/pressure, fuel pressure sensors for the Syvecs then await the arrival of JohnnyG's intake manifold and DBW setup so I can get the car moving again :)

lights.jpg

dash22.jpg

that looks so much better than UK's. I'll be going big kit, had UK's on the single but now fancy some bigger ones, :D

Yep, I was never that happy with the UK's, maybe it was just me though :shrug:

Its about time! Now get a new clutch, change the fanimold, remap and get it ripping!

It all costs money dude, but I am getting there ;)

Nice improvement. I remember the first time I hit the brakes with my Stoptech's. I was heavily impressed. One of the best mods I did.

Hopefully these will be the same :)

With all the money you're making it should be a drop in the ocean for you :D

All work and no play :(

Just got 2 more guys on board, 1 already started and 1 more starting a week on Monday. So will need to work harder still for a while to make sure we pay for them!

Time for some updates :)

The car has been and is still currently SORN, due to work commitments. So i figured I would have a tinker and change a few bits.

After the last mapping session the car was making more BHP than I was expecting, so to help improve the braking I bought the KAD setup from RobD.

So after spending a couple of evenings last week tidying the calipers and discs up, today I set about removing the UK setup I had and fit the new KAD setup. As you can see I went with black on the calipers with a silver KAD logo. :)

http://mkivsupra.net/vbb/attachment.php?attachmentid=157431&stc=1&d=1347120203

http://mkivsupra.net/vbb/attachment.php?attachmentid=157430&stc=1&d=1347120203

http://mkivsupra.net/vbb/attachment.php?attachmentid=157432&stc=1&d=1347120203

http://mkivsupra.net/vbb/attachment.php?attachmentid=157429&stc=1&d=1347120203

I got them all bled through with a vacuum bleeder but can't test them yet so will have to wait to see how they feel compared to the UK's.

Front KAD 356mm disc compared to the stock UK Disc

http://mkivsupra.net/vbb/attachment.php?attachmentid=157433&stc=1&d=1347120203

Unfortunately I also found one of the front UK calipers had cracked by the mounting point. I guess it has been overtightened at some point in its life :(

http://mkivsupra.net/vbb/attachment.php?attachmentid=157434&stc=1&d=1347120758

God I miss my KAD's! After driving the uk spec back yesterday the uk's just don't do it for me!

They look awesome now dude!

• 7 months later...

***Long overdue update***

Well I bought the intake and DBW setup from Johnny G and have finally had some time to make a start on the changes.

I moved the fuse box as advised in the Greddy Intake manifold instruction guide as I didn't fancy fitting it under the wing but rather than moving the PAS reservoir I decided to fit a N/A reservoir. I have also removed the old Greddy PAS cooler you get with the FMIC kits and plumbed it in to the cooler that I have in the radiator (auto rad), keeps things a bit neater.

I bought the 3" Greddy pipework from Steve Lintons old car so was able to re-use the BOV location.

After test fitting the manifold/throttle body, I had to have the throttle body flange cut off the intake and clocked round slightly as I didn't want to make a hole in the chassis leg to make this fit. All the new wiring is mostly in place I just need to run it through the bulk head down to the ECU.

As I was doing the new wiring I have also fitted Oil Pressure, oil temp and fuel pressure sensors which will all be fed into the ECU and all displayed on the dash2.

There's still a few bits to tidy up, fit clamps etc.

attachment.php?attachmentid=167863&stc=1&d=1366574852

attachment.php?attachmentid=167861&stc=1&d=1366574852

attachment.php?attachmentid=167862&stc=1&d=1366574852

I have started on the exhaust side now, have fitted a Whifbitz dual wastegate manifold which again was from Steve Lintons old car. I have re-wrapped it with some DEI wrap.

Hopefully next weekend I will un-box the new turbo and get the downpipe test fitted, I can't decide whether to re-circ the wastegates or leave them open though......

IMG_1206.JPG

IMG_1203.JPG

IMG_1205.JPG

• 3 weeks later...

Have been sorting the exhaust side the last couple of days.

After this turned up...... :eyebrows:

attachment.php?attachmentid=169290&stc=1&d=1368378393

I was able to fit the exhaust housing so I could fit the DP and weld the pipework so the wastegates now re-circ back into the exhaust, with this sorted I wrapped the DP and wastegate pipes with some new DEI exhaust wrap. I re-plumbed the wasegates to the boost solenoid, all those pipes are also covered to keep the heat out. I just need to sort some new bolts for the oil drain so I can then fit the turbo compressor cover which I have tapped for the pressure feed for the wastegates/boost solenoid.

attachment.php?attachmentid=169293&stc=1&d=1368378826

attachment.php?attachmentid=169294&stc=1&d=1368378843

attachment.php?attachmentid=169292&stc=1&d=1368378826

attachment.php?attachmentid=169291&stc=1&d=1368378826

Also the headlights are back in along with the new HID lamps :cool:

Hopefully next weekend I will finish the turbo/inlet pipework and pull the new wiring into the ECU, get it connected up and ready for start up :)

I shall run it around off boost to get it MOT'd but get the new clutch fitted before it gets fully mapped again when Ryan is available.

Not too much longer :)

IMG_1218.JPG

IMG_1222.JPG

IMG_1221.JPG

IMG_1219.JPG

IMG_1220.JPG

• 2 weeks later...

I have now finished the turbo side, other than a couple of silicone joiners which I need to measure up.

attachment.php?attachmentid=170096&stc=1&d=1369606748

I have also finished wiring for the throttle body, throttle pedal, new oil temp sensor, oil pressure sensor, fuel pressure sensor and new wideband sensor. The throttle pedal is installed and the Syvecs pin configuration has been changed to suit the new connections, I just need to speak to Ryan before turning it over.

The old clutch didn't like SupraPod a year or so ago but was still working, but it did need to be changed, as there are a few bits missing and the Kevlar was coming away.

attachment.php?attachmentid=170095&stc=1&d=1369606633

Anyway the replacement arrived this week, a OS Giken R3C triple plate clutch.

attachment.php?attachmentid=170099&stc=1&d=1369607027

attachment.php?attachmentid=170100&stc=1&d=1369607075

The pull/push conversion kit installed.

attachment.php?attachmentid=170101&stc=1&d=1369607147

The new flywheel and clutch plate housing installed along with new flywheel bolts.

attachment.php?attachmentid=170104&stc=1&d=1369607214

The clutch plates installed.

attachment.php?attachmentid=170105&stc=1&d=1369607289

The clutch cover installed.

attachment.php?attachmentid=170106&stc=1&d=1369607350

I have to say this clutch is a great bit of kit, very well designed and easy to assemble. The pedal feel feels lighter than the old Southbend clutch which I am happy about but until the engine is running I wont be able to see how it feels under load.

Hopefully by next weekend I will be totally ready to get the engine running again :)

IMG_1256.jpg

IMG_1242.jpg

IMG_1253.jpg

IMG_1251.jpg

IMG_1260.jpg

IMG_1257.jpg

IMG_1258.jpg

IMG_1259.jpg