Steve

• Replies 330
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Did a bit more work over the weekend.

CC'd the engine and the head. I didn't get any pics of that, but those interested can see some in the build thread for my engine.

I then fitted the freshly cleaned up engine mounts and water neck. Ignore the 'wet' marks, that's just where I'd cleaned the grit media off:-

Then fitted the ARP head studs and gasket:-

And then fitted the head, which I believe Steve has had built and ported by Whifbitz:-

Artistic shot with the cam-covers temporarily fitted:-

Tomorrow I'll finish fitting the camshafts and if all goes well hopefully get the flywheel fitted. Then it's all good to go! ;)

CRW_4601.jpg

CRW_4603.jpg

CRW_4614.jpg

CRW_4620.jpg

CRW_4622.jpg

CRW_4621.jpg

Edited by Steve (see edit history)

OK camshafts fitted:-

Then the timing belt and the no.1 timing belt cover:-

Then the crank pulley. You can see where the balancer has removed some material:-

Then it's just a case of fitting the lining up the timing marks and fitting the belt. Here's the new belt tensioner. It came with the little pin, it reminds me of a hand grenade :D :-

And that's it pretty much all done bar a few odds and sods and fitting the flywheel / clutch.

:)

CRW_4627.jpg

CRW_4628.jpg

CRW_4629.jpg

CRW_4632.jpg

CRW_4636.jpg

CRW_4626.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Well I have the engine back now after picking it up last night from Tony. Today I managed to get the clutch fitted, gearbox fitted, exhaust manifold fitted, turbo exhaust housing, wastegate, water elbow, turbo oil drain pipe, oil feed pipe and blocked of the old turbo water feeds. Didn't manage to get it dropped into the car today as it was getting dark so that will be done tomorrow and will see what else I can get done.

I do have some pictures but haven't got the lead to get them off of the camera, so will post them next week.

Well the engine is back in the car, got all the water pipes plumbed in, the harness back in the correct position, alternator, PS pump, aircon pump, radiator all fitted and the lower intake runners fitted. Just need to fit the plenum, injectors, fuel rail, turbo and i/c pipework then should be all good to go. :cool:

nice work mate.. bet you cant wait. Id be on it now until it was finished :D

curious though as im not that clued up on the balancing side of things, im presumming the 'drilled' holes in the crank pulley is a result of the balancing process?

nice work mate.. bet you cant wait. Id be on it now until it was finished :D

curious though as im not that clued up on the balancing side of things, im presumming the 'drilled' holes in the crank pulley is a result of the balancing process?

There are 4 holes which were done by Toyota (or whoever manufacturers it) then the other hole on its own was done by the balancers. The pulley was connected to the crank and the clutch, then were all balanced together.

Well the engine is back in the car, got all the water pipes plumbed in, the harness back in the correct position, alternator, PS pump, aircon pump, radiator all fitted and the lower intake runners fitted. Just need to fit the plenum, injectors, fuel rail, turbo and i/c pipework then should be all good to go. :cool:

Good work! :thumbs:

This is the engine when I got it back from picking it up from Tony on Friday evening.

The first thing I did was to fit the clutch.

The new Southbend Stage 3 clutch plate.

and the clutch cover, you can see the area where the cover had some material removed where it was balanced.

Here you can see the paint mark I had to line up as this was balanced with the crank.

Getting the plate lined up was made easy with the tool supplied with the new clutch

The clutch cover was then bolted up and torqued as per the Toyota manual.

I then fitted the gearbox and torqued the bolts up.

The starter motor then got fitted but didn't get a picture of that.

I then refitted the exhaust manifold, it so much easier fitting it now then when the engine is back in the car.

I also bolted on the new Borg Warner turbo exhaust housing and the oil drain pipe. This is the 1.0 a/r twinscroll housing. You can see where the 3" vband fitting was welded on.

I took some pictures of the old T67 .68 a/r housing to show the size difference and the twin/single scroll.

DSCF0026.jpg

DSCF0027.jpg

DSCF0028.jpg

DSCF0031.jpg

DSCF0032.jpg

DSCF0030.jpg

DSCF0034.jpg

DSCF0045.jpg

DSCF0033.jpg

DSCF0035.jpg

DSCF0036.jpg

DSCF0037.jpg

DSCF0041.jpg

DSCF0040.jpg

DSCF0038.jpg

DSCF0039.jpg

DSCF0051.jpg

I had to block off the old water feeds as they are no longer required with this turbo.

After fitting a few other little pieces like the water feed elbow and fitting some new jubilee clips to various pipes it was ready to refit the engine back into the car.

After a little swearing it was back in the car

I could then re route the electrics back into their correct places, fit the a/c pump, PS pump, alternator, new aux belt, radiator, fan, fan shroud and the inlet runner.

That was what I managed over the weekend and will hopefully get the rest done over a few evenings this week and Saturday.

DSCF0042.jpg

DSCF0043.jpg

DSCF0048.jpg

DSCF0049.jpg

DSCF0053.jpg

DSCF0054.jpg