The mkiv Supra Owners Club

F1 2022!!!!!

Annabella

11 hours ago, Swampy442 said:

Im still staggered no team (affected with it) has managed to figure out the bouncing. Id have thought 4 races in it would be understood and controlled. I think Merc's issue is with the amount of unsupported floor, but maybe its more fundamental than that

I think you could be right about it being even more fundamental than that...to the point where they simply can't fix it and have to resort to combatting it instead of eliminating it and making the car even slower. Maybe all they can do for now is toe the line of porpoising against speed loss.

It's a shame really, all these changes to create a more competitive field with closer racing and all that's really come out of it so far is different teams doing well and the drivers being physically injured during racing. I wouldn't be surprised if George/Lewis miss a race or 2 this year (double weekender maybe) as they're just so beat up.

5 hours ago, Style said:

I think you could be right about it being even more fundamental than that...to the point where they simply can't fix it and have to resort to combatting it instead of eliminating it and making the car even slower. Maybe all they can do for now is toe the line of porpoising against speed loss.

It's a shame really, all these changes to create a more competitive field with closer racing and all that's really come out of it so far is different teams doing well and the drivers being physically injured during racing. I wouldn't be surprised if George/Lewis miss a race or 2 this year (double weekender maybe) as they're just so beat up.

How do you homogenise the cars in a way that allows innovation without allowing a team to get a disproportionate advantage? This is the million dollar question.

The pack has tightened up but there are still a few teams who are just uncatchable up the front. The leading few cars lapping the entire field should just not happen in modern Formula 1.

• Like 1

Merc don’t seem to know how to adjust/adapt where others have been chasing them making changes for years. Fingers crossed they find something soon, I don’t like the idea mentioned on sky of raising the car, it would ruin any stability they had in the first place

9 hours ago, Tyson said:

How do you homogenise the cars in a way that allows innovation without allowing a team to get a disproportionate advantage? This is the million dollar question.

The pack has tightened up but there are still a few teams who are just uncatchable up the front. The leading few cars lapping the entire field should just not happen in modern Formula 1.

Thats always the way in top level motorsport, one team always lucks in on the correct formula. RBs luck is Adrian Newey, they were on the pace with wing derived downforce, they are clear leaders in floor derived downforce, thats not luck. Mercedes lucked in on the previous designs, and constantly tweaked it subtly through the years, allied with the best powertrain

• Like 1

Strange they would put the pit lane exit at the apex of the corner, who has right of way in that scenario? What I mean is those on the racing line will be approaching that corner significantly faster than those exiting the pits on cold tyres. Agree with you @Dnk, I'd be hugely surprised if we didn't see some sort of incident. 

21 hours ago, Swampy442 said:

Its so violent! Ferrari have the same problem but they somehow make it work

It seems like it hurts Mercedes more in the higher speed corners and down the straights, whereas Ferrari only really see it at the end of the straights? 🤷‍♂️

1 hour ago, Dnk said:

And it's wide open again 😄

Go George 

George did a fab job keeping the Bulls behind for as long as he did. Max's frustration was fun to listen/watch.

As  per Merc finding the solution to straight line bouncing, will they be able to make up the rest of the gap to the others?

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Annabella said:

George did a fab job keeping the Bulls behind for as long as he did. Max's frustration was fun to listen/watch.

As  per Merc finding the solution to straight line bouncing, will they be able to make up the rest of the gap to the others?

So many points up for grabs in 16 races. A couple of bad weekends for the front two and George could be right up there, bit harder

for Hamilton but it's still do able