The mkiv Supra Owners Club

written off

ronttuk

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well he anit denying that is he.

Id be buying that back from insurance, i dont think its a right off anyway but if they do want to then make an offer on it.

- - - Updated - - -

Well he anit denying that is he.

Id be buying that back from insurance, i dont think its a right off anyway but if they do want to then make an offer on it.

As said dont let anyone take the car away

Just to reinforce the message! keep it in your possession and keep us posted with what they offer. It wouldn't surprise me if the car is worth more even in its current state than what they might first offer you as a write off!

What a vacuous waste of space!

I bet you he was texting on his phone and realised too late and therefore was unable to swerve as he only had one hand on the wheel.

I hope your insurance company requests the data activity from his mobile network and get the police to take his licence away for 12 months.

I suspect that if the Police were to persue a case of driving with undue care, they would be able to look at his phone and know if he was typing at the time of the incident. Texting or whatsapp, the nextwork knows that you are engaged. It's whether they can be arsed for the sake of what they will get if convicted.

If he was reading a text then it can't be proven really. He has defo been distracted as there is nothing coming the other way. He also looks about 12, but then again, they all do to me these days...:D

H.

Sorry to see this ,Id let them write it off get the best top price you can argue you want another if you can find other UKs up for sale or recently sold send them the adverts , if you argue with them it's repairable it will end up being a cat C / D or N and S now and resale value down the line wont be great , not to mention some of it might pull out but your going to end up with a load of filler or a new rear quarter and I hope the body shop has the skills to put it right or you could end up with a dog and then there's the hassle of the paint not matching the rest of the car

Edited by chazuk (see edit history)

Firstly I’m glad no one was injured secondly I’m not so glad that the little turd wasn’t injured in a subsequent “accident” that the camera didn’t catch ....

This is absolutely gutting and I really do feel for you, as Chaz has said if they don’t write it off and repair it then it will most likely get a C or D marker.

To play devils advovacte here the crash was a rear shunt so the quarter has been squashed from behind. The Supra has been shoved over 2 meters down the road now I’m no maths expert but the energy transfer for a 1340kg car to move a 1570kg over 2 meters has to be pretty decent. So I would be expecting damage to the boot floor as well. Like I said I’m no expert on this and a structural report might reveal something that we can’t see.

I’d be taking in all the good advice in the thread and don’t let them take it away. Did you have an agreed value ?

Agree with Tyson check the underside , not sure if its a auto or manual but if its auto and it was in park and with the handbrake up that's taken some force

Also worth mentioning it has been hit on the rear corner so the crash bar wouldn’t have taken anywhere near the brunt of the impact.

Just noticed that there is a junction behind the supra where the bmw came from so he has come flying round the corner and been surprised to see a row of parked cars and didn’t have time to react which is probably why he didn’t swerve.

Sorry to see this ,Id let them write it off get the best top price you can argue you want another if you can find other UKs up for sale or recently sold send them the adverts , if you argue with them it's repairable it will end up being a cat C / D or N and S now and resale value down the line wont be great , not to mention some of it might pull out but your going to end up with a load of filler or a new rear quarter and I hope the body shop has the skills to put it right or you could end up with a dog and then there's the hassle of the paint not matching the rest of the car

That doesn't really make sense to me but maybe I'm wrong. It won't be a Cat C or D if they repair it as they haven't written it off. If they write the car off, you'll get a payout to their value of the car and that's the end of it.

If you can prove to them the car is worth £30k and they accept that, they'll then make the decision to repair it instead. That would no longer make the car a write off and it wont be labelled a C or D.

Cat C's and D's are cars that have been bought back after being written off and then repaired to be sold on once more.

How is that a write off? Seriously.. BS!! Its got a crash bar on the back that should help against things like this unless thats totally staved the back of the car in under the bodywork?

Guy was clearly not concentrating, no doubt on his phone messing his mum!

BTW, that rear damage and rear 3/4 are easily repairable, yes it'll be expensive but they did mine when I needed it after I justified the cars value to the assessor.

I had no frame/sill damage so it was cosmetic.. I hope yours is the same.

Edited by Bobbeh (see edit history)

The Supra has been shoved over 2 meters down the road now I’m no maths expert but the energy transfer for a 1340kg car to move a 1570kg over 2 meters has to be pretty decent. So I would be expecting damage to the boot floor as well. Like I said I’m no expert on this and a structural report might reveal something that we can’t see.

Left in park without handbrake on?

It won’t be a write off unless you agree to it, this is what happened to my Del Sol a few months back, someone reversed onto the drive door and creased it, I had an offer from his insurance ( Churchill ) this morning for £1065, it’s called cash in lieu settlement without written off the car, hope this with give Ron some idea what is going to come from the insurance.

Initially they told me it’s a write off because of its age, and I challenged that decision, they agreed after inspecting my car, reason for them pay me rather than repair is because they can’t source new parts for an old car, and they don’t fit second parts because of the guarantee of their repairs.