The mkiv Supra Owners Club

“The legend returns” Toyota GB tweet tease of supra with BGW

Marcus GTE

• Replies 257
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks for the share!

My question is what engine do you actually expect is in the Z4? N55? And did you get to see it?

It's the B58 motor from the M2: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/BMW_B58

I've seen the car, yes. It's far more aggressive than the previous one. Looks great.

Comparable to stock TT acceleration or bpu?

Closer to BPU to be honest. But it's not all about straight-line performance.

It's the B58 motor from the M2: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/BMW_B58

I've seen the car, yes. It's far more aggressive than the previous one. Looks great.

Closer to BPU to be honest. But it's not all about straight-line performance.

Sorry I meant did you see the engine! I did understand you’d seen the car as I’m assuming it was your article :D

Honestly I hope they don’t use that engine for the supra. It will be underpowered in todays market

Sorry I meant did you see the engine! I did understand you’d seen the car as I’m assuming it was your article :D

Honestly I hope they don’t use that engine for the supra. It will be underpowered in todays market

Yes, I did see the engine. Not sure how circa 360hp is underpowered, though. And it's entirely likely the Supra will be a harder-edged car than the Z4 anyway, I'd say. Certainly feels like it could be quite different with a roof. Like a Cayman to a Boxster.

Yes, I did see the engine. Not sure how circa 360hp is underpowered, though. And it's entirely likely the Supra will be a harder-edged car than the Z4 anyway, I'd say. Certainly feels like it could be quite different with a roof. Like a Cayman to a Boxster.

360 is a lot, depending on the market they are targeting. The issue I have is BPU is more than that and I’d expect more like 450+

Although saying that, a cayman isn’t a totally bad thing (apart from looks ;))

I think everyone is wanting/expecting it to be comparable in size and power to a GTR. That, to me, would be what a natural successor to the MK4 Supra is. But it looks like we’re getting something down a size from that. At 6ft7, I reckon I’ll be lucky to comfortably fit in one :(

I think everyone is wanting/expecting it to be comparable in size and power to a GTR. That, to me, would be what a natural successor to the MK4 Supra is. But it looks like we’re getting something down a size from that. At 6ft7, I reckon I’ll be lucky to comfortably fit in one :(

It’s alright I’m sure there will be some modifications that will help..... Like a saw to the leg [emoji3]

It's roughly the size of a 911.

It’s alright I’m sure there will be some modifications that will help..... Like a saw to the leg [emoji3]

:D

I think the Flintstones mod would be a lot less painful for me!

It's roughly the size of a 911.

I reckon I could live with that. I’m getting MX5ish sizes in my head which is probably more what the 86 is aimed at :)

Been itching to tell you lot about this. I drove the Z4 (which is basically a convertible version of the new Supra) a little while ago:

https://www.carmagazine.co.uk/car-reviews/bmw/bmw-z4-2019-review/

Post your questions!

Hey thanks for the article! Very interesting!

To be honest I too was hoping for a GTR competitor but after reading your article it seems they are going for driving pleasure and performance. Have never driven a GTR but i have heard that other than the mindbending performance it doesn't feel as satisfying to drive as other sports cars.

Also, the new NSX which is a direct competitor to the GTR and has all the toys most A80 enthusiasts would love to see on the new supra, is not selling as well as Honda was hoping.

Was there anything you didn't like about the Z4?

Was there anything you didn't like about the Z4?

Well, I've yet to see the cabin or use the new iDrive system as that was all covered up. Found the handling was incredible, but there's definitely room for improvement because it's a roadster, so there is a slight wobble if you hit a bump mid-bend.

I also found it could do with about another 50hp. But you probably don't need​ that. :)

:wave:

Sorry I missed this. I've been categorically told there will be no Z4 M, but the Toyota situation is still unclear. I think they'll position it higher, with a halo version at the top end that could easily make use of the M3 motor. That's just speculation, though.

Sorry I missed this. I've been categorically told there will be no Z4 M, but the Toyota situation is still unclear. I think they'll position it higher, with a halo version at the top end that could easily make use of the M3 motor. That's just speculation, though.

Let's hope so the m3 motor is good when do you think we will find out for sure ? I see the article you posted says 50/50 weight for the z4 will the supra version will be the same ?

That would be pretty awesome if Toyota did use the new M3/M4 engine. It’s early days but an exciting prospect for the GRMN version.

Let's hope so the m3 motor is good when do you think we will find out for sure ? I see the article you posted says 50/50 weight for the z4 will the supra version will be the same ?

Strongly suspect we'll know more before Z4 launches properly in October, and yes, the platform has been designed around 50:50 distribution.