The mkiv Supra Owners Club

“The legend returns” Toyota GB tweet tease of supra with BGW

Marcus GTE

• Replies 257
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm going to do a separate thread on my trip to Geneva when I get home at the weekend but I thought I'd just post the ones of the supra on here:

imageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimage

Honestly photos don't do justice to how good this car looks, it looks leagues better in the metal. I went back 5 times just to keep looking at it. You can see the lines of the production car already and it's going to look good.

I asked about details and the production car is going to be announced early next year (January probably) but no other details as of yet. I'm going to put my name down asap.

Good pics looks awesome! The rear quarter and roof reminds me of a t350/sagaris tvr,you can picture the road car without the gt arches it’s very ft1 which is great, if it does indeed have 450hp and dct tranny and is 50/50 weight and is lighter than the current mkiv then they will be onto a winner with this. Anyone know what the rumoured price is for the road car ?

Good pics looks awesome! The rear quarter and roof reminds me of a t350/sagaris tvr,you can picture the road car without the gt arches it’s very ft1 which is great, if it does indeed have 450hp and dct tranny and is 50/50 weight and is lighter than the current mkiv then they will be onto a winner with this. Anyone know what the rumoured price is for the road car ?

Cheers mate, i was really dubious they would actually meet the expectation when the ft1 was first shown but they've nailed it in my opinion.

I've heard a lot of rumours about power now some adamant it'll be 450bhp and some saying it'll be 330hp, it might be both it 2 different trims.

Another rumour was the price being between £40k to £60k which would be about right for 2 different models but then again wasn't the MKIV about £40k when it was released and that would be around £80k now so it may be more like that amount. In which case it would be out matched in its class and I'd be priced out no doubt.

Edited by JasonR24 (see edit history)

I also stopped by the Geneva auto show to see the JZA90. Got to admit, looks pretty sweet up close. Definitely a lot more excited for this now. Saw the BMW Z4 as well. Supra is getting the better deal in terms of looks imo.

Evolution of the supra.

Tried to get any angle I could to see any signs of an engine inside but I'm pretty sure there was nothing inside. Or if it was, then it wasn't running?

No intercoolers that I could make out through the grills. Rear exhaust pipe also looked fresh, like exhaust gas never passed through it, especially when shining torch deep within it.

No exhaust visible underneath chassis

Also no manual shifter, but 3 pedals?

Found Tetsuya Tada walking around the Toyota booth and got about a minute of his time before he had to go. He didn't spill any beans to my questions, but said I wouldn't be disappointed if I liked the MK4. So still anyone's guess :p

I'm going to do a separate thread on my trip to Geneva when I get home at the weekend but I thought I'd just post the ones of the supra on here:

Honestly photos don't do justice to how good this car looks, it looks leagues better in the metal. I went back 5 times just to keep looking at it. You can see the lines of the production car already and it's going to look good.

I asked about details and the production car is going to be announced early next year (January probably) but no other details as of yet. I'm going to put my name down asap.

Nice pics, must have been a great feeling seeing it up close and personal, with what it means.

I also stopped by the Geneva auto show to see the JZA90. Got to admit, looks pretty sweet up close. Definitely a lot more excited for this now. Saw the BMW Z4 as well. Supra is getting the better deal in terms of looks imo.

Evolution of the supra.

https://i.imgur.com/fR8PGa0h.jpg

Tried to get any angle I could to see any signs of an engine inside but I'm pretty sure there was nothing inside. Or if it was, then it wasn't running?

No intercoolers that I could make out through the grills. Rear exhaust pipe also looked fresh, like exhaust gas never passed through it, especially when shining torch deep within it.

https://i.imgur.com/j1VqSrEh.jpg

No exhaust visible underneath chassis

https://i.imgur.com/k37bOqnh.jpg

Also no manual shifter, but 3 pedals?

https://i.imgur.com/etzQKGA.png

Found Tetsuya Tada walking around the Toyota booth and got about a minute of his time before he had to go. He didn't spill any beans to my questions, but said I wouldn't be disappointed if I liked the MK4. So still anyone's guess :p

The ease with which they were pushing it into the stand in the earlier post demonstrated to me that it must have just been a rolling shell mock up.

They seem to still be deliberating over engine specs etc. I’d expect to see a few different trims at various price ranges; with the top of the range possibly even being a hybrid version, which I personally think is exciting, as it’ll be to boost performance, not just save the planet.

I was also surprised to hear how the Toyota BMW relationship seemed to hit the rocks early, with them saying it took 2 years to pretty much be on the same wavelength to make a start on the joint venture.

I love the pic you took of the history of the supra with all the chassis codes. So many media outlets have missed the significance(but not all)

Anyone else expect to see the S55 engine from the BMW M3? Made in 2014. It’s meant to be tuneable and reasonably reliable for a BMW engine.

Wouldn't surprise me if they do 3 trims, 4-cyl turbo (250-280 bhp), & straight 6 330 and a 450 BHP top end spec.

Note the mock up has the race position lighting as per Le Mans.. I think they have a clear aim to take this car racing in the LM-GTE class. Maybe they'll ditch the LMP1 series after this year and focus on the GT's with the Supra next year where there is a greater mix of manufacturers.

Cheers mate, i was really dubious they would actually meet the expectation when the ft1 was first shown but they've nailed it in my opinion.

I've heard a lot of rumours about power now some adamant it'll be 450bhp and some saying it'll be 330hp, it might be both it 2 different trims.

Another rumour was the price being between £40k to £60k which would be about right for 2 different models but then again wasn't the MKIV about £40k when it was released and that would be around £80k now so it may be more like that amount. In which case it would be out matched in its class and I'd be priced out no doubt.

Not bad considering I think the MKIV fully loaded was nearing 50k back in the day, we will have to wait and see I guess.

I wonder if this post back in 2005 is true that the owners of this site already own mkvsupra.net ? http://www.mkivsupra.net/vbb/showthread.php?43172-Mkvsupra-net/page2

I’m wondering if they will do a “TRD” version with a wide body kit. Maybe this will be the top spec?

As for the pricing, I suspect that at 450hp it will compete with the likes of the M3 and at BMWs £60k starting price I’d imagine Toyota will want to under cut them. There’s no way it’s going to be going up against the GTR, going with current rumours.

Edited by JasonR24 (see edit history)

• 5 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
I hope it looks better all finished up. I also hope they do a wide body edition like the TRD was..
Agree just want to see something official from Toyota & Gazoo on in it.

Think the GT kit they have shown does show what a wide body can look like and the potential for aftermarket.

But only time will tell I guess

• 4 weeks later...