The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Another whats my supra realistically going to fetch.

supra_jms

I have to agree with np89 on this.

The na's just a few years ago didnt cost much at all, neither did TT autos.

Got my first TT auto for 4500£, and it was a full bpu with a lot of other other parts.

You have to agree with him that in the past they weren't worth as much?

Well id agree too, you are doing nothing more than stating the obvious. They are worth more now, there aren't an abundance of unmodified cars and I for one would much rather buy a car with a fresh original paint than a stone chipped, dented mess if I could.

Alot of the big singles that come up for sale wont make 25k, imo to break that barrier it must have a built engine. There will be people out there prepared to pay it, because the cost involved in doing it are much higher as we all know.

To the OP, id not be selling for less than 6k, it will be a lovely example for anyone looking into ownership. I think your american idea may backfire though as its an aerotop, hardtops are rare there.

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Why is everyone using this thread to vent about what Supra prices used to be and that they're over priced now rather than just answering the question? lol

It is NA and fairly high miles but in current market I would have thought around 5k. May be a little more if you're lucky but shouldn't be much less.

These type of threads need banning, its everday lately, do your research, gauge a price yourself, job done, its really not rocket science to gauge the market theres plenty for sale to go off,

Not a dig at the OP but its getting out of hand with the amount of threads of value or agreed value

I've always liked the fact that this forum hasn't had strict rules on things like this, so long as people dont take thr piss.

The problem, IMO, is a small group of people who for reasons unknown, comment on every valuation thread and generally half the actual market value.

These type of threads need banning, its everday lately, do your research, gauge a price yourself, job done, its really not rocket science to gauge the market theres plenty for sale to go off,

Not a dig at the OP but its getting out of hand with the amount of threads of value or agreed value

I believe they are completely relivent though. For example you say do your research.

Ok well i bought the car for £7k

An aerotop na auto in baltic blue with 200,000kms just sold for £7,250 yet people on here are saying my car is worth 5/6k which is very different to what a bit of research might suggest.

The car alone has had around £5,000 spent on it.

Yes i can imagine it gets annoying seeing people ask the same question however (not having a dig) you do not have to comment on them all. (Don't mean that rudely)

I agree. It's also not really the point of an owners club if half the threads are about people wanting to sell their cars lol

Realistically its an NA Auto and despite what people are putting them up for is about £3k worth max. People thinking they are getting 6 and 7k for NAs at all are dreamers

/QUOTE]

Loooooool you're a funny guy ;) it's an aerotop to. I suppose that devalues it further.

I believe they are completely relivent though. For example you say do your research.

Ok well i bought the car for £7k

An aerotop na auto in baltic blue with 200,000kms just sold for £7,250 yet people on here are saying my car is worth 5/6k which is very different to what a bit of research might suggest.

The car alone has had around £5,000 spent on it.

Yes i can imagine it gets annoying seeing people ask the same question however (not having a dig) you do not have to comment on them all. (Don't mean that rudely)

Well what id take from that is, if the baltic sold for 7,250 then obviously yours is worth more, put a number on it what YOU value it at based on the sale you mentioned and if it sells it sells if it doesnt you've over valued its easier to lower a price than highten it

Folk saying its worth 3k are having a laugh( i honestly cant remember the last time i seen a crap aero forsale at that money never mind a looked after one),

aye theres chancers out there asking over the odds, which corrupts the gauging of the market but theyre easy to spot, but if yours is a genuinely good car why worry, you'll know when its veiwed by a potential buyer and they pay the money you want

Ive seen the car on facebook it looks mint, im a huge fan of 1A1, im not trying to damage your thread, im simply making a point on how many threads theres been lately on this type of thing, its getting to be a joke

Well what id take from that is, if the baltic sold for 7,250 then obviously yours is worth more, put a number on it what YOU value it at based on the sale you mentioned and if it sells it sells if it doesnt you've over valued its easier to lower a price than highten it

Folk saying its worth 3k are having a laugh( i honestly cant remember the last time i seen a crap aero forsale at that money never mind a looked after one),

aye theres chancers out there asking over the odds, which corrupts the gauging of the market but theyre easy to spot, but if yours is a genuinely good car why worry, you'll know when its veiwed by a potential buyer and they pay the money you want

Ive seen the car on facebook it looks mint, im a huge fan of 1A1, im not trying to damage your thread, im simply making a point on how many threads theres been lately on this type of thing, its getting to be a joke

See that is fine!

You have A stated a valid point and given advice on what you would do and also said about how annoying it is people putting up these posts. Its the people that are purely commenting to moan about the thread thats damaging the thread. Thank you for your input!

No it isn't.

Rising interest in classic and sports cars, new sports cars becoming less interesting, and external economic factors, and basic demand/supply are pushing the prices up, not owners.

I don't agree with the NP re the value of an NA but I don't agree with you here.

The spike in price has been sudden which goes against the above theory.

I do think sellers are demanding higher prices and pushing prices up and more cars are being broken so there is less supply.

I think Toyota pushing prices up (new headlights anyone?) is also adding to seller confidence. Those worn headlights they'd have sold for £200 are suddenly worth much more etc etc

To put this into perspective i recently renewed my insurance on my NA5. I asked for an agreed valuation of 8k and they accepted it with no questions asked, they didnt even ask for any pictures.

/QUOTE]

Sorry to disappoint but an agreed value doesn't mean a car is worth that value. They just use the agreed value to calculate the premium. I bet if you'd said £15k they would have not asked questions either; they would have just demanded a higher premium.

Edited by marbleapple (see edit history)

The problem, IMO, is a small group of people who for reasons unknown, comment on every valuation thread and generally half the actual market value.

It's fine, they offset the people who comment with double the market value :D .

:Popcorn:

Here goes...my 2p worth...

to the OP, personally I think you bought the car at a higher price than what it might actually be worth, that's not a bad thing, if you want a car you'll pay the price. That's life.

The fact you've put x amount of £'s into it unfortunately this won't really increase the price by much considering what you've done. I'm guessing you spent this money expecting to hold on to the car and not sell so quickly and not to try and make a profit? I only say this as I've seen this car for sale a few times in the last 6 months, definitely once previously by yourself.

I'm not having a dig, I hope it doesn't come across like I am, but my advice would be, if you're wanting to sell, stick it up for £7k and expect to make a small loss on the price and take the money you've put into it as a learning experience.

It's got good things going for it, it's a nice car, nice colour and an aero top. But unfortunately I can't see it making much more and I think you may have bought it for its top price.

Personally with the amount of work and money you've put into it, I'd keep it and enjoy it and who knows, it may increase in value or the right buyer may come along.

Don't rely on this 'the USA can import them soon' whisper that's going around, it isn't going to suddenly add ££££'s to the value of our cars, the USA already has a good import scene and I personally don't think they'll be scouring UK Gumtree for a bargain when a) prices here are rising as has been mentioned and b) the import costs alone will be astronomical.

As I said, I'm not having a dig, and it's just my 2p worth.

Gordy

I don't agree with the NP re the value of an NA but I don't agree with you here.

I do think sellers are demanding higher prices and pushing prices up and more cars are being broken so there is less supply.

I think Toyota pushing prices up (new headlights anyone?) is also adding to seller confidence. Those worn headlights they'd have sold for £200 are suddenly worth much more etc etc

Sorry to disappoint but an agreed value doesn't mean a car is worth that value. They just use the agreed value to calculate the premium. I bet if you'd said £15k they would have not asked questions either; they would have just demanded a higher premium.

I dont think you can just pick a price and then they base the premium around it..

If that were the case surely they'd end up with people insuring there 2k car for an agreed value of 20k, paying the first months insurance and then "accidentally" writing the car off, netting themselves 20k for the cost of 1 months payment.

Im not saying my way of looking at it is entirely accurate.. but i reckon it would get you in the ball park

My 2p's worth

I think advertise it for 8.5-9k but be in for a long wait!

4k for paint is a top end. A classic car restorer who paints very high end stuff quoted me 3.5-4k but that's engine out, under sills and arches and all removable panels off painted inside and out and windows out too.

Why sell you seem to bounce from pillar to post with this car!

What is the rarest model supra Mkiv excluding ltd editions I know my std UK 6 speeds are thin on the ground.

On the what is it worth thread subject I really do not mind them you do not have to read or reply some people need to take a chill pill!

3 years ago I turned down a UK auto for 2.8k (it needed a full paint) yes I should have bought it (it's now in Belguim I think) at the time I thought 6k to sell

I can't see the point in selling it if you've just spent £4k on a paint job. Enjoy it yourself! Unfortunately you wont see much of that £4k if and when you come to sell.

Its like spending £10k on a new kitchen, it won't add £10k to the price of the house, in fact some spoilt bint is likely to view the house with with her husband and say "this needs ripping out...."

I would like to thank all the recent replys! You have all been really helpful and polite.

I agree with all points and honestly i chop and change my mind every 2 minutes! I knew when i sent the car in for paint i wouldn't see all the money back but i didn't plan to sell right away.

To be honest, there is no point asking this forum for a what's it worth.

The majority here bought their Supra's years ago, when prices were high, and the rest probably bought theirs when the prices were low.

We don't actually have many members joined recently who bought recently.

So when people say prices are over priced, they are probably delusional.

Or maybe bitter they didn't get a few cars when the prices bottomed out.

Prices fluctuate.

I bought my first NA hardtop manual for £7K in 2006.

Yeah a few years ago you could pick Supra's up for peanuts, but prices have risen.

Due to popularity again, demand, cost of parts, cost of spares etc.

It's not rocket science.

It's not sudden, it's happened over 4 years, and like I said before it has also happened to many of the other iconic Japanese performance and tuner cars.