The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Those of you with auto's that only ever owned manuals.

Guest TheRedViper

Only ever owned manual Supras. Both V160 boxes. One BPU and the current one a single turbo.

I find low speed gearing a pain. Slow moving traffic is a pain. But for interactive spirited driving the manual is a winner.

I have driven my friends UK auto TT and I really enjoyed it. It pulled hard on kick down and was definately a better daily driver.

I always go for manual because they are more desirable and have a better resale value and can handle higher power (so one less thing to worry about when modding the car).

If neither of these are an issue for you then an auto is a more than adequate car. I don't think you would be disappointed.

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Granted some are worse than others but heavy clutched is nothing to do with the gearbox that's people fitting cheap clutches . The manual it has been proven to take over 1000hp again and again so a little noise and clunk is not bad considering a auto will crap it's self at around 550-600 . I went auto bpu to manual and it was the best thing ever auto sucks up more power ,sounds naff from the outside as it's a slow changing box not like modern auto's and I just had better control of the car overall.

I feel I must refrain from answering the last comments other than to say - ask anyone who has been in my car or followed it - it by no means changes gear slowly or sounds naff lol;)

Guest TheRedViper

Every Friday evening I'll be driving 2 hours in rush hour up the m6 which turns into nearly 4 hours, so the auto might be a better option. I think if I find a clean car within my budget I'll consider it either way.

Edited by TheRedViper (see edit history)

I have a tiptronic... Best of both :D

The auto box is an absolute joy though, in town, traffic and on motorways is perfect. Only limitation I feel it has is it's "off the line" speed is very poor without being able to bring up the revs before setting off. But you can get around this by fitting a high stall didgeridoo or whatever it is and some other bits (haven't really looked into it).

I originally wanted a manual, but I don't "want" a manual over my tippy' as I'm perfectly happy with it... That adn you may see modern performance cars, super cars etc are all going the way of autoboxes or tiptronic

The tiptronic is a different beast to the regular autos though, the gear changes feel quite a bit quicker, and the tiptronic system is far more responsive than the clunky lever on the regular auto. VVTi must help too.

Mine doesn't feel sluggish off the line, and any disadvantage to a manual can be offset by powerbraking. :)

I had only ever owned manuals.

I originally wanted a manual Supra when looking to buy, but with my budget being pretty low and missing out on a 5 speed NA i just settled for the Auto.

To be honest, i think they are pretty underated, i was massively impressed and can still move when she has too!

Manu Mode is different but still keeps it fun on track.

However, my current plans for the car mean i now want a manual conversion. I have spent and done too much for me to sell up and buy a complete manual only to do it all over again....

I feel I must refrain from answering the last comments other than to say - ask anyone who has been in my car or followed it - it by no means changes gear slowly or sounds naff lol;)

I will echo this!!!Ile the sound of Johns screamer pipe still echoing in my head from the run up to the summer bbq meet lol

I have four cars, a big merc, e-300 td, this has to be auto with kick down,long journeys in heavy traffic, a Corsa sport. 1.4 auto, wife's car and a Hyundai sports coupe auto,

My Supra Mk4 is manual with a limited slip disff axle, this means you can spin the wheels and power out of bends etc and you are controlling the power delivery, not a hydro auoto usa market box. My friends always frown on LHD sports cars and auto's, they call them hair dressers cars. Not saying i agree and if you prefer the auto sports cars then it's ok.

To me the actual "driving" of a sports car is a big part of the joy of owning one, let's face it most of us have them as a weekend toy and the hardcore driving is king, you are not just getting from a to b in heavy traffic where i agree the autos are king. At the TT races at the Isle of Man which i have been involved with, the electric bikes are being introduced from the USA, they have no gear changes, no exhaust noise, and when they are racing we all go to the pub.

I have watched the NA/T's on youtube and the exhaust sound on a manual with gear changes at the right rpm are awesome, the autos just cannot do it for me.

It's every one to their own, you pay your money and you take your choice.

My brother bought his tt auto new and i bought my na at the same time from new, when i get my NA/T conversion from the doctor, my brother, for the first time in 18 years, will be blown off. lol.

Edited by herbiemercman (see edit history)

My TT auto is the first auto car i have owned, the box is brilliant compared to other autos

But im still doing a manual conversion starting this weekend, purely because i just prefer a manual car deep down, regardless of how good the auto box is, its not a manual and ultimately if youre a manual lover you will crave manual once the novelty wears off

Maybe once my manual is in ill crave my auto box back who knows :)

And to add to previous comments, auto or manual makes no difference to getting the back end out, if you cant kick the back end out on an auto then you cant drive especially when you have manu mode lol

If your planning to be a drift champion them maybe a manual will be needed

Guest markolambo
There are two reasons to buy a manual:

1. You like to get the back end out going round roundabouts late at night

b. You're worried what other people will say if you buy an auto

Only if your still at school

Granted some are worse than others but heavy clutched is nothing to do with the gearbox that's people fitting cheap clutches . The manual it has been proven to take over 1000hp again and again so a little noise and clunk is not bad considering a auto will crap it's self at around 550-600 . I went auto bpu to manual and it was the best thing ever auto sucks up more power ,sounds naff from the outside as it's a slow changing box not like modern auto's and I just had better control of the car overall.

The cars I have driven, from NA6 to 6 speed single have all had a heavy clutch when compared to "normal" daily drivers, and there's no way on earth I'd have wanted to do DB last year in a 6 speed. My NA6 had a stock clutch at 60k miles in it, and I'd rather have removed and eaten my own liver than done rush hour in Brussels in that!

My sister has a 350bhp Impreza with a performance clutch in it, and it's no heavier than my transit.

The noise yours makes is obscene Mr B! And the gear changes are EPIC!!

I have four cars, a big merc, e-300 td, this has to be auto with kick down,long journeys in heavy traffic, a Corsa sport. 1.4 auto, wife's car and a Hyundai sports coupe auto,

My Supra Mk4 is manual with a limited slip disff axle, this means you can spin the wheels and power out of bends etc and you are controlling the power delivery, not a hydro auoto usa market box. My friends always frown on LHD sports cars and auto's, they call them hair dressers cars. Not saying i agree and if you prefer the auto sports cars then it's ok.

To me the actual "driving" of a sports car is a big part of the joy of owning one, let's face it most of us have them as a weekend toy and the hardcore driving is king, you are not just getting from a to b in heavy traffic where i agree the autos are king. At the TT races at the Isle of Man which i have been involved with, the electric bikes are being introduced from the USA, they have no gear changes, no exhaust noise, and when they are racing we all go to the pub.

I have watched the NA/T's on youtube and the exhaust sound on a manual with gear changes at the right rpm are awesome, the autos just cannot do it for me.

It's every one to their own, you pay your money and you take your choice.

My brother bought his tt auto new and i bought my na at the same time from new, when i get my NA/T conversion from the doctor, my brother, for the first time in 18 years, will be blown off. lol.

You'll be surprised... Especially if your brother has a full bpu TT auto, I've shown a clean pair of heels to many a car who thought an auto supra was no good or match. It's all about Manu mode!

No need to take it personally :) I don't need to ask anyone that has been in your car as I have been in enough auto singles to know. But I will still say it is a slow changing box after all it is 20 year old technology! Put it this way a VW Golf with a dsg box does changes in 0.2seconds on top of that no torque loss to the drivetrain during the shift . I don't disagree that BPU kick down is savage but in a single it's just a ditch finder or in your case a barrier finder ;)

Edited by chazuk (see edit history)

No need to take it personally :) I don't need to ask anyone that has been in your car as I have been in enough auto singles to know. But I will still say it is a slow changing box after all it is 20 year old technology! Put it this way a VW Golf with a dsg box does changes in 0.2seconds on top of that no torque loss to the drivetrain during the shift . I don't disagree that BPU kick down is savage but in a single it's just a ditch finder or in your case a barrier finder ;)

Oh no you didn't