The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Those of you with auto's that only ever owned manuals.

Guest TheRedViper

This is only my opinion, for me the Supra is a sports car.

It is too big and heavy for a sports car. Toyotas current sports car is the GT86. Before that it was the MR2. Some may argue the Celica is too, but I don't really class FWD coupes as sports cars as such. Others include the Mazda RX7, Honda S2000, BMW Z3 & Z4, Jaguar F-Type etc.

The Supra is in the same category as things like the Jaguar XKR, Mitsubishi 3000GT, Nissan 300ZX, Porsche 928, Aston Martin DB7 etc. They are a class up from sports cars, which in English is referred to as a GT. :)

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

As I told you earlier, changing to paddles will have a huge impact on the way it drives :) And is about £4k cheaper than a manual swap :D

I followed Jays paddle guide and find it really makes the Tip auto more fun. I found the 6 quite clunky, some have described it as agricultural, where as the auto is much smoother. That is until you kick down with a heavy right foot, then its pretty brutal which makes me smile and the mrs grip on to something with panic in her eyes :)

What a bunch of sissies :)

Scott had it bang on - when you want to have fun - no better than the manual.

however being practical and negotiating traffic - hard to beat an Auto.

Tiptronic - best of both worlds? = no chance - too much of a compromise.

I have a paddle shift gearbox in my Porsche and its great but not as fun as a manual.

Tiptronic - best of both worlds? = no chance - too much of a compromise.

It's better looking at it as a much improved auto. It has none of the downsides of a manual, but all the benefits of an auto, but much better manual gear control. The problem with the tiptronics is the stock buttons are much like the porsche ones - they add nothing to the driving experience. The other advantage is being able to keep both hands on the wheel when dricing quickly - which is a big advantage on country roads in a big, powerful RWD car with questionable traction control :D