The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Those of you with auto's that only ever owned manuals.

Guest TheRedViper

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

No need to take it personally :) I don't need to ask anyone that has been in your car as I have been in enough auto singles to know. But I will still say it is a slow changing box after all it is 20 year old technology! Put it this way a VW Golf with a dsg box does changes in 0.2seconds on top of that no torque loss to the drivetrain during the shift . I don't disagree that BPU kick down is savage but in a single it's just a ditch finder or in your case a barrier finder ;)

These only so much you can do with a stock autobox though, once you upgrade to a Boostlogic/Titan/SRD box and have the Syvecs controlling the changes etc, its like chalk and cheese.

Bit of a dickish comment regarding the accident we had, is there really any need?

No need to take it personally :) I don't need to ask anyone that has been in your car as I have been in enough auto singles to know. But I will still say it is a slow changing box after all it is 20 year old technology! Put it this way a VW Golf with a dsg box does changes in 0.2seconds on top of that no torque loss to the drivetrain during the shift . I don't disagree that BPU kick down is savage but in a single it's just a ditch finder or in your case a barrier finder ;)

That was down to a hi stall in the rain without traction control on - nothing else next thing your be telling me that manuals don't get out of shape or have accidents

The cars I have driven, from NA6 to 6 speed single have all had a heavy clutch when compared to "normal" daily drivers, and there's no way on earth I'd have wanted to do DB last year in a 6 speed. My NA6 had a stock clutch at 60k miles in it, and I'd rather have removed and eaten my own liver than done rush hour in Brussels in that!

My sister has a 350bhp Impreza with a performance clutch in it, and it's no heavier than my transit.

They certainly have a heavier clutch than a "normal car" but it's not that heavy to be honest. Put it this way, even my wife drives it in central London traffic, so man up Ben :D

These only so much you can do with a stock autobot though, once you upgrade to a Boostlogic/Titan/SRD box and have the Syvecs controlling the changes etc, its like chalk and cheese.

Bit of a dickish comment regarding the accident we had, is there really any need?

That was down to a hi stall in the rain without traction control on - nothing else next thing your be telling me that manuals don't get out of shape or have accidents

I would not take notice of him, seems to like spouting out rubbish.

They certainly have a heavier clutch than a "normal car" but it's not that heavy to be honest. Put it this way, even my wife drives it in central London traffic, so man up Ben :D

Have to agree with Abz here, the 6 speed is perfectly fine. After all the comments I've heard about it being like a tractor I was shocked at how wrong that comment was. Easy changes and feels tight as it should.

As usual spouting rubbish, he got banned for a reason that has no relevance to your nonsense but as usual feel free to go around spending rumours, that's what little girls do anyway ;)

Rarely have I seen you so animated before.....chill winston....

Have to agree with Abz here, the 6 speed is perfectly fine. After all the comments I've heard about it being like a tractor I was shocked at how wrong that comment was. Easy changes and feels tight as it should.

I thought that until I drove my NA6 back to back with a mk1 mx5. It is certainly not terrible, but they would never be considered a great feeing box like an MX5 or E46 M3.

I've always owned manuals, I used to look down a bit on auto's tbh, saw them as a solution for people who couldn't drive properly and I discounted car's straight away if they were auto, no matter how much I liked everything else about them.

But I was looking for a quick 4 door and after finding out that Aristo's only ever came in auto's I thought I'd give one a try because there was no other option but Auto(tiptronic)... After nearly 2 years of ownership I think they're great and I definitely wouldn't spend the money in making it manual now personally.

I do miss "driving" a manual sometimes because of clutch control and feel when you're driving fast but mine has tiptronic, which is very efficient, day-to-day driving I mainly keep it in full auto though tbh it makes town driving effortless.

If performance was the sole reason you wanted a manual you could spend the saved change on single conversion/auto box upgrades.

If it's a dedicated track car then manual would be the logical first choice and it would be my personal choice but there's a reason why super cars are semi-auto, they change gears very quickly. After-market paddle kits are cheap to buy to convert a full auto too.

If it's a drag car then auto's are often used instead of manuals for the reasons above.

If I was buying a Supra then manual would be my first choice in theory because it's a sport's car and anyone who can drive would if they were the same price/availability, but if it was the difference between a good few k and the auto ticked every box then I'd choose auto every time now.

Ultimately my advice is test drive them both, you'll see for yourself that Toyota auto boxes are damn good and whether it's worth paying more for a manual or not would depend on you personally not because auto's are widely regarded as inferior.

Depends what you will REALLY be using the car for, my heart thinks I am a street racing hoonigan who needs a big turbo and 6 speed to satisfy my needs, truth is I drive like Miss Daisy most of the time, or I am stuck in traffic listening to talksport, the Auto is the box for me even though I have a 6 speed, mind you I have changed my mind on Supra set ups a few times in the past !

Test them both and be honest with yourself and don't get sucked into what people say on here about it as you will get very apposing answers

Depends what you will REALLY be using the car for, my heart thinks I am a street racing hoonigan who needs a big turbo and 6 speed to satisfy my needs, truth is I drive like Miss Daisy most of the time, or I am stuck in traffic listening to talksport, the Auto is the box for me even though I have a 6 speed, mind you I have changed my mind on Supra set ups a few times in the past !

:) - personally am a LBC man myself...

I wanted a six speed when I was looking for a supra but couldn't afford it at the time. I have had mine for 5 years now and have a single turbo on it and love it. The auto box keeps it steady when you want to put your foot down. I don't really drive it hard all the time and dont take it on track but I love how it drives

I just picked up my Aristo Tiptronic yesterday...

AND hell yeah the tiptronic gearbox is really nice !! I definately like it !!

BUT I wouldn't by a Tiptronic Supra as for a Supra has to be Manual :)

The ARISTO is really a nice alternativ to the Supra with a great Luxus that you don't have in any Supra.

Having a lot of experience with both, I would disagree. The Supra was designed with/for the autobox, the manual was very much an afterthought. The manual is better for those building track cars, or do a lot of driving on tight country roads (though the Supra probably isn't the ideal car for that for most). In all other respects, the auto is a better car.

When I was looking for mine I was so focused on getting a FL white TT6 but they ended up been top end of my budget and trying to find a car that was already in the UK was difficult.

I settled with a Tiptronic, and to be honest I wish I had held out for a manual. The tiptronic feels weird to me having driven manuals all my life and I can't get on the with autobox. Its a weekend car and there doesnt seem to be any involvement when taking it out for a blast.

In a straight line its really quick (BPU) with the gear changes and you can get to license breaking speeds really quickly but on a nice B road in the corners the box seems hard to judge what gear to be in and if your not pushing it, it will change on its own even in manual mode.

Over time I thought id get used to it but its just made me a lazy driver :(. I know alot of people like the auto box and I cant really compare it to anything else as its my first auto but I would go out in both and see what you think is the best.

In a straight line its really quick (BPU) with the gear changes and you can get to license breaking speeds really quickly but on a nice B road in the corners the box seems hard to judge what gear to be in and if your not pushing it, it will change on its own even in manual mode.

Mine gets used a lot on country roads, and it never changes gear when in 'M' on corners. The only way it would ever do that is if you floored the accelerator, which you would never do while going in to a corner anyway. I wonder if your 'box is okay?

As I told you earlier, changing to paddles will have a huge impact on the way it drives :) And is about £4k cheaper than a manual swap :D