The mkiv Supra Owners Club

The Official 2015 F1 Thread

Nic

• Replies 393
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Its about green credentials though, hybrid systems, small capacity combustion engines etc, so if the goal is more noise and they retain turbos, its utterly pointless. So is the refuelling thing unless they keep the same max fuel flow and have tiny fuel tanks.

Taken from the BBC page. Turbos remain so they can't possibly be any louder

"The engine rules, which saw the introduction of turbo hybrid engines and a fuel restriction last year, will remain stable.

This is to give clarity for any potential new manufacturers who may be considering entering the sport.

But it is the return of refuelling which will attract the most attention - the practice was last permitted in 2009.

Mercedes F1 boss Toto Wolff said: "We discussed many topics. Refuelling was banned because of cost and because the pit stops were taking too long. But we want to re-explore it and see if we can make pit stops for fuel and tyres happen in the same time it takes to change the tyres now - two to three seconds.

"We have agreed to explore this avenue and the cost involved because it could be spectacular. If it's too expensive, we won't do it."

The FIA said a "maximum race fuel allowance" would be retained. Wolff said there had been no discussion of increasing the current allowance of 100kg. He and the FIA said the maximum fuel-flow rate of 100kg per hour would stay.

There has been mounting criticism of the spectacle provided by F1 in recent years and the developments are a clear attempt to address that.

Drivers have been critical that the cars are too slow - in some races they are up to 10 seconds slower than in 2004.

The FIA said this would be addressed for 2017 by "aerodynamic rules evolution, wider tyres and a reduction in car weight".

They can easily make the cars louder its only tweaking the exhaust, Look how many varieties they are for the supra and how they all sound so different from each other, just from changing the box design and materials used in to,

Think they should get a pops and bangs map :D that would be class

I don't see the point in bringing back refueling, it's only spectacular when it goes wrong and just brings

more strategy into the mix which i appreciate but it's not great for viewing.

Totally disagree with that, well apart from the spectacular point. But for me and it is all about personal opinion bring back refuelling, free choice on tyres is brilliant.

For me they should go back to testing all the time and spend the Bucks wherever and whenever. Alas with that approach we would not get enough teams.

They can easily make the cars louder its only tweaking the exhaust

How? Currently its an open pipe from the turbo to atmosphere, approx 18" of pipework. It cannot get any louder. A turbo's job is to extract energy from the exhaust stream, less energy, less noise.

I don't like refuelling, as above it just adds more strategy rather than more racing. Maybe it will work but it depends how they decide to do the fuel loads and tank size in the end, if they can work it so cars will be on different enough fuel loads to affect performance then it could alter the speed differential between racers - which is essentially what we want. Tyre choice is a good one, that will make some faster and some slower on the day, and it will play to different strengths of chassis setup etc.

I just wish they'd go to a reverse grid, you get all the racing you want and you can make it so people can actually race flat out rather than saving tyres/fuel all the time.

I agree that I want to see more flat out racing, I am bored of fuel and tyre saving.

Maybe refuelling and open choice tyre would do this. I also have heard the commentators talk about how the new nose design has limited over taking due to not being able to get too close as the dirty air is more detrimental to the car now.

The other thing I would love to see getting ditched is 'Blue Flags'. Yes you have Kimi's outlook on it that if you do not want blue flags drive faster, but we all know that is not easy to do in F1's current state.

On flip side of this, the drivers all proclaim talent so should that not mean getting passed all obstacles? I am sure that removing blue flags would make it interesting with drivers not having to yield when being lapped.

Open the rules right up.

1. You have x kg of fuel for the race. How you use it is up to you.

2. You have to have x percent of your power supplied by KERS. Whether that's recovered by brakes or by flywheel is up to you.

3. Cars must be no less than 600kg fully loaded, with driver.

4. Cars must produce no more than x kg of downforce at 100mph & Cars must produce no more than y kg of downforce at 150mph. How it's produced is irrelevant. Ground effects or wings, or both.

5. One compulsory tyre stop, no need for both compounds to be run in a race.

6. Qualifying must be done on Prime and Option tyres. Time is the average of both runs.

7. Lewis Hamilton must be punched in the ribs by each driver on the parade laps.

Such a raft of noise generating things on the menu from the strategy group...did they engage the fans before the meeting?

There is only 1 solution to F1. Limited expenditure at the same time as nearly unlimited technical boundaries. But that by-the-by as it will never happen.

Refueling costs a lot - is dengerous - if they are adding fuel for about 3seconds - what does it matter?

Higher rev limits (noise), wider tyres, free tyre choice (nomination before the event) are all sensible and good. The weight drop is interesting as it was raised to assist heavier drivers...how will they fair now?

Customer Cars...hmm. No. Bigger technical support packages, yes. I think the constructors should be able to sell more to other teams. And there should be an FIA price for the parts. If you can buy a tub, PU, gearbox and suspension for a known price then you should be able to budget to clothe it and run it for a season. I would allow 3rd (non-scoring) cars if it meant we were guaranteed more cars on track. More cars = more going on for the fans to watch. More top drivers getting a chance.

On the blue flag subject. There are no blueflags in karting. The team can always tell the lapee that they have a leader behind them, if they want.

No blue flags would make it downright dangerous thats why they have them across all forms of motorsport.

What, anymore dangerous than passing a car for a place. The only difference in this aspect is the car being lapped is a lot slower. So really whats the difference? Are blue flags not there so not to interrupt the leading cars. It is like saying lapping Jenson is dangerous as he is being shown a blue flag............really?

They are paid millions or maybe not as much as the leaders but these guys are meant to be the best in the world, hardly seems best in the world when they get to the back of the field and they have to get out the way. Where is the talent then? And yeah that goes for all sports.

Thats DC column is an ace read. Ive been an F1 fan all my life and I have to say over the past few years I have been turned off. F1 could learn a lot from BTCC IMO.

Christian Horner got the summary of the strategy group spot on this week when he said they decide on a load of stuff not to agree on and have some very nice sandwiches! How can they decide on the strategy of the future of F1 based on assumptions of what the fans want when they have not asked anyone!

Re-fueling would add excitement in the pits - as it might go wrong, I don't want to see races won in the pits!

1000 bhp is just raising costs - however it will make for more mistakes which will aid racing.

Noise is just noise (he says after being a child with pops and bangs on Dragonball :D ). Id quite happy live with the current formula if the racing was better.

Points for quail and fastest lap would add to the spectacle, as would success ballast

Main thing for me is the rethink of aerodynamics around the front of the car so the cars can run under the rear wing of another car and not be so effected. DRS feels false