The mkiv Supra Owners Club

The Official 2015 F1 Thread

Nic

• Replies 393
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's odd. We had a larger number of finishers last year didn't we? (Certainly starters) so what's the excuse with a year under the belts of the teams with these rules? Beggers belief.

The front was utterly dull, though pleased for LH, stark contrast to last years race! I expect Nico to get on better terms at the next round though. As for the rest, you've gotta hand it to Ferrari they have really improved the PU as evidenced by Sauber too. Williams have their hands full to get 2nd in the championship (1st isn't a contest).

Well done to JB for bringing it home...an 11th place finish might be important!!

All the new guys did pretty well imo. Those that could take the start that is!

I don't think Alonso will be phased, getting a car to the finish was a good start, I think there's a good car waiting to be unleashed.

The FIA and the engine manufacturers need to take emergency measures to make Renault and Honda competative. Yes Mercedes and Ferarri should maintain AN advantage by virtue of doing a better job but it's wholly ridiculous that in R1 Session 1 Ricciardo was down to 3 engines for the whole season...and it being undrivable too. For the sake of reliability Renault/Honda need early season tests.

While i agree Ferrari have improved greatly, being over thirty seconds adrift at the end of the race should not be taken as a good result.With regard to Honda i seem to remember many years ago when they were playing catch up they did it by half way through the season,however this may be a taller order depending on how good the Maclaren car is.

This http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/formula1/31893787 disappoints me. Let her have a damn go. If Bottas cannot race I want her to be given the chance, IF she wants it.

Completely agree, I fear it will come down to money as they also have Alex Lynn on the books too.

With regards to Honda I really don't understand how they can get it so wrong. The standard ECUs and electronics of Mclaren have not changed from last year. They have had over a year to develop the engine, get it on a dyno and run race simulations on it with all the software and Mclaren engineers on hand - its simply not acceptable that they have to turn down the power just to make it finish a race.

The engine should have done several race distances on an engine dyno by now. I know thats exactly what Merc have done as I've seen the engine dyno rooms.

It was around 2.5s delta wasn't it? I'm guessing a good 3/4 of that is down to the powertrain being turned down for reliability. Both JB and FA have said the car feels good, so make an assumption that the chassis is 0.5s down on Merc? Just thinking out loud :D

Honda can only improve but its another year gone as far as Alonso and Button

are concerned.

It'll be very interesting to see where the McLaren gets to race by race

Why a year? They have ben given 9 tokens they can use this year. If honda get on with it and stop messing about they can introduce engine changes for the european season!?

Time will tell but they're so far off the pace it'll take half the season to get anywhere near Mercedes, imo. I hope

i'm wrong as i'd love to see them at the sharp end but don't see it happening this year

I dont agree. The reason they are so far off is because they have capped the power usage so much and been so conservative - some say dropping as much as 100-150 hp. Thats not saying the engine can't do it but its needed for reliability. Find whats failing and design a new component to fix it being introduced with the next cycle of the engine on the 4 per season rule. As soon as next race on k.Mag/fernandos car :D

I dont agree. The reason they are so far off is because they have capped the power usage so much and been so conservative - some say dropping as much as 100-150 hp. Thats not saying the engine can't do it but its needed for reliability. Find whats failing and design a new component to fix it being introduced with the next cycle of the engine on the 4 per season rule. As soon as next race on k.Mag/fernandos car :D

Given the amount of large chunks of metal that flew out of the engine bay, Ida say its a complete redesign :D

It's pretty poor from Williams if they choose someone other than Wolff, in the event that Bottas cannot race in Malaysia. Makes a bit of a mockery of her and the sport; how can you have a designated Test Driver when there's such little testing?

After being involved in a very interesting briefing by Pat Symonds today, theres a clear hierarchy with drivers, it goes development driver, test driver, reserve driver, race driver.

Williams don't have a reserve driver, and haven't had for the last 3 seasons, plus when Valters was pulled out it was after the cut off point to nominate your reserve (4pm on the friday) and once qualifying has started you're stuck with your line up.

Valters has a tear on one of his spinal discs but is currently undergoing rehab in Bali. Alright for some :D