The mkiv Supra Owners Club

The Official 2015 F1 Thread

Nic

• Replies 393
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You can't get more involving than a round pipe coming straight out of the turbo. Its the choice of V6s thats the problem.

Not sure I get you here... Displacement maybe but not the V6 itself. The turbo is a baffle, a turbo charged engine is always quieter than it's NA equiv. Because it's returning waste energy (sound/heat) into the combustion process.

Noise is wasted energy, the focus from the new rules with fuel efficiency being primary, was efficiency. So what you're listening to, is the most efficient petrol engines ever made. For reference most petrol engines convert 30% of potential energy in the combustion process to actual driving forces. 70% is lost to heat/noise. A diesel is about 40% efficient. An F1 1.6L V6 is about 40% too...and probably climbing year on year. It might not sound like a huge jump but 10% is a 1/3 of 30% so the engines in F1 are ~33.3% more efficient than the best road cars at the moment. That tech will get to road cars, can you imagine if the Supra had had a super efficient engine like that, it would have come out the factory with an extra 100hp for no loss.

I like the fact we can hear other things going on with the cars right now. Lock ups are more audible for instance. I believe the manufacturers are trying to capture and enhance the noise for the spectacle but it gets harder as you push for efficiency.

LOL - that's a first. Made my day.

Nope I just read and watch a lot. And try to pay attention to really clever people like Digsy who is a Powertrain engineer.

I would love to be involved in F1, but alas I'm not quite bright enough. Another guy that used to be on here is/was working for an F1 team directly.

Not sure I get you here... Displacement maybe but not the V6 itself. .

I didn't put that very clearly I suppose. The loudest a turbo car is ever going to be is when the exhaust exits straight to atmosphere. The turbo removes energy from the exhaust gas stream to power the compressor, thats why its deemed as quiet compared to an NA engine, where all the energy escapes uninterrupted.

The V6 itself, its hardly the most charismatic engine noise around.

• 2 weeks later...

Her best GP3 quali effort was 22nd. She failed the 107% rule at least once in quali. Driving the same car Dean Stoneman won in later the same year.

Basically. She's c**p. But she's very pretty and will make the Lotus garage much more PR friendly. Lotus/Genii are just clutching at straws to get money in. Good on her for getting in such an enviable position...

Next week Mercedes are going to put all the Monster Energy drinks girls in overalls and tell the world they are development drivers whom the now single Hamilton is training in his spare time...

Susie Wolf still the only credible driver other than Danica.

Her best GP3 quali effort was 22nd. She failed the 107% rule at least once in quali. Driving the same car Dean Stoneman won in later the same year.

Basically. She's c**p. But she's very pretty and will make the Lotus garage much more PR friendly. Lotus/Genii are just clutching at straws to get money in. Good on her for getting in such an enviable position...

Next week Mercedes are going to put all the Monster Energy drinks girls in overalls and tell the world they are development drivers whom the now single Hamilton is training in his spare time...

Susie Wolf still the only credible driver other than Danica.

:D Love it.

Probably be in Hamiltons pants by the Australian GP.

I'm reading that Alonso is being told by doctors to sit out the first race

Read this also, my thinking is that they know they havent got the pace therefore Alonso is happy to sit out at the wish of the doctors, from my understanding they are just worried about causing damage as his last concussion was so close to the Australian GP

I've read the initial hit was recorded at around 30G sideways into the wall, then a 2nd hit of 15G when the car bounced and hit the wall again, that's gotta rattle the brain around somewhat.

If Alonso doesn't race I hope they give Magnussen a drive.

I dont understand why he was in hospital for so long and 3 weeks on they are telling him to miss the first race if its only for concussion. All the scan data they have publicly exposed has shown no damage and no bruising of the brain.

There must be more to this storey than they are telling the media.