Single turbo reccomendations

Tsia

• Replies 158
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

The Arnout ones are great, someone mailed me the other week saying they'd found a great condition used one. If I was doing one for myself i would want to try and find one. The Chinese copies are of unknown material spec and the material around the (small) wastegate port is narrow, there may be issues with gaskets blowing out. Again, personally, if I used one of those I would mill a U shaped groove around the wastegate port and drop a copper / asbestos O ring in, like the stock Toyota manifolds use on the manifold to turbo interfaces. I see loads of Trust manifolds that are cracked, too.

Well the next question is going to be the manifold - anybody have a recommendation for a log manifold? I've got to admit, the Japspeed tubular actually looks brilliant at the minute, it's all braced etc. to prevent cracking - it's just the price that worries me.

I have bought one of the race spec ones a few months ago when I cracked my xspower one, being that its of similar design so I dont have to change my down pipe and other parts of intercooler piping and induction piping or wastegate ,

So I wanted the best I could get once I recived it I was suprised how well made it was ,3mm thick to stop the cracking ,mandrel bends, braced but as chris says that will only stop the left to right movment not the up and down or front to back. The welds at the T4 flange where ported so to speak being that all the welds where cleaned up inside to give a smooth delivery to the turbo, I have not fitted it as yet but looks well made to me I can get more pictures if you like

I'm a big fan of cast manifolds, especially for your powergoals.

Arnouts manifold would be my nr.1 if you can find one.

The modified SPA manifold by FSR is also really good and proven for well over 900whp.

A little cheaper are the treadstone manifolds. Make sure to get a genuine one!

Needs a little bit of porting at the wastegate area, but nothing serious. Very well made.

I'm half tempted to get Whifbitz kit minus the turbo, it seems to come with everything I need so it'll save hassle in the long run, and I can fit whatever turbo I choose on to it. Seems to be the ticket right now.

Paul can prob source what ever turbo your looking at as well ;)

Reading through this makes me want to swap out my T88-34D for something smaller and faster spooling. I'm only running 1.3bar just now, so something like a GTX3582 (always wanted to know what that'd be like on the VVTi :cool: ) would probably be a good idea :)

Reading through this makes me want to swap out my T88-34D for something smaller and faster spooling. I'm only running 1.3bar just now, so something like a GTX3582 (always wanted to know what that'd be like on the VVTi :cool: ) would probably be a good idea :)

You should definitely send your car down to SRD and swap the turbo along with tidying your bay up.

A regular GT35R on my pre VVTi already had amazing spool. I can't remember the exact figure, I probably never looked, but full boost was certainly before 3500rpm.

I would imagine a GTX3582R + Log manifold + SMIC + VVTi would be pretty crazy :D

Won't be easy to change, your down pipe is 4 bolt for a start so that would need changing, also the T88 is a long turbo, if you fit something smaller the cold side will hit the first manifold runner I'm betting. You would be better off selling your kit and buying another.

Good information in this thread.

I was thinking of going the 67mm turbo route but now with everyones opinions on it, I will go 62.

Serious mate. With the latest turbo technology, a 67mm turbo is a good choice if you want 800-900 bhp.

If I was after 600-700 bhp, I would certainly go for a 62mm unit.