Single turbo reccomendations

Tsia

• Replies 158
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

On mine, spool starts at around 3k and full boost around 4k. I made 455bhp and 450ftlbs at the wheels, at 1.1bar.

It was on a hub dyno.

I don't have flywheel figures, but it's generally estimated that autos suffer around 20% transmission loss, and manuals around 15%

That would equate to circa 570 fwhp at 1.1bar - although that does sound high to me!

Does pull well though!

Cheers Jamie - although I don't think I'll be 'disappointed' with any of the turbos, so as long as it has a decent spool and makes the anticipated power levels, them I'm happy, really. :)

TBH you wouldn't disappointed with the Garrett GT3582R which is a fair bit cheaper than the GTX. The GT35R will make positive boost at just over 2K rpm and is good for around 550hp at 1.4-1.5bar, the spool up of the GTX is similar but it's said to flow around 10% more so can make higher peak power. This is my GT35R dyno graph, overlayed with a dyno when I was running the stock turbos (red line).

BorgWarner 60mm, same as TonyTT had. Full boost by 3100rpm and good for 600bhp.

Precision 6266 GEN2, Full boost by 3200rpm and good for 600bhp on pump fuel, and almost 700bhp on ethanol and cams.

Id vote Precision, but I just like them, all the turbos that have been recommended will be fine.

6266 gen2 will make a lot more than that, I stopped at 580 pump/670 E50 on stock engine as I ran out of fueling, people have made 800rwhp before.

Edited by JamieP (see edit history)

On mine, spool starts at around 3k and full boost around 4k. I made 455bhp and 450ftlbs at the wheels, at 1.1bar.

It was on a hub dyno.

I don't have flywheel figures, but it's generally estimated that autos suffer around 20% transmission loss, and manuals around 15%

That would equate to circa 570 fwhp at 1.1bar - although that does sound high to me!

Does pull well though!

Mark what trim is that for that turbo? s362 what ? 62,65 or 66 or is the turbo not rated that way , also what turbine housing you using ?

All this talk keeps me thinking of changing my PT6765 / .68 dbb

being auto want something with a faster spool but still its not bad I would say full boost by 4,500 rpm

You will certainly have more power, more torque and better response with a modern 62mm turbo mate.

You will certainly have more power, more torque and better response with a modern 62mm turbo mate.

what sort of gains though as mk4gaz has a s362 and is getting full boost at 4k of 1.1 bar and I get full boost of 1.3 by 4,500 there really doesnt seem much in it , Well not enough for me to warrent spending around 1.5k for 500 rpm

what sort of gains though as mk4gaz has a s362 and is getting full boost at 4k of 1.1 bar and I get full boost of 1.3 by 4,500 there really doesnt seem much in it , Well not enough for me to warrent spending around 1.5k for 500 rpm

I understand you ; those new Gen turbos aren't really cheap.

But check on Jamie's Goose.

http://www.mkivsupra.net/vbb/showthread.php?312136-JamieP-s-White-Goose-dyno-results

He has full boost between 3k and 3500 rpm .... that's more than 1000rpm earlier than your 6765 !

I had the same when I was running my old BW 9179 turbo ; the current 6766 is much more eager on boost as it's a more modern turbo.

At the end of the day, everybody has to decide for himself if the additional investment is in line with the gained spool and power.

Having had an older tech T67 and the newer BL366 billet I can say the difference is shocking and a pleasant surprise. The T67 always struggled with spool, didn't get full boost till high in the 4K range. Moving to the billet brought that way down into the high 3k range. With a cast manifold or twin scroll could prob bring that down even lower, so I'm looking forward to seeing what my new one does.

Id be suggesting the S362 or S366 as others have said.

The best thing to do which is something I wished I had done to start is take people up on an offer to take you out for a spin so you can experience different turbo setups, find something you like and model your setup on theirs.

Well the next question is going to be the manifold - anybody have a recommendation for a log manifold? I've got to admit, the Japspeed tubular actually looks brilliant at the minute, it's all braced etc. to prevent cracking - it's just the price that worries me.

Tubular, HKS are proven to be among the best, and the very rare RPS are supposed to sound the best. But i would go with a Whifbitz one, because they are well made, and have a lifetime anti cracking guarantee.

For Log ones, the arnout one is held in high esteem, and PHR do one too. One of the Japanese firms (Greddy?) used to do an adapter to fit a t4 flange to the stock TT manifolds.

Edited by j_jza80 (see edit history)

Well the next question is going to be the manifold - anybody have a recommendation for a log manifold? I've got to admit, the Japspeed tubular actually looks brilliant at the minute, it's all braced etc. to prevent cracking - it's just the price that worries me.

Brilliant? It's obvious either the designer never listened in geometry about vector angles, or someone had some spare 10mm rod and decided to use it up, willy nilly, on the manifolds. That bracing is neither use nor ornament.