The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Beware, cat c supra. reg: B16RCY

Gretie22

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

8k! For a cat C car that's been stood for 6 years that's had a cheap blow over in 'matt' colour. Wouldn't touch it unless it was going for a three figure sum.

That's what I thought. :D He said he had a Canadian buyer that offered him $25,000 CAD... Told him good luck with that.

he states he added the blue pipes himself have a look at the mess he has made the Intercooler pipe is kinked shut almost...

"I've added blue pipes also fitted brand new battery needs new break pads"

Oh dear what a tool, and he called me a 'daft c**t' well actually a 'draft c**t' but I knew what he ment :p

I'd be gutted for the person who bought it personally. Nothing worse than someone buying a new car and having to turn round and tell them their new pride and joy is actually a shed :(

I dont mean i will take joy in it.

Just everyone now knows its a total heap. Someone will point out in a heart beat its a total shed and send them this way. People wont be shy about telling them.

A friend of mine was offered a 'rare green Supra' as a swap for his car, turned out it was a resprayed car that, when checked out, was Cat C'd. The seller revealed this fact when quizzed. Beware people, they are out there. Spend 3 quid on Mycarchecker just to be sure.

Maybe worth putting his license plate in the thread title so then if any forum member is looking at buying this car they can see some of the great information you have pulled together.

I would if I knew how to change the title, anyone know how to do it?

I still think it shouldn't matter that much as long as the Cat C damage isn't visible anymore and has been repaired by a reputable shop. I think the car's not worth £8k... But if it's in all around good condition it might be worth a look anyway.

VIC checks are carried out on Cat C vehicles, this is to check that they have been repaired to a satisfactory and safe standard in order to be classed as road worthy once more. Log books are usually re-issued once the car has been through and passed the VIC.

The fact that this chap has it untaxed and not MOT'd might be down to the fact that he has not had the VIC check carried out. I don't think it would be over presumptuous to assume that the seller had no intentions of mentioning the damage or the Cat C rating on the car, which would have been at the peril of the unfortunate purchaser. I would certainly steer clear of this myself, although someone might want to buy this on the cheap and have the VIC carried out.

I am in the position where I have been collecting parts together in order to bring a Cat C vehicle back to life, and shall be having an approved body-shop repair and VIC the car in order to get her back on the road and taxed.

I still think it shouldn't matter that much as long as the Cat C damage isn't visible anymore and has been repaired by a reputable shop. I think the car's not worth £8k... But if it's in all around good condition it might be worth a look anyway.

Agreed, Cat C shouldn't put anyone off. I have seen tonnes and tonnes of cars which are non recorded and have had terrible damage and brought back to life with very minor evidence of it being in any accident. I have also seen tonnes of Cat C cars which have had very minor damage.

An FTO I owned quite a few years ago was deemed a Cat C after a taxi driver drove into it pulling out of a side road. The damage was one headlight, wing and bonnet. It was fairly low speed and the damage light enough for me to drive home afterwards (both headlights still worked). It was written off purely due to cost of repair.

VIC checks are carried out on Cat C vehicles, this is to check that they have been repaired to a satisfactory and safe standard in order to be classed as road worthy once more. Log books are usually re-issued once the car has been through and passed the VIC.

The fact that this chap has it untaxed and not MOT'd might be down to the fact that he has not had the VIC check carried out. I don't think it would be over presumptuous to assume that the seller had no intentions of mentioning the damage or the Cat C rating on the car, which would have been at the peril of the unfortunate purchaser. I would certainly steer clear of this myself, although someone might want to buy this on the cheap and have the VIC carried out.

I am in the position where I have been collecting parts together in order to bring a Cat C vehicle back to life, and shall be having an approved body-shop repair and VIC the car in order to get her back on the road and taxed.

That is not quite the case.

A VIC check is just that. It is a check of the vehicle's identity at cat C at least, the damage isn't even looked at, my VOSA vic check took about 30 seconds and not the 20 minutes suggested here: https://www.gov.uk/vehicle-identity-check/taking-your-car-for-a-vic-test

The only check that was made was the Vin plate and the Engine no.

• 1 year later...
Guest Schermerhorn

I am the new owner of this car. Quite a few untrue things have been said on this thread unfortunately which is quite upsetting.

I can assure you the car was rebuilt to an excellent standard and was VIC inspected before the DVLA issued the log book.

The car is for sale due to very personal circumstances but any inspection of the car is welcome as is any test drive.