The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Glanza_Mike's Clean White VVTI Supra Project!

Glanza_Mike

Good to see you got the maf issue sorted, and its a damm tidy job too :thumbs:

I had no choice but to use mine on stock ecu, i had a nurburgring trip booked and it was risk twins failing or just fit the kit and drive

Needless to say, trip to the ring, 4 laps, and then a further 3 months of use before i finished mine and that was running it a the old bpu boost pressure of 1.2 bar so youll be fine on stock ecu for a while :thumbs:

• Replies 283
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Nice info you give us :)

How about the wiring when you go with an other ecu ? Do you reuse the stock wiring or do you need to do a complet new one ?

(I m noob I know)

same wiring mate, just swap out the ecu :)

How much did you pay for the lights? And where do you order them from? Car looks great, that single turbo is piff.

haha thanks :) I got a great deal from a member on here on the lights. Paid £550 delivered for them which i was really happy with as i think they are something like £640 new now.

Good to see you got the maf issue sorted, and its a damm tidy job too :thumbs:

I had no choice but to use mine on stock ecu, i had a nurburgring trip booked and it was risk twins failing or just fit the kit and drive

Needless to say, trip to the ring, 4 laps, and then a further 3 months of use before i finished mine and that was running it a the old bpu boost pressure of 1.2 bar so youll be fine on stock ecu for a while :thumbs:

thanks mate :) i'm happy with how it turned out too, looks great and you get so much more room in the engine bay, Supras should have been like this from the factory lol

And yeah i'm certain the fuelling will be fine, as you say you ran more boost than me and tracked it, and my AFR's are rich which is overly safe if anything :)

Perfect kit IMO for an auto, looks great mate :thumbs:

Should be very quick spooling with the cast manifold. I remember Lui having the PHR street kit fitted and he loved it.

if its the same lui with the baby blue supra his sounded like a jet fighter when he was on full boost

That looks great Mike.

Nice job! You will be fine with stock ecu. My supra is at the moment in garage for ecu and injectors to be fitted but I have done about 2000 miles on stock ecu and injectors with whifbitz single kit without any problems.

Thanks guys :)

Looks good :thumbs: I spotted you last year on the Highfield Rd roundabout I was in my van though.

Funny enough mate i was at Dyno Torque a few weeks ago when you came in to drop of your 280 for welding.

I'd never seen you before so obviously didn't know it was you at the time, Craig told me after you left lol

Nice project you have there.

Great update mate and looks epic in the flesh. You've done a very professional job.

Look forward to spring and getting this beauty out for a play :)

yeah mate, we need to get some updated pictures too :D

Same kit as I have planned to get:-) looks great!

What parts did you need to supply? just want to be ahead of the kit;-)

Phil

thanks Phil, you'll need about 4 x 8mm high temperature end caps and some small jubilee clips, to block off unused water lines.

half a metre of 16mm coolant hose, can get 1 metre from halfords for £4

And i need somewhere to mount my maf but that's only if you're vvti and staying stock ecu for a little while.

Oh and a UK spec 1st decat pipe.

Nice to see another single turbo coming into the fray, i'm sure once you get a full standalone on there to unleash it's potential you will have an awesome fair weather car, single turbo is such a great experience.

Yeah I can't wait mate, unfortunately it's going to be quite a while until I can see myself affording it and mapping. Got lots of grown up things that I need to pay for first :(

Video evidence please :eyebrows:

Haha, I'll see what I can do.

Thats just fantastic mate! Thanks for the golden information[emoji1303] hope it will look as good as yours when I finish:-)

You're welcome.

Bit off topic Mike :p

Did anybody try the SP Torque Monster Turbo kit

http://www.spracingonline.com/store/_SP_Racing_Torque_Monster_Turbo_Kit_93-98_MKIV_Supra/3256

Basically the same sort of set-up just with a quick spool valve incorporated into the design.

From personal experience on a cast manifold set-up I don't think its needed. Especially when you will be only running a smallish turbo as your limited with the flow and wastegate size.

Was more interested in quality and fitment , comprehension of the kit versus PHR , I would not bother with the QSV etc added complication

I think they all use the same arnout cast manifold , what i like with the SP kit, is you can purchase it minus a Turbo

I think between these two kits they are the cheapest option to go single , OEM setup on mine is 24 years old ;) I think it is a better, safer bet than going hybrid or rebuilt tubbies

• 1 month later...

Update time!

So I've been trying to get the engine bay looking a little smarter over the last few weeks in time for Japfest this weekend, i had my bonnet closed all day last year as everyone had their shiny single turbo set-ups out and i wanted to make sure i felt proud of it this year. I also had an idle issue which i thought could potentially be a vacuum leak so removing the bits that i did helped me to check all the lines and make sure they were all in good condition, which thankfully, they were. The problem turned out to be my air filter being too close to the rad fan which was causing the MAF to get some inconsistent readings and mess up the fueling.

Right then! So I started by removing the plugs, coilpacks, leads and cam covers, i had new coil pack clips and lead clips to fit along with new cam breather hoses as all of that had gone hard and brittle and either cracked or wasn't pleased to remove. Whilst the camcovers were off i sanded them down, cleaned them up and sprayed them with VHT wrinkle black which i'm really happy with:

Before:

After:

As you can hopefully see from this pic when i re-fitted everything i used new stainless allen head bolts instead of the stock ones, looks a little nicer and won't corrode. I've actually replaced nearly all visible bolts in the engine bay now and it's made a really nice difference. I also fit new cam cover gaskets from Toyota whilst they were off.

Another small but nice change i made was i bought a modified water neck that had the 2 water nippled cut off, blanked, welded and smoothed, so that got the wrinkle black treatment too:

This is shortly after painting, it goes on smooth and gradually gets the wrinkle finish over about 24-48 hours. This also allowed me to flush the radiator and put some new coolant in.

At this point the idle problem was quite bad so i decided to strip down the inlet side and check for any leaks or problems, whilst also allowing me to paint that too:

Before:

During:

I found a few things that i thought could have caused it like the cam position sensor connector was covered in oil from my recent cam gasket leak and the throttle body had quite a bit of charcoal build up on it so i cleaned both:

Before:

After:

Not much else i could do other than check all the vacuum hoses and hope for the best, so i was onto the painting portion of things.

So everything was cleaned, scotch-brited or sanded, cleaned again with alcohol and them masked for painting.

And then just re-assembled, used new gaskets for both the inlet and the runners and everything was thoroughly cleaned before assembly, including the bits that don't really do a lot like:

Going back in with the new gaskets:

Done:

As a few of you may have seen i pulled the ETCS-i label off as i never liked it, i saw Supra_ufo last year put a zun sport badge in there and i thought it looked cool so i copied him.

Put it all back together and still had the idle problem unfortunately, i did eventually find out it was the filter though so i bought a piece of 4" silicone to extend the intake and sort the problem.

Whilst that was on the way i also bought a few more stainless nuts and bolts for the engine bay, a TRD oil cap and Whifbitz billet rad supports:

A bit more painting:

New wipers:

I only replaced my wipers last year with standard Halfords ones but BOTH had split in 12 months!! couldn't believe it, so this time i googled what were the best wipers and apparently it's these and so far they have been mint to be fair. And it says on the pack they last a lifetime but time will tell lol

Lastly i need to say a MASSIVE thank you to Mike (Delboy on here) for getting some SRD engine boxes out to me last minute that he hadn't used. I put a wanted thread up only a few days ago and he replied and send them out to me on next day delivery to make sure i got them for Japfest so a big thank you to you Mike, top bloke.

As for the engine boxes themselves i wasn't that impressed with them to be honest. Neither of them fit properly, so i had to cut both to fit, all the edges were very sharp and hadn't been de-burred properly so i had to sort that out too. Also because the corners and edges are so sharp it's incredibly easy to scratch the engine bay paintwork so i'll be putting some foam on the areas it come into contact with the body to make sure it doesn't. It's a lot of money for some bits of aluminium that's been cut to shape and welded for them not to be perfect in my opinion. Luckily i didn't pay full price.

Test fit:

After some cutting:

Still did more tidying up on them after this but got them to fit after 4 or 5 cuts in total.

And now they've been sanded down and painted but still drying and waiting for the wrinkle, they will be ready and fitted for Japfest though!

Just need to fit them and then give the car a good old spring clean and we're good to go! Looking forward to seeing everyone again, hopefully we can take home best stand 2 years in a row.

Removing the battery and fuse box you'd have a showcar engine bay mate, looks great, well done.

Thanks mate, 2 things that i'd like to get around too but who knows if i will haha Fusebox seems like a pretty time consuming job.

Awesome update mate alot of work gone into this im at japfest on sunday so looking forward to having a look :)

Thanks Shawn, yeah it's taken up a lot of my time recently, a lot of my money too lol