The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Mini Movie Review

Scott

Watched Whiplash for the first time today, and I can see the hype. What a brilliant, tense film.

Its like a war film, with every band scene an engagement, and JK Simmons character like R Lee Ermys drill instructor. But the ending, summed up in one expression, quality. Ill be watching it again and again

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Got round to watching Jurassic World tonight.

Kind of glad I didn't go to the cinema now, pretty enjoyable and good in parts (the obvious Aliens homage was great) but overall a little underwhelmed.

Maybe I expected to feel like that kid again watching the first one in the cinema all them years ago.

• 2 weeks later...

The Wife and I must be in the minority as we absolutely loved it. We didn't go in with any expectations though. The initial scenery was breathtaking and continued throughout.

Watched The Last Witch Hunter last night. I wouldn't bother wasting much time on it to be honest. It's VERY much a fast food flick. It's all been done before and there's nothing special in it at all. I can't really think of a positive for this film at all. It's not by any means terrible, it's just been done to death.

The Wife and I must be in the minority as we absolutely loved it. We didn't go in with any expectations though. The initial scenery was breathtaking and continued throughout.

Watched The Last Witch Hunter last night. I wouldn't bother wasting much time on it to be honest. It's VERY much a fast food flick. It's all been done before and there's nothing special in it at all. I can't really think of a positive for this film at all. It's not by any means terrible, it's just been done to death.

Been intrigued by that, I'll probably give it a miss now.

Keep thinking that Diesel is ready for something bigger, a new franchise. Riddick seems to have stalled which is a shame.

Went to watch Bond on Friday at the cinema with some mates. Now I am quite a fan of Daniel Craig as he suits the role pretty well and is not too shabby an actor.

I nearly fell asleep in the cinema. Now I did have a long week and Friday was pretty hectic, but the film was extra long & had loads of flat spots. Hardly any humour, not much action & hardly any gadgets nor a decent car scene!

Watched the Poltergeist remake last night. Thought it was really poor. Didn't bring anything to the party that the original didn't, the acting was absolutely horrendous and the scripting seemed written by a child. Don't even waste your time with this one...... stick with the original.

Watched the Poltergeist remake last night. Thought it was really poor. Didn't bring anything to the party that the original didn't, the acting was absolutely horrendous and the scripting seemed written by a child. Don't even waste your time with this one...... stick with the original.

I watched this the other night & thought the same! This one was like a joke in comparison! Too many bad jokes & like you said the acting was terrible!

Went to watch Bond on Friday at the cinema with some mates. Now I am quite a fan of Daniel Craig as he suits the role pretty well and is not too shabby an actor.

I nearly fell asleep in the cinema. Now I did have a long week and Friday was pretty hectic, but the film was extra long & had loads of flat spots. Hardly any humour, not much action & hardly any gadgets nor a decent car scene!

Thank god I wasn't the only one. Thought it was the worst one yet. First film that me and my partner fall asleep in and then left halfway through. Thoroughly disappointing.

Watched John Wick again. Perfect role for KR. Really liked it. better still a couple of stonkin muscle cars.

Also Everest - bit odd, not massively sensationalised or over done action scenes, kinda all wound down and that was that, which I suppose was true to the real event. Jake Gs role is just odd

• 2 weeks later...

Watched the Martian. What a brilliant movie this is, it completely flew under the radar for me. Brilliant performances all round, Matt Damon was exceptional though. Thoroughly enjoyed this movie and would recommend it to anyone. Easy 8.5/10 for me.

Watched the Martian. What a brilliant movie this is, it completely flew under the radar for me. Brilliant performances all round, Matt Damon was exceptional though. Thoroughly enjoyed this movie and would recommend it to anyone. Easy 8.5/10 for me.

Thought that'd be one you'd enjoy.

I watched Monsters: Dark Continent the other night.

Sequel to the first Monsters film which was in my opinion brilliant, totally refreshing take on the aliens idea.

This one was pretty poor though, few too many clichés and carbon copy characters and was trying a bit too hard to make a point about the middle east.

Some good scenery & effects though.

And me! :thumbs: We saw in the cinema a couple of months back and was pleasantly surprised at the humour and the upbeat nature of the film, especially as it could've been unremittingly depressing, given his situation. Great film.

I thought that was actually quite ingenious. There is literally only one reason he got through all that and only one reason anyone could potentially get through that..... by staying positive and taking things one step at a time. Very clever and absolutely spot on.

It's a pretty far fetched movie but it doesn't stretch the imagination with regards to the human behaviour. I thought the only PROPER cliché character in the film was Daniels.

Batman Begins tonight. The Martian was so good I couldn't risk watching an unknown to slam me back to earth so I went with a known good flick. Excellent reboot of the batman series. I would argue that this particular vintage is the best but the 1989 Batman with Michael Keaton was rather special (Returns was OK, after that was complete borlicks... they all want shot).

With that in mind.... I want big things from Batman Vs Superman and I also want to see a cameo from Bale that focuses on Ben Affleck not being batman (I have a hunch, cross your fingers).

• 3 weeks later...
I finished the last one last night as well :D

Was the re-master though so they had Hayden Christensen's (sp) spirit or whatever at the end instead of the original. Just leave it ffs!

Tickets booked for Friday :D

I have also watched all 6 this last week. When watching the edited original 3 films, I can't help but feel that Lucas fiddled with them for the sake of it. Very few of the added buts really add anything to the films.

I've also read some scathing reviews of the prequel trilogy this week, that I don't think are particularly fair. Yes, there was some terrible mistakes in them (Jar Jar Binks), but there were also some extremely good bits, such as the lightsaber battles, and Ian Mcdiarmids portrayal of Palatine/Sidious was nothing short of brilliant.

I'm booked in for tomorrow night, can't wait :D

I would've loved to see Darth Maul for at least another movie, I was genuinely about 11-12 when the first one came out and I thought he was badass at the time.

They had Daisy Ridley on Radio 1 this morning to promote the film which worried me. Pretty much every time the BBC brings an actor/actress onto Radio 1 to promote a film it's a massive disappointment. Hoping that they've broken tradition with this one!