The mkiv Supra Owners Club

James' 1997 RZ VVTi T88-34D Single Turbo - Respray and new CCWs [pg 32]

James

• 4 weeks later...

Well, the car has been nothing but a dream so far! Still my daily driver. Even been washing it in the (slight) snow to keep everything tip-top :)

https://scontent-a-ams.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ash3/1453258_525979384333_75887809_n.jpg

However, there is now a bit of a boost problem. It seems really restricted up towards top end. I was coming back from a friend's place on the dual carriageway and as I passed someone I noticed that the boost was refusing to go above 0.9bar and the revs were struggling to pass 6k rpm.

I haven't had a chance to diagnose it as yet as I'm currently offshore.

Any ideas what it may be? I didn't really notice anything else as being off with it? I instantly thought that it'd be either a split hose or maybe the boost controller (GReddy Profec B) acting up? It drives absolutely spot on off boost. :search:

However, there is now a bit of a boost problem. It seems really restricted up towards top end. I was coming back from a friend's place on the dual carriageway and as I passed someone I noticed that the boost was refusing to go above 0.9bar and the revs were struggling to pass 6k rpm.

I haven't had a chance to diagnose it as yet as I'm currently offshore.

Any ideas what it may be? I didn't really notice anything else as being off with it? I instantly thought that it'd be either a split hose or maybe the boost controller (GReddy Profec B) acting up? It drives absolutely spot on off boost. :search:

My guess is on the plugs or the ignition coils. I had a similar issue on my (single) .. and the coils needed to be changed. It stuggled to go beyond 6k.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

My new plugs have arrived courtesy of Whifbitz (NGK Iridium BKR8EIX) so I'll get them put in over the weekend and hope that the weather is a little nicer so that I can test it higher up the revs to see if I still have the same problem. :) If so then I'll look for coilpacks.

I am also now looking at harnesses. I can put them through the Recaro SPG seat - though I'll need to see how to mount them. My driver side seatbelt isn't retracting properly some of the time so I'll need to change it anyway so the harnesses come to mind as I had thoughts about them before anyway :)

My new plugs have arrived courtesy of Whifbitz (NGK Iridium BKR8EIX) so I'll get them put in over the weekend and hope that the weather is a little nicer so that I can test it higher up the revs to see if I still have the same problem. :) If so then I'll look for coilpacks.

I am also now looking at harnesses. I can put them through the Recaro SPG seat - though I'll need to see how to mount them. My driver side seatbelt isn't retracting properly some of the time so I'll need to change it anyway so the harnesses come to mind as I had thoughts about them before anyway :)

I can supply Cobra and Luke harnesses if needed mate.

To quote the Italian Job, "Pretty Car". :) Only thing I don't like is the way someone's messed with those rear arches. :( Shame as it's in such good condition otherwise.

The arches were flared for the Classics to fit buddy! They were scrubbing otherwise! :) I quite like the flare on them!

I'm starting to think about Nur arches though. Maybe eventually haha! ;)

- - - Updated - - -

James I have spare Coipacks for vvti that you can try out, I am offshore but will be passing by Aberdeen again on the 18th of Feb, shame I could of brought them with me on this last trip. Keep that in mind and hit me up if you like.

PM me a price for them Luiz, may be worth going for them to be safe regardless if you won't be using them :)

The arches were flared for the Classics to fit buddy! They were scrubbing otherwise! :) I quite like the flare on them!

I'm starting to think about Nur arches though. Maybe eventually haha! ;)

- - - Updated - - -

PM me a price for them Luiz, may be worth going for them to be safe regardless if you won't be using them :)

I should be home on the 3rd of Feb, once I am home I will valuate the condition and pop you a pm buddy.

I should be home on the 3rd of Feb, once I am home I will valuate the condition and pop you a pm buddy.

Perfect! That sounds great to me :)

If I need them and get them fitted and it fixes the issue, then I can take you for a run in the car and see what you think haha ;)

• 2 weeks later...

So the car hasn't really been doing very much while I'm out of action with a broken ankle. The only issue is that with more time on my hands I am getting caught up looking at parts :)

I need to refurb my Recaro SPG a little as there is some wear on that. I thought that I may look into an aluminium Do-Luck tensioner set at the same time and also some green Takata harnesses. Further to this for the interior, an AEM AFR gauge will likely replace my redundant Blitz 60mm vent boost gauge. I also fancy changing the steering wheel. Something concave like the Nardi 'Deep Corn 350mm' should do the trick. :)

I was interested in Dean (tooquicktostop)'s Syvecs S6 as well, but as the car has sold I won't be going for one just yet. When I do I'll change my cams (likely SRD 264s), injectors (ASNU 1100cc) and maybe look at the SRD GReddy type intake plenum as well. I'll have to get the fuel system checked at the same time to make sure it is fit for service if (when ;) ) I go down that road.

The other thing I've been looking at just now is the NUR arches. I love the stance of the car just now, but I can't help but think that those bigger rears would finish it off lovely. I've spoken to CCW already and I can widen the Classics to 18x13 ET31 with a 4" lip to suit :D I'd then either look at Ridox or NUR front wings as well. The front CCWs would become 18x11 ET37 in that case. :)

A lot of thinking to happen in the next wee while :)

18x13 :cool: you may stop looking at all that stuff and sort out a trade account with Camskill! :D

:D

I've done the maths around it and if I widen the fronts by 1" to 18x11 then I can put a 305/30 on. This only increases diameter by 12.2mm so I'll have a wee touch more ground clearance and the same amount more arch 'tuck'.

Similarly for the rears going to a 335/30 will give the same increase in diameter over my current 315 :)