Flys NA-T - Getting there.

Fly

• Replies 244
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Hey noz yea she turns freely, I think it is the low idle that does it , also maybe the viscosity of the oil.

Little update from today, decided to crack on with a headlight refurb as the chrome rings were falling apart and the lenses were a little cloudy.

Firstly I will say I read the guide on here first......DO NOT put your headlights in a 200 degree oven. I used a fan assisted preheated oven at 160 and put the lights in for 4 minutes checking after 2. The sealant was very soft by tha point.

image as you can see thchrome is flaky and there is loose plastic or bits behind the lense.

image lense polished with meguiars plastic polish and rotary polisher.

image inserts painted

image the dog helping

image headlight complete

image and back in the car looking so much better

On another note I noticed that my fuel gauge is not reading, it's sat below empty with no light on. As I have recently changed the pmp I thought this might be the sender so swapped my old sender in and the same result. Any ideas what could be wrong?

Thanks for looking

Started installing my 7m 440 jets today so whilst I had to take the inlet off I decided to smarten up the cam covers and plastic cover. Then I got carried away and painted the whole intake assembly, I am now tempted to paint the intercooler pipes to match. What do you think??

Btw intake is just sat back on as I am still wiring hence the mess

Black IC pipes would look nice mate! You can get black anodized ones off flebay if you can't be bothered painting yours.

Also slight :hijack: how close is your silicone hose to the manifold on the compressor side? I'm abit worried mine will melt!!

image.jpg

Black IC pipes would look nice mate! You can get black anodized ones off flebay if you can't be bothered painting yours.

Also slight :hijack: how close is your silicone hose to the manifold on the compressor side? I'm abit worried mine will melt!!

[ATTACH=CONFIG]168963[/ATTACH]

mines just fine with the heatwrap on the exhaust runners

- - - Updated - - -

looking good mate, wont be long :)

Thanks guys. Well I haven't wrapped my manifold and the silicone hose is about 1mm away, it's all very tight. If it melts then I might have to wrapp it. Just been soldering away on my injectors. Fingers crossed its all correct. Will refit the intake tomorrow and fire here up. See what happens :))

Thanks guys. Well I haven't wrapped my manifold and the silicone hose is about 1mm away, it's all very tight. If it melts then I might have to wrapp it. Just been soldering away on my injectors. Fingers crossed its all correct. Will refit the intake tomorrow and fire here up. See what happens :))

Good luck mate :thumbs:

I can't wait to start rebuilding mine back up again and get the engine back in. Lots of painting and cleaning to do first though :D

Gentlemen .....we are complete. Well today I finished off soldering my resistors in for my 7mgte 440s. I as all the resistors on top of the plastic loom surround coming from the injectors, I did is to hide all the wiring under e name assembly but then realised this is a naff idea should I want to go ffim. I cut down the 45 degree off the turbo as it was too big an kinking quite badly. So after refitting the intake and bolting and reattaching nearly every hose I opened up e emu and set the injectors up with a lag time of 0.57 ms as this was the best information I have at the time....I welcome any spears or updates on that figure. So I fired her up only to see steam billowing from under the bonnet.....don't worry I just failed to reconnect the coolant pipe at the left lower side of the throttle body as you look at it straight on....silly me....

So I fixed that and fired her up all is fine, purs like a dream no error codes and at idle wb02 is saying 12-13 which isn't bad

The only point / question I have left is when. Rev her slightly when the revs back off a m/s later you hear what sounds like the turbo blades catching up...I don't know how else to describe this sound. Like the turbo blades are slipping inside the housing. This still probably doesn't make sense and might just be because nothing is really set up properly yet.

Right a few final pics not much has changed, I decided not to paint my intercooler pipes black just yet, I might do that when I add the ffim/ itbs haven't decided yet :))

Anyway I must say a huge Thankyou to everyone who has posted/ contacted me with information and help, I really do appreciate it and intend to buy any beers that are due when I catch you at meets later this year.

Right then contacting the mapper tomorrow so worst case three weeks time and I should have a bhp figure to report.

Last pictures, nothing exciting

Your using the xs power wastegate!? I blanked the top hole and use the two ports on th sides . For the bov you hav to take it from behind the throttle body, the fpr vacume source has an identical offtake at the back towards the fire wall. I used the fpr source for m boost controller, the opposite source for the bov and turbo gauge. Wastegate is plummedsimilar to that just with different holes, I copied the nat build from club na-t.com

Right video from one of my starts you will see the turbo does not spin at idle. Not overly worried about this. But can anyone identify the flutter noise that happens just after I come off the throttle???

Thanks

• 2 weeks later...

ok guys ,just an update as i havent posted in this thread for a while. I was tackling this for a while http://www.mkivsupra.net/vbb/showthread.php?290407-Turbo-flutter-!-NA-t

Long story short the turbo / exhaust was making a fluttering noise like the blades catching having stripped everything back i though it was the compressor housing with the blades but after changing the blades for a new set it was the same. So i basically rebuild and went from there just accepting the noise. Another annoyance was the turbo not spinning which we thought might be a pants turbo or the blades catching and hence the noise but the noise happend when the turbo wasnt spinning. I basically changed the oil and increase the idle rpm which has cured this issue!!! the flutter remains. So today with a mapping session looming on thursday i decided to bring her our of the garage wash and polish and go out for a spin.

i wanted to make sure i could drive over to Nottingham and not leak or overheat so i kept the speed about 50-60 max and wached my afrs i was cruising at about 13-14 and accelerating it was 10-11 i could hear the turbo kicking in and building boost at 2.5k rpm and i never went over 3k rpm as i didnt want to without a propper tune. I was very happy.

some pics of the outing:-

so returning home with a big smile on my face i decided to go out with the missus. as soon as i fired her up i knew something was wrong it sounded off i then thought it was the wb o2 warmig up and not sending a signal to the ecu via the narrow band so i set off and found the car really hesitant to accelerate and juddery, temps were all good but i went to the next juntion and turned around. Even at idle you can here what i think is a missfire.

I have check the dissy and plus for loose connections.

Would a sticky or u/s injector cause this? or should i remove and check all my plugs?

I might also try turning her over with the plugs off just to check the spark.

Any other suggestions are welcome!!

I'm no mechanic but I'd guess if it's an ignition problem then the usual point of call being check the spark plugs (correct grade/no cracks/good condition/torqued correctly/gapped correctly), check there is no water around the spark plug wells (common if you have pressure washed the engine bay), check the distributor cap (any moisture inside), check the rotor arm and then you are onto either the HT leads, coil or igniter. Failing any of those then possibly something regards the management/ignition harness? You could always remove one HT lead at a time in turn to see if the misfire is on one cylinder in particular.

Or a fuel issue as you say.

Edited by Rich.2211 (see edit history)