The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Flys NA-T - Getting there.

Fly

Well I just came to update this after a while and just laughed my ass off at my own post. So there was me thinking that three days to get all the above done was possible, in reality I just got the gearbox off, what a pita that was. My advice Is have a friend, just one.

Anyway so far I've fitted my competition clutch (stage four six puck) and lightweigh flywheel. Thanks to whifbitz yet again for sorting me out with bolts for the flywheel. I'm really glad I have a new location to work in as the gearbox removal would have been a nightmare In my tiny garage!!

So today and most of Sunday was spent drilling the hell out of two rounded head bolts, the front one was easy and came off in two minutes but the rear right one was a pain to get in there. However eventually with a lot of swearing it came out and the head is now off. So it's just a case of cleaning it all down (compressed air, fuel and a toothbrush I think) and ensuring that all that swarf is cleaned out before refitting with the new tt headgasket and ARP head studs and bolts. Oh yea then there's just the case of trying to remember where all the bolts and nuts go :( (don't worry they are all in order)

But at least now it's only going to get better as everything goes back together and hopefully it won't take too long though I don't think I'm going to make the na-t dyno day with the supra at the minute.ile still be there though.

So other updates include a random purchase of a set of ebay special lightweight pulleys, they include a solid crank pulley but having read an old post by Chris Wilson on crank failure from lack of a dampner built in I don't think ile fit that one. Oh and they only cost me 36 coins, even if they are junk I can't complain.

A pic showing the difference between lightweight and dual mass fly.

Clutch fitted.

Head off, excuse the wiring they don't usually live in a mess.

Hubcentric 20mm spacers test fitted

Before spacers

So that's it for now other than to say my hands hurt and she's not finished yet.

• Replies 244
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• 3 weeks later...

Right, cylinder head cleaned down and rebuilt ready to be refitted to the car.

That's it now it's onwards and upwards I can't take anything more out so it's all going back in.

I'm fitting arp head studs and bolts plus the tt head gasket.

Some pics from today, I went a little mad with my little diy powdercoating machine, it's not perfect but it's getting there, they rant the best pics they just look blue when I fact the colour is cobalt which is almost a petrol like reflection to it.

Fingers crossed another few days of work some minor tweaks and she will be ready for mot and dyno time

Expect more pics over the next few days as I rebuild her

Edited by Fly (see edit history)

It's just a baby powdercoating machine, google electrostaticmagic.co.uk they do kits and powders. You will need a low power compressor just 1 bar and a suitable heat source for curing it, the part needs to reach 180 degrees for 15 mins to cure. I use a conventional oven I got on gumtree. Mixed results so far but I can say the car is entirely my own work so far.

So two days off so far and mostly back together, so all that's left to do now is finish fitting the hot side oil drain and feed, once I've clocked the turbo. Fit spark plugs and intake top back on, intercooler pipes, new fluids all round (thanks to opie oils)

Oh and then oil temp gauge and water meth fitting.

Hopefully I should get most of the remaining jobs done tomorrow.

Some pics as we all like pics.

I also fitted my lightweight pulleys all except the alternator pulley which I could not get off for love nor money, I tried the ring spanner and wrench on the little nut but still could not get it to move so I'm going to wait and maybe use the starter to crack it off.

Also I wrapped the turbo in bubble wrap but it was uber tight and still managed to catch the edge causing a little bit of damage to the powdercoating on the compressor, will egt that touched up later.

She's back together.

Just about anyway. Tried to tap in a boost refrence into one of the pipes with mixed results so I welded it in.

Still have to tap the intercooler pipe for the meth kit and install that but she's about ready for start once I get my new fluids from oilman, will get a vid up of first start. Well first start this year anyway :)