The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Will prices ever go up again?

Rob_Mitchell

I got an N/A Manual for £975. Perfect working order, 53,000 miles, and only needs a few things doing to it because it's veilside kitted.

Veilside is the kiss of death to any Supra, Keron's yard is knee deep in it.

It's amazing that anyone buys this tat, it's not a secret that it reduces a Supra's value by around the price paid for it.

Maybe Supra values would hold up better if all the Veilsided were rounded up and destroyed by fire. ;)

• Replies 156
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Veilside is the kiss of death to any Supra, Keron's yard is knee deep in it.

It's amazing that anyone buys this tat, it's not a secret that it reduces a Supra's value by around the price paid for it.

Maybe Supra values would hold up better if all the Veilsided were rounded up and destroyed by fire. ;)

x2

prices depends on lots of varients, car, condition, rarity etc etc...

for example (just picking these as an example of two cars) spiderjack and benkeis..

both facelift supras pretty much OEM and mint condition..

these cars are easy worth double figures and still will sell for that now infact am confident jacks car would sell very easy for 12-14k..

https://www.facebook.com/pages/JM-Imports/113721402065759?ref=hl#!/photo.php?fbid=313250358779528&set=a.143126495791916.24238.113721402065759&type=1&theater¬if_t=photo_comment

That's interesting

Do you get people requesting kitted cars ? Just wondering if kitted cars will hold value the same as OEM cars

IMO the problem with some kits they go out of fashion, like Veilside ... A lot of people hate them now but I remember over ten years ago people loved them

I hope Do-Luck wont go the same way lol

IMO the problem with some kits they go out of fashion, like Veilside ... A lot of people hate them now but I remember over ten years ago people loved them

I doubt they will, the good thing about kits like the Do-Luck is the kit isn't outrageous and compliments the body.

The Veilside was all over the shop on the Supra.

True I think that only stock cars will go up in value any single or big twins is going to loose money from what you put in but it's about the fun, I didn't buy my supra to make money I bought it to drive like I stole it with a massive grin on my face worth every penny my car deprecates :)

I'm not sure what my car owes me but ignoring insurance, tax and fuel

All the spare parts, wheels, body kit etc including buying the car is a max

of £30k.

If i divide buy over 12 years of ownership it's cost me £2500 a year if i were

to give it away.

If i get £5k for it its down to £2000 a year :)

That's pretty cheap fun in my opinion :)

Edited by Dnk (see edit history)

I'm not sure what my car owes me but ignoring insurance, tax and fuel

All the spare parts, wheels, body kit etc including buying the car is a max

of £30k.

If i divide buy over 12 years of ownership it's cost me £2500 a year if i were

to give it away

That's pretty cheap fun in my opinion :)

That is VERY cheap for a performance car.

For comparison my colleague who brought his BMW 335 last year for £19k is now worth £14k, his looking to sell and not so happy with how much it has lost.

As I said before, clean, low mileage, stock, 6 speed TTs will be the top cars. But more specifically, it's going to be between the UK specs and the late VVTi RZ with all the options.

A stock 2002 TRD3000GT 6 speed will be the top of the Supra tree I reckon. Even now (if such a car exists) it would be worth £30k+ in Japan, and demand for such a car would be fierce. (goes off to look for one...)

That's interesting

Do you get people requesting kitted cars ? Just wondering if kitted cars will hold value the same as OEM cars

Even now, kitted cars have a much lower value than an equivalent clean stock body car. The exceptions will be cars like Jamesys, as it's a Tuner show car. Genuine Veilside show cars will end up being valuable too IMO.

I honestly think liking a supra and buying my first one has made a massive positive difference to my car ownership experience. I could have lusted after many many other cars that on average would have given me far more hassle and bills and almost certainly far less thrills it's been pure chance that the cars engineering beneath the looks and performance is so sound. I think I've saved thousands in bills and depreciation just by liking the supra!

Over the years there has always been occasional deals out there on Supra's, cars for sale by often long term owners who expect/except the usual car depreciation of 1-2K a year, less so now than in the past as the number of long term owners have gradually decreased and a few select dealers now pick up these bargains.

I too think some nice clean auto tt's are good value at present, import ones are undesirable to many as, their stock performance isn't 'that' much more than lots of more modern machinery, there are still autophobs especially among the young buyers and for the power hungry they aren't strong enough........great drive and ownership proposition but just very very few buyers out there.

Overall I don't think anyone can moan at depreciation on a Supra, I expect it's better than most performance cars and will stay that way, let's face it NA's and most auto TT's have little further they can go down.........the TT6's are slightly more at risk simply because of their current high price of circa £9-12K for a good one.......yes the demand is there at present perhaps over time as other makes and models come down into this bracket they will be hit a little?

I honestly think liking a supra and buying my first one has made a massive positive difference to my car ownership experience. I could have lusted after many many other cars that on average would have given me far more hassle and bills and almost certainly far less thrills it's been pure chance that the cars engineering beneath the looks and performance is so sound. I think I've saved thousands in bills and depreciation just by liking the supra!

Over the years there has always been occasional deals out there on Supra's, cars for sale by often long term owners who expect/except the usual car depreciation of 1-2K a year, less so now than in the past as the number of long term owners have gradually decreased and a few select dealers now pick up these bargains.

I too think some nice clean auto tt's are good value at present, import ones are undesirable to many as, their stock performance isn't 'that' much more than lots of more modern machinery, there are still autophobs especially among the young buyers and for the power hungry they aren't strong enough........great drive and ownership proposition but just very very few buyers out there.

Overall I don't think anyone can moan at depreciation on a Supra, I expect it's better than most performance cars and will stay that way, let's face it NA's and most auto TT's have little further they can go down.........the TT6's are slightly more at risk simply because of their current high price of circa £9-12K for a good one.......yes the demand is there at present perhaps over time as other makes and models come down into this bracket they will be hit a little?

Good post, like you say if you was lusting after other sport cars you could have lost a load of money in depreciation & running costs. I get loads of friend telling me it must be costing me a fortune in running the car, when it is pleasant to say it actually doesn't cost much to run. Pound for pound I'd say it is one of the best cars on the market considering all aspects.

.........the TT6's are slightly more at risk simply because of their current high price of circa £9-12K for a good one.......yes the demand is there at present perhaps over time as other makes and models come down into this bracket they will be hit a little?

the manual TTs are safeguarded (to an extent) by the fact they have another £4ks worth of parts on them. Regardless of how Supras are viewed, the Getrag V160 is legendary and demand for these will always remain high.

Autos WILL go sub £3k IMO, but not much lower.

the manual TTs are safeguarded (to an extent) by the fact they have another £4ks worth of parts on them. Regardless of how Supras are viewed, the Getrag V160 is legendary and demand for these will always remain high.

Autos WILL go sub £3k IMO, but not much lower.

Oi what about the V161!!

Oi what about the V161!!

You know what I mean :D

For anyone looking for a Supra that will hold its value, this is the kind of car you should be looking for:

http://www.goo-net.com/usedcar/spread/goo/12/700040242120120608001.html

Keep it clean, well serviced and the mileage low, and these are the cars that will be worth some money one day :)

But, I'd be as tempted to just buy a cheap auto, keep it well serviced and just hoon it around until it dies. They're tough cars and will take a lot of abuse if cared for. @ £4k, who cares of its worth next to nothing in a few years time?

Edited by j_jza80 (see edit history)

^ that's a lovely car... A set of recaros and rear leathers would sort out those seats too!

I'm glad I bit the bullet and paid the extra for my car, although a lot of people think I'm mad for spending nigh on 13k on a 13year old nearly stock supra.

Defintley agree on the seats as those that are fitted in the pics are minging, the rest of the car is pristene though

What we need to do is have threads saying how good Supra's hold there money and there getting harder and harder to get a good example...

Then when your ready to sell, sell it top dollar then people won't have a choice to spend more on a Supra

I will start

A good clean TT6 will sell no less for 12k easy

What we need to do is have threads saying how good Supra's hold there money and there getting harder and harder to get a good example...

Then when your ready to sell, sell it top dollar then people won't have a choice to spend more on a Supra

I will start

A good clean TT6 will sell no less for 12k easy

I reckon a decent Tiptronic will only be about a grand less...!!

• 3 weeks later...

I'm currently trying to get a '51 import Auto smartened up for sale.

I have little Idea what they are going for now, but reading your thread here, I'd be hoping way more than 4k! Especially after I've finished tidying it up.

Does anyone know how much the later imports would look to go for?

I've scouted around but see few of them!