The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Will prices ever go up again?

Rob_Mitchell

USA prices are still decent, im sure i read that imports to america are only allowed 2000 miles a year? add to the fact our cars are RHD i cant see them banging our doors down.

Edit, this is for sale in america, it says limited to 2500 miles a year in the advert.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ebaymotors/1990-Nissan-Skyline-GT-R-Nismo-R32-Show-or-Display-Street-Legal-in-the-US-/221167425135?_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&forcev4exp=true&clk_rvr_id=432070454661#ht_9399wt_1165

Edited by JamieP (see edit history)

• Replies 156
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As an outsider looking in, so to speak, the Supra has fared remarkably well if you compare it to its sister cars, the Aristo and the Soarer. You can get a reasonable Soarer for what, 900 quid now? Thats outrageous. Still, a good, straight manual can command up to 5 grand.

And Aristos are plummeting in value too, a Mk2 about 18 months to 2 years ago would get 5-6k all day long, now, maybe 3/3.5k. Mk1's, who knows? Hardly any out there.

Maybe in the future when all the chaff has been scrapped so to speak, the wheat will gain in value? More than likely they'll just fizzle out.

I agree that in years to come, a tidy STOCK 6speed TT will be what fetches the highest premium. Especially if in a sought after colour.

If in 10 years I still have mine, I would probably go back to a complete stock body, respray in the original stock colour, and probably get more for it than if I left it modified.

As cars get rarer, the original examples will fetch more than the modified ones IMO.

Oh, and I've also never seen a "chav" in a supra. Although they are in their price range to buy, they can't afford to run them ;)

Plus, they prefer their focus st and Astra vxrs to big coupes imo

Maybe in the future when all the chaff has been scrapped so to speak, the wheat will gain in value? More than likely they'll just fizzle out.

Lets face it there's some real crap out there, a good example will always hold it's price even if the 'chaff' is still around.

Lets face it there's some real crap out there, a good example will always hold it's price even if the 'chaff' is still around.

I couldn't agree more Paul. The problem we have is the money available to new potential supra owners. They see a good example for 10k and a dog for 2k. They dont realise or notice the differences between the 2 cars so jump in for the 2k car. It happens time after time and becomes the going rate thus reducing the price.

I dont worry about the price drop at all and agree with Jamie. Buy it to enjoy and use it. when it comes to part it will sell for what it's worth at the time......not much we can do about it.

If everyone in the club refused to sell our cars for anything less than they were worth 2 things could happen. Either, the going rate would be driven up or, we would never be able to sell our cars and would be stuck with them forever :)

Americans go bat s**t crazy for JDM stuff, they would actually pay a premium for a JDM RHD car, if you can ever make it to a TX2K event, you'll see what I mean.

If that's the case I'm surprised they are not snapping up early cars now, could be a decent money maker there.

If that's the case I'm surprised they are not snapping up early cars now, could be a decent money maker there.

Gotta be 25 years old, so in 2018 you'll see quite a few exports to the states, but there was a couple of Canadian RHD Supra's there this year and the attention they got was quite surreal considering the other cars there.

As an outsider looking in, so to speak, the Supra has fared remarkably well if you compare it to its sister cars, the Aristo and the Soarer. You can get a reasonable Soarer for what, 900 quid now? Thats outrageous. Still, a good, straight manual can command up to 5 grand.

And Aristos are plummeting in value too, a Mk2 about 18 months to 2 years ago would get 5-6k all day long, now, maybe 3/3.5k. Mk1's, who knows? Hardly any out there.

Mk1 Aristos are almost down to £1k! A sub £1k Aristo would b the ultimate performance bargain, 190mph for under £2k in total!

Maybe it was Abz as I remember in a thread seeing a black one from pistonheads posted up but there was talk about clutches on them being changed around 10k miles for a pretty hefty price.

Yep, was me. Cost was around £7k to get a replacement clutch fitted and it didn't have many miles on it too!

we had this in another thread.

I bought mine for £40k, in 2009 they was £55k new, that's only £15k in 3 years, not that bad for a neŵ high performance car IMO, like most cars they have the big hit in the first few years.

Compare that to a 2009 Porsche 911 turbo, new £126,000, now 2009 911 turbos can be had for £60k, that's £66,000 in 3 years, shows how little the GTR has fallen in price.

Or how about a DBS, they have lost £100k in 3 years.

All that aside, i bought my car to use, i could not care less what its worth a few years down the line.

Deja Vu ;)

You guys should be lucky you didn't buy the cars Jamie mentioned above or an M3, M5, M6 recently!! Infact any BMW or Audi!

The car market has dropped massively in the UK for all cars but generally I don't think the Supra's are doing too bad, I can see them going up soon enough as more and more of them are crashed every year. If you look on Autotrader you will only see 14 adverts! Though only the stock'ish ones will the ones which will fetch the most money and that is goes for pretty much every car on the market. If you brought a Porsche and plugged £30k into modding it then expect to see only £10k of that back, that is the bottom line, modding has never been quite the investment method!

Obviously this link applies to America but as the import market opens I can see clean early models being snapped up, maybe not for MASSIVE prices tags but a modest increase!

http://www.pedaltothemetal.com/index.php/news_story/video_10_collectable_cars_you_need_to_buy_right_now.html

prices depends on lots of varients, car, condition, rarity etc etc...

for example (just picking these as an example of two cars) spiderjack and benkeis..

both facelift supras pretty much OEM and mint condition..

these cars are easy worth double figures and still will sell for that now infact am confident jacks car would sell very easy for 12-14k..

https://www.facebook.com/pages/JM-Imports/113721402065759?ref=hl#!/photo.php?fbid=313250358779528&set=a.143126495791916.24238.113721402065759&type=1&theater&notif_t=photo_comment

Mk1 Aristos are almost down to £1k! A sub £1k Aristo would b the ultimate performance bargain, 190mph for under £2k in total!

Indeed, and you lot are moaning because yours are below 5k :D Only if you can find one though. I sold mine to Andy a couple of years ago for 3.3k I believe?

prices depends on lots of varients, car, condition, rarity etc etc...

for example (just picking these as an example of two cars) spiderjack and benkeis..

both facelift supras pretty much OEM and mint condition..

these cars are easy worth double figures and still will sell for that now infact am confident jacks car would sell very easy for 12-14k..

https://www.facebook.com/pages/JM-Imports/113721402065759?ref=hl#!/photo.php?fbid=313250358779528&set=a.143126495791916.24238.113721402065759&type=1&theater¬if_t=photo_comment

Good picture to post :D

I hope they do go up, but who knows..

I don't think N/A manuals have dropped to bad in the last 6 years

Mine was mint when I got it for £4300 with 40k miles, I would guess it would fetch between £3k-£4k now if I had left it alone and not added 50k miles, so that's pretty good 6 years on to me

I got an N/A Manual for £975. Perfect working order, 53,000 miles, and only needs a few things doing to it because it's veilside kitted.

In my opinion they will go up again I think there could come a time when an average condition j-spec TT is worth £8-10k , problem is it'll take years before they become a rare classic, the value will drop even lower before this happens and I think it'll be another 8-10 years before they are considered classic and probably even longer before they become really desirable again (its all about rich folk and nostalgia for buying a great car they used to drive years ago, who can honestly say they wouldn't have another 205 gti or xr3i like they used to own back in the 90's if money was no object :D)

Edited by tomgeer (see edit history)

One day when emission laws get even stricter, fuel consumption even more important, cars will be superdull. And cars like these in good condition will be super rare... then prices will go through the roof for any of the fast cars! Reckon Supra's and any Skylines will be top dollar... not a million years from now!

I got an N/A Manual for £975. Perfect working order, 53,000 miles, and only needs a few things doing to it because it's veilside kitted.

There are always bargains to be had, but you have said it yourself "only needs a few things doing to it because it's veilside kitted"

So you have to do work to it. When I said mine was mint, it was, nothing needed doing at all, inside or out, where as you are planing to remove the Veilside kit by the sounds of it (good choice by the way), but that means you going to have to spend a fair amount of money on it, so paying £975 to start with is just to get the base car which you need to add money to

On the value thing that the thread is based on, the only Supra's that are ever going to see any return will be stock cars or very lightly modded, this isn't a Supra thing, but cars in general

Modding cars is totally pointless if you think you are going to get a return in value

I think TT Auto are proberbly slightly under valued at the moment, but that's because Joe public doesn't realise how different the Supra Auto is

Edited by DodgyRog (see edit history)