The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Suprapod 2013 update, add name if interested

TT Paul

• Replies 294
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

we have the option of the end of march, the start of april or mid october.

None of those dates are really worth considering at this point so Suprapod wont happen this year.

I am looking at other options but Shakespear wont let us do exclusive use and Straightliners ignore every request I send them so its a bit dead in the water at the moment.

How about Javelin for an airfield type day JB?

http://www.fightingtorque.org/torque/index.php

April is more like summertime than aug in recent years

You do have a point I was at Fast Show this year and that was the end of March and it was a scorcher!

http://sphotos-e.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash3/523396_10151437832665206_1356498407_n.jpg

Not the best pic of to show the weather lol

Yeah to be fair April could well be fine, at the beginning of the summer it should get a good turnout an all, everyone is keen to get out after the long winter.

This is true even in Jan there was a decent turn out for the LMM meet and that was partly due to people wanting to get the cars out after winter

Let's face it the weather is dogdy no matter what month you choose these days and Suprapod's weather ain't been the best but April has been as good, if not better than most for a few years now, so sounds good to me. It's a great event. I reckon though that Dragonball will be better attended than any other event next year and hoping to get on that but will make big efforts to attend both if they happen. Fair play Branners for doing such a tough job, don't envy you mate but cheers for doing it.

The bit I struggle with is when it gets rained off. People come such a long way and I hate to disappoint them. Suprapond from a few years back was an example, the only thing left to watch was the drifting so people started leaving at 1pm. The party at the hotel was awesome, but the day itself was a disappointment.

If we had an airfield 1/4 mile day then even if its pouring we can still do what we want and just have a big marquee next to the track so people can stand in the dry.

I will try and sort something for 2013, but I dont think I can risk £6k on Santapod for an April or October date.

The bit I struggle with is when it gets rained off. People come such a long way and I hate to disappoint them. Suprapond from a few years back was an example, the only thing left to watch was the drifting so people started leaving at 1pm. The party at the hotel was awesome, but the day itself was a disappointment.

If we had an airfield 1/4 mile day then even if its pouring we can still do what we want and just have a big marquee next to the track so people can stand in the dry.

I will try and sort something for 2013, but I dont think I can risk £6k on Santapod for an April or October date.

Fair point, either way it would be a shame if it didn't happen

Bruntingthorpe runway is 2 miles long, it's so damn wide you could easily run a mile event and a track/drifting loop of the taxiway on the top end of the site. Combine this with another club (Cough *GTR*) and it could be a winner.

The other plus is that it's something new, so it might attract people back the the event. Not sure how it would work with regard to the timing gear required for the mile run, needs further investigation! :)

i have tried to flog this dead horse also but have come to face that suprapod is a 95% NO, but a air field day is a possible go!

i must admit i like the idea of the air feild if we can still run in the rain that would make for a entertaining 1/4 mile run in a supra, plus if there is extra space to do other events thats great, brings another meaning to track and field (air field) that is.

we will have to do a joint things as well numbers and traders are alot lower of late,

i dont care if we loose suprapod but need to keep a event like it if it can be done cheaper then great

Bear in mind Santa Pod costs us £6k to hire for exclusive use. We can usually get insurance to cover the drag competitors if it gets rained off, but I have to jump through hoops to get that claimed, and the restrictions are pretty impressive on exactly what they will pay out for. It does mean any spectators that come along would not get any sort of refund for the day. We also really struggled to get the numbers we needed in 2012, without Sky Insurance we would have been a long way in the hole with no way of recovering the costs.

If we went with April then interest will be lower as people will expect it to be cold and wet, which means we will have to push even harder to get tickets sold which judging by last year just wouldnt happen. Even offering it out to other clubs got no response, again it was mostly Sky Insurance that got the non-supras along.

I enjoy organising events, but I dont like having to fight to get the numbers we need to get close to break even.

I will try to organise something for next year, but I wouldnt expect it to be at Santa Pod.

Bear in mind Santa Pod costs us £6k to hire for exclusive use. We can usually get insurance to cover the drag competitors if it gets rained off, but I have to jump through hoops to get that claimed, and the restrictions are pretty impressive on exactly what they will pay out for. It does mean any spectators that come along would not get any sort of refund for the day. We also really struggled to get the numbers we needed in 2012, without Sky Insurance we would have been a long way in the hole with no way of recovering the costs.

If we went with April then interest will be lower as people will expect it to be cold and wet, which means we will have to push even harder to get tickets sold which judging by last year just wouldnt happen. Even offering it out to other clubs got no response, again it was mostly Sky Insurance that got the non-supras along.

I enjoy organising events, but I dont like having to fight to get the numbers we need to get close to break even.

I will try to organise something for next year, but I wouldnt expect it to be at Santa Pod.

" let the boys play!!!"

On a serious note do you think if we start getting numbers now, perhaps we can book suprapod now? raise ticket prices slightly and invite a selection of clubs?? because at the end of the day its still OUR SUPRAPOD day!. Rotorstock invite others and its usually manic with cars

Rotorstock has had some serious issues with numbers too. They actually handed the whole day over to Santa Pod to organise and take the financial risk on as they couldnt get people to go along.

I doubt we could put prices up and get the numbers we need. If we increased spectator costs then it might work, but who would want to spend £40 for 4 people in a car just to watch the rain fall with no chance of a refund?

I'm sure we will be back at Santa Pod for 2014, but with the dates we have for 2013 it would be too much of a risk. I dont mind losing money on an event if its an awesome event, but Santa Pod can be cold, bleak and depressing in April when it rains or even snows.