The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Project: Prowl Update Car SOLD!!!

Geo

• Replies 324
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

OK, cheers Jurgen, I have had a poke insde the bellhousing of a manual here, and that too has a lot of wobble on the release arm, I would say it is normal, this one has no rattling issues. Not come across a dual mass going out of balance but a friend I spoke to today had a Maserati in with a remarkably similar LUK dual mass flywheel. It had a vibration and a new flywheel and clutch assembly cured it. Flywheel and clutch APPEARED (visually) perfect..... go figure :) Glad you got it sorted. Glad to help.

i was thinking about why not fit a fidanza lightweight unit to stop the rattle but looking on youtube for videos all of them seem to have this same or similar annoying rattle which they all say is gearbox, or "typical twin plate clutch rattling like crazy" but the cars are all in neutral so the clutch would be up. from my experience twin plates only rattle when the clutch is pressed and the plates are lifted and its the middle floating plate that causes the rattling. when its pedel up the clutch is clamped tightly so no noise. But all the cars in these videos had lightweight flywheels fitted.

Don't know if that helps towards the dual mass flywheel issue or not. as these had a similar noise and no dual mass flywheel.

Also does anyone know the power limitations of the dual mass flywheel? surely its got a power rating

bit like you geo want to see a nice 6 speed without any annoying noises as that would drive me insane, and really put me off a supra

Tim

forget the stupid question above, after reading around some more I see the dual mass flywheel is to help stop the noisy box to start with. This must be down to the getrag box as with all the other toyota experience I've never come across this before. Normally we fit lightweight fidanza flywheels to mr2/gt4/glanza/ etc etc and there just as quiet as the standard flywheel. :(

Just out of interest seeing this has some facelift parts on it (i know there wasn't a confirmed date on part swap over) but does this have the V160 or V161 gearbox in it?

Tim :)

As you have now found, the rattle a multi plate clutch

creates when not depressed is from the drive train, not from within the clutch itself. When a multi plate clutch is DEPRESSED it in itself can rattle, and almost certainly will. There are OE designs that inhibited this by clever means, I used to have a lovely mid engined Renault 5 Turbo 2 homologation special that used a twin plate clutch that was rattle free when disengaged, but it was quite a trick part, and hugely expensive to replace.

I would NOT touch an alloy flywheel with bolted or rivetted steel friction face (a la Fidenza). Just asking for warping or the friction plate coming loose. in fact the only aftermarket multi plate clutches I will SUPPLY and fit are OS Giken ones. I wll FIT anything anyone asks, but I stand by Giken ones.

I would NOT touch an alloy flywheel with bolted or rivetted steel friction face (a la Fidenza). Just asking for warping or the friction plate coming loose.

has anyone ever seen this happen? because its a new one to me and fitted loads of these, albeit not to a supra, but on cars pushing upto 600bhp on a regular basis. anything after that a single plate didn't hold the torque so cars with more power i've fitted like you said os giken items on the 3sgte's

and is it true that the V161 isn't a genuine getrag box but a toyota built version? and that although its not as strong its meant to be a quieter unit? or is this another internet forum unconfirmed rumour?

Tim

update time and not good

Gaz as put the car back together now and tested, noise is still present when changing gear. He's going to pull the prop off and run the car see if the noise is there with the prop off??

Will update when i can.

Only thing thats left to change is the prop, diff, and pressure plate as these are the only things now that aint been replaced or swapped.

:(

Not good Geo, hope you sort it soon. Look on the positive you will have near enough a brand new car once everythings been swapped out ;)

thats my problem i bought the car thinking it would be hassle free didnt want to spend any on it, wanted to jump in it, and go. :(

That's a hell of a time you are having with that car. Hope you get to the bottom of it soon mate.

tell me about it, :(

A long windy road mate but it will be worth it.

Fingers crossed for you. I have a spare rear gearbox seal if needed.

dam right its long and windy, worth it?? Mmmm ask me that once i fix it??

Have you checked the shifter cradle to make sure it isn't that what's knocking when changing gear?

funnily enough hodge said the same thing, i'll ask the guys to check it tomorrow, but im sure the shifter was fin when i looked at it when the box was out.

if you have no joy mate with cradle and prop off..

bring car to us and we can swap everything with one of my stock cars to get to bottom of the shifting noise..

(it has to be something daft mate - we only swapped the box from another car last time and new clutch) as it was in and out job due to travel.

it will mean few days with out your car..

as much as its fustrating for you it is for me also , but it will save you and me buying brand new parts and swapping things over that dont need to be changed and the noise will be gone ;-).

how does that sound ?

and if you come before or around 14th 15th you can borrow my evo wagon as am away on buisness for 10 days.

Edited by Jurgen-Jm-Imports (see edit history)

Sounds good to me matey. Will buzz ya in the morning.

I'm away on 16th - 19th down to London. So will need dropped off before that. I'm in no rush for the car. So can have it long as you like to diagnose the problem bud.

Cheers dude.

if you have no joy mate with cradle and prop off..

bring car to us and we can swap everything with one of my stock cars to get to bottom of the shifting noise..

(it has to be something daft mate - we only swapped the box from another car last time and new clutch) as it was in and out job due to travel.

it will mean few days with out your car..

as much as its fustrating for you it is for me also , but it will save you and me buying brand new parts and swapping things over that dont need to be changed and the noise will be gone ;-).

how does that sound ?

and if you come before or around 14th 15th you can borrow my evo wagon as am away on buisness for 10 days.

I like what I read about JM-Imports, always positive feedback. This post just shows the after sales customer service, excellent :)

So we whipped the Prop off tonight, and ran the car as per normal going through the gears the noise is still present, not as loud, but still there. Looks as though its present when the clutch is loaded at biting point, we pulled off the trim and gator to look at the linkage and into the hole, defo noise is coming from that area.

Spoke to jurgen, and he wants the car back to resolve it. So im dropping the car off to him on Sat morning with TonyTT. Said his guys will strip it all down, and resolve the matter no matter what it is.

Top bloke for after sales care. :thumbs:

Spoke to jurgen, and he wants the car back to resolve it. So im dropping the car off to him on Sat morning with TonyTT. Said his guys will strip it all down, and resolve the matter no matter what it is.

Top bloke for after sales care. :thumbs:

Can't really ask for more there! Great service!