The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Project: Prowl Update Car SOLD!!!

Geo

• Replies 324
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Gave the car a good clean today, can't have her looking like a tramp for going to get my flywheel fitted.

Noticed my Spat coming off, so i pulled it off to see if i like the look of With or without spats? I like both TBH. So if anyone has the trim needed for when i take these off money is waiting. :D When i pulled the Spat off i noticed this on closer inspection. It should pull out easy enough, i'll pop over to my mates bodyshop and he cant fix it., :D

Lose the skirts as well, shame about the small dent, perhaps that's why the spats were fitted in the first place

I think im going to bud, im going the completely stock look. I just the trim for when i take everything off. :D

Lovely Geo. Have you had the car detailed?

Not yet bud, i took these pics before i attacked her with G1 cleaning compound today, she came up a treat, but i still need to get her detailed with a Machine polish. :D My friend will do it, just need to book it in with him. :D

Not yet bud, i took these pics before i attacked her with G1 cleaning compound today, she came up a treat, but i still need to get her detailed with a Machine polish. :D My friend will do it, just need to book it in with him. :D

It looks mint already, so I can imagine the finish after machine polish will be cracking. Lovely car mate and good progress. Beauty

Don't lose the spats and the skirts!!! It'll look too skinny and all wrong!!! A bit like training biceps and never triceps!!

I know what i mean!! lol

:rlol: i know what you mean bud. :D

the gearbox rattle (getrag rattle) loads in USA posted issues same as GEO and they decided it was normal.

Yes this has been going around for flipping ages, Will do a little video of old vs New bud. :D

ah ok, so people thinkings a normal thing but you and others think its the flywheel causing it?

To be honest the flywheel makes more sense to me, might be new to the supra field but over 10 year with Toyota and your idea is ticking all the right boxes with me

Tim :)

99.9% its the flywheel. :D

So we pulled the gearbox today, and we found there was some slight play in the flywheel. We looked closer and on inspection of the Pressure plate, we found this, see video. Is this too much play in the pressure plate??? I dont wana chuck in the new flywheel, as it might need to come back out for a new pressure plate, so i need someone to confirm the amount of play??

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OsjXtNr9sZM

I've only done a couple of clutch changes on these so by no means an expert, although I cant remember there being that much movement on it. Can it move that much with the input shaft of the gearbox through the bearing?

I've only done a couple of clutch changes on these so by no means an expert, although I cant remember there being that much movement on it. Can it move that much with the input shaft of the gearbox through the bearing?

We stuck it back in the box Ben and tried to move it by hand, and we had no movement, but thats not to say it dont move when there is load going through it??

TBH im lost now, to where i go. I've got the new flywheel ready to go, but the box might need to come back out if the plate is stuff. :(

We stuck it back in the box Ben and tried to move it by hand, and we had no movement, but thats not to say it dont move when there is load going through it??

TBH im lost now, to where i go. I've got the new flywheel ready to go, but the box might need to come back out if the plate is stuff. :(

Best way would be a set of verniers, then you'll now exactly how much movement there is. I'm going to have a watch of your video of the noise with all attached and have a think, although from memory, it does sound like the flywheel. People say these boxes are that noisey, if that was the case (on a standard car), Toyota would have had them all returned!

Best way would be a set of verniers, then you'll now exactly how much movement there is. I'm going to have a watch of your video of the noise with all attached and have a think, although from memory, it does sound like the flywheel. People say these boxes are that noisey, if that was the case (on a standard car), Toyota would have had them all returned!

i drove a 6speed N/A and it was so quiet bud, LeeP said to change the bearing, washer and clips, with new flywheel.

If that dont fix it, i really am lost. :(

i drove a 6speed N/A and it was so quiet bud, LeeP said to change the bearing, washer and clips, with new flywheel.

If that dont fix it, i really am lost. :(

Just had another listen, that's definitely not right. I've only drove 4/5 tt6's, but i'd have noticed that!

I'd go with Lee's suggestion, did he mean the bearing on the prop? That's a more likely candidate. The noise your getting when rotating the propshaft back and forth is normal though, my r154 does that, but is silent when ladden.

Assuming your gearbox mount isn't fecked?

If it were the flywheel I would expect it to make a racket when loading the clutch up, say attempting to pull off in 3/4th with the handbrake on. If it were a dual mass flywheel on it's last legs, it would most certainly knock it's tits off then.

Same as above mate, most certainly not as it should be. Flywheel being the first suspect. Did it knock when you load it up? Say 3/4th, loads of revs, handbrake on? The other way is 2nd gear and a big hill :).

The gearbox mount would also be suspect, however it's usually more of a loud knock than a metallic rattle that you've got.

I'd stick with Lee's suggestions, if I were to put money on it (without hearing it in person), it would be the flywheel.

Where is the car now? If it's at Jurgen's I'd pop in and have a look. My studio's not far from his,

Same as above mate, most certainly not as it should be. Flywheel being the first suspect. Did it knock when you load it up? Say 3/4th, loads of revs, handbrake on? The other way is 2nd gear and a big hill :).

The gearbox mount would also be suspect, however it's usually more of a loud knock than a metallic rattle that you've got.

I'd stick with Lee's suggestions, if I were to put money on it (without hearing it in person), it would be the flywheel.

Where is the car now? If it's at Jurgen's I'd pop in and have a look. My studio's not far from his,

i didnt load it up bud,

Mount has been changed New OEM one, car is at a Garage local to me who deal with loads of Jap cars. I'll go with what lee said, and the new flywheel, if need be if it needs to come back out so be it.