The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Project: Prowl Update Car SOLD!!!

Geo

i didnt load it up bud,

Mount has been changed New OEM one, car is at a Garage local to me who deal with loads of Jap cars. I'll go with what lee said, and the new flywheel, if need be if it needs to come back out so be it.

Fair enough. There isn't much left to change then. Hope for your sanity's sake it's the flywheel!

BTW, box of shiz wrapped up and ready.

• Replies 324
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Watching this with interest Geo. I've had an identical noise since I've had the car. I just put up with it, I've an aftermarket clutch and just always assumed it had a lightened noisy flywheel.

Would love o fix the noise, makes the car sound like scrap.

Watching this with interest Geo. I've had an identical noise since I've had the car. I just put up with it, I've an aftermarket clutch and just always assumed it had a lightened noisy flywheel.

Would love o fix the noise, makes the car sound like scrap.

TBH mate, i think most people think that the noise is ment to be there, its not. The car should rive like any other, without the nosie. :D

Im on it, at the end of this quest i'll have found the culprit to what is causing it. :D

anyone know what the power rating on the dual mass flywheel is? because its got a dampening effect and moving parts inside there has to be some kind of rating?

also something that will make you sick, was at my local gearbox place today picking up some parts for a customer and we got talking about supras. i was asking if there was any issues with the getrag boxes and he commented they never go wrong, and that he actually had 12 brand new boxes that were given to him from a local dealership that went bust, and the sickening thing is he weighed them in for scrap last year because they'd been there for a few years without any need to ever use them for parts or had a customer asking for them :(

Anyway sorry to go off topic, good luck with the cure.

Tim :)

anyone know what the power rating on the dual mass flywheel is? because its got a dampening effect and moving parts inside there has to be some kind of rating?

also something that will make you sick, was at my local gearbox place today picking up some parts for a customer and we got talking about supras. i was asking if there was any issues with the getrag boxes and he commented they never go wrong, and that he actually had 12 brand new boxes that were given to him from a local dealership that went bust, and the sickening thing is he weighed them in for scrap last year because they'd been there for a few years without any need to ever use them for parts or had a customer asking for them :(

Anyway sorry to go off topic, good luck with the cure.

Tim :)

12x3k ;(

pressure plate is normal as per geos video..

hoping the flywheel cures the noise infact 99% it will now.

I changed my clutch about a month ago and can't remember there being that much play in the throwout bearing/hub! My old clutch is lying somewhere in my friends shed... I can check and have a look for you tomorrow, if Jurgen doesn't get the chance?

It may also not be the pressure plate at fault... Are all the C-Clips in place with that hub? (There are 3 or four of them, could be that one is missing...).

Hope you get it sorted

Edited by Supe (see edit history)

So we pulled the gearbox today, and we found there was some slight play in the flywheel. We looked closer and on inspection of the Pressure plate, we found this, see video. Is this too much play in the pressure plate??? I dont wana chuck in the new flywheel, as it might need to come back out for a new pressure plate, so i need someone to confirm the amount of play??

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OsjXtNr9sZM

That looks normal, as I said on the phone, new pilot bearing in the back of the crank, new pressure plate, new clutch release bearing, check flywheel dual mass movement against shop manual specs, and check all washers either side of release bearing are correct.

Would an engine mount not show up when on / off throttle without changing gear? I *think* Geo's problem is only evident when changing gear?

Maybe, but not the diff mounts.

top video is with the clutch installed and clipped into play bud. :(

Didn't see that one, pissed and half asleep, apologies.

Again, out of the few clutches I've changed on these, I don't recall any having that much movement, they usually fit very snug. Without hearing it in person, I would have the wager put on that being the noise your hearing. From watching the first video it's more in time with you operating the clutch than actually changing gear.

Awaiting Mr W's thoughts though.

the pressure plate movement is normal - we checked here vs another one.

for the fork its on a pin and circlip so not much to wear. (as seen on pic)

the only thing that can be worn is the hole were pin goes..

i can check 1st thing in morning here to comfirm..

or its case of swapping holder were pin goes or sleeving it so less movement.

or machine bigger pin to suit hole - 5 min job on lathe.. (but hold on until i call you in morning)

fork.jpg

Edited by Jurgen-Jm-Imports (see edit history)

Right in an Attempt at solving this problem i've ordered the following

Pin(for clutch release fork) 90249-12044

Release Support fork spring 31234-14020

Release Fork Support 31236-14030

Chris Wilson - Rear gearbox Seal, this one is leaking over my new Mount. :(

All these parts will be installed with a new flywheel, so fingers crossed it fixes the problem :D ???

Edited by Geo (see edit history)