Johnny's Big Billet Twins Build

johnny g

• Replies 265
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Loving the progress, Johnny :) Have to say that Lee certainly gets stuck in!

I might check this out in a couple of weeks. I do have a soft spot for your build mate, its sweeeetttttttttt

Yea - but I'm realistic. It won't be done overnight - but it will be done right. And when it comes home, it's getting new bushes and suspension all around - and a wheel refurb. Then I'll be happy.

I think I'll just go L19 studs :)

Or you could go with the new ARP custom age 625s which technically speaking are set to replace L19s in the future from what I've been told.

There drop in just like the L19s, slightly stronger than L19s, don't need special handling and storage like L19s as the material is far more resistant to corrosion and oxidation and there slightly cheaper than L19s.

Seems like a win win to me ;)

Few updates from Lee - going with a new stock and additional oil cooler. I've been to Mr T and ordered the parts this morning.

There's been a leak around the gearbox shifter seals, so that's getting done along with brand new shifter bushes - and I've got myself on the Group Buy for the Whifbitz Polybushes.

Fair few other things getting done in the mean time, and the turbos are out with Owen Developments now. But, it'll come together.

And there's been a hitch with Titan. They only sent me a single 272 cam, exhaust side as well. So that left me cam-less for the intake. Lee and Ryan both advised against a reversed staggered setup - so I've decided to go 264 VVTi's. Maybe look at the 272's down the line.

There's also a L19 head stud kit, TRD Thermostat and the SRD rad being installed on it now.

Edited by johnny g (see edit history)

• 3 weeks later...

Well, the parts arrived and the build is well underway. Just awaiting a single shim - which is proving tough to get quickly, so we might be getting a bigger one and grounding it down to suit. Not sure, Lee will know, though.

The head arrived from Whifbitz, Stage 3.

attachment.php?attachmentid=149390&stc=1&d=1333557960

attachment.php?attachmentid=149391&stc=1&d=1333557960

All of the Toyota parts Lee asked for are there and he's building up!

Owen Developments have made the turbos, shipped them out today and should be with Lee tomorrow. The exact spec is:

Remanufactured GT3037 core assembly, new motorsport bearing cages, compressor cover, and a GT3071 billet wheel (similar to Garrett GTX) fitted with a 76 HTA compressor wheel.

These should be able to flow up to 59lb/min each.

IMG_2021.jpg

IMG_2022.jpg

Good progress going on here ... Some pictures are of work done a while back.

Block cleaned.

attachment.php?attachmentid=149800&stc=1&d=1334181086

attachment.php?attachmentid=149801&stc=1&d=1334181086

attachment.php?attachmentid=149802&stc=1&d=1334181086

attachment.php?attachmentid=149803&stc=1&d=1334181086

New OEM oil pump and FMS fitted

attachment.php?attachmentid=149804&stc=1&d=1334181086

Main sump fitted

attachment.php?attachmentid=149805&stc=1&d=1334181086

Lower sump and magnetic plug

attachment.php?attachmentid=149806&stc=1&d=1334181086

attachment.php?attachmentid=149807&stc=1&d=1334181086

Whifbitz stage 3 head fitted with L19 studs.

attachment.php?attachmentid=149808&stc=1&d=1334181086

attachment.php?attachmentid=149809&stc=1&d=1334181086

Just waiting for one shim from Toyota. One shim!

Will have some more pics as soon as Lee sends 'em over. Turbos should look lovely.

IMG_2046.jpg

IMG_2047.jpg

IMG_2048.jpg

IMG_2049.jpg

IMG_2050.jpg

IMG_2051.jpg

IMG_2052.jpg

IMG_2053.jpg

IMG_2054.jpg

IMG_2055.jpg

Are you using the old block or using the "new" none VVTi one? I know Lee had a few words with me, how did it pan out J?

We are using the early non Vvti block. We have made an adaptor to fit the oil feed in. It's been done in the US and apparently works fine. Will post a pic up of the bit we made.