The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Johnny's Big Billet Twins Build

johnny g

Sadly not :) The head is an exchange unit for Whifbitz :)

Hmm, hopefully I will be able to find some spare cash afterward to take advantage of Mr Whiffin's newly perfected VVTi head building :) Still have a bit of thinking to do after talking to Paul and Chris Wilson about head modifications though.

• Replies 265
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Hmm, hopefully I will be able to find some spare cash afterward to take advantage of Mr Whiffin's newly perfected VVTi head building :) Still have a bit of thinking to do after talking to Paul and Chris Wilson about head modifications though.

Indeed! If money is no object, go to Chris and have one built to his spec - however, this car is a hobby for me, so a generic pre-built one from Whifbitz is something that's perfect for me, given that I've done 800 miles in the car this year!

Indeed! If money is no object, go to Chris and have one built to his spec - however, this car is a hobby for me, so a generic pre-built one from Whifbitz is something that's perfect for me, given that I've done 800 miles in the car this year!

Haha, if only money was no object! I'm somewhat concerned by the law of diminishing returns now - I'm getting leery these days on spending big to get a few more hp at lower boost. That, and the ferry costs to Germany might start to add up :D

The Titan cams seriously made Jules vvti engine laggy! I would go for the Hks intake cam JG as when he went back to that it transformed it.

I spoke to Titan about that, and they've assured me that it's not an issue. I'll have the current cams as fall back if need be. Just want to go on a different route :)

I will be watching with interest, as I want the same Titan 272 cams... I heard some bad stuff about them, so I still can't make up my mind...

I've heard both good and bad, however, I've spoken to Sean at Titan and they're assuring me that these will be fine. Based on their reputation, and my love of trying different things to the norm, like the true DBW, I think it'll be a decent setup. If not, then I'll cross that bridge when I come to it.

I've heard both good and bad, however, I've spoken to Sean at Titan and they're assuring me that these will be fine. Based on their reputation, and my love of trying different things to the norm, like the true DBW, I think it'll be a decent setup. If not, then I'll cross that bridge when I come to it.

I still haven't given up on these... Just waiting to hear on first hand how good actually are those cams. As my build will be pretty close to yours.

Offtopic: Are those Mahle pistons better than the CP ones?

I still haven't given up on these... Just waiting to hear on first hand how good actually are those cams. As my build will be pretty close to yours.

Offtopic: Are those Mahle pistons better than the CP ones?

I'd say so - they've stood up to JamieP's abuse (and Nitrous!)

• 5 weeks later...

Another small update. Heard from Lee the other day, he's hoping to have the car down to SRD at the end of Jan/early Feb. In the meantime, I've been shopping. In addition to the block from Jamie, I've gone ahead and bought:

VVTi Head

Whifbitz Stage 3 Full Race Cylinder Head.

Brian Crower 1mm oversize valves,

Brian Crower single valve springs,

Brian Crower retainers,

Ferrea bronze valve guides,

Fully Ported, skimmed and shimmed,

Titan Motorsports 272 9.9mm VVTi cams

Also went and got

Titan Crank Pulley

Whifbitz Billet Tensioner

OEM new gaskets all around

OEM new water pump

OEM new oil pump

OEM new thermostat

On the way is an RPS Triple Carbon Clutch and when the engine is pulled, the HKS Twin 3037's are being overhauled with HTA wheel upgrades, making it the latest turbo technology on there.

Should be a decent motor!

EDIT: Forgot to add that I've also got a TRD 10k Tacho now too :D

Edited by johnny g (see edit history)

Another small update. Heard from Lee the other day, he's hoping to have the car down to SRD at the end of Jan/early Feb. In the meantime, I've been shopping. In addition to the block from Jamie, I've gone ahead and bought:

VVTi Head

Whifbitz Stage 3 Full Race Cylinder Head.

Brian Crower 1mm oversize valves,

Brian Crower single valve springs,

Brian Crower retainers,

Ferrea bronze valve guides,

Fully Ported, skimmed and shimmed,

Titan Motorsports 272 9.9mm VVTi cams

Also went and got

Titan Crank Pulley

Whifbitz Billet Tensioner

OEM new gaskets all around

OEM new water pump

OEM new oil pump

OEM new thermostat

On the way is an RPS Triple Carbon Clutch and when the engine is pulled, the HKS Twin 3037's are being overhauled with HTA wheel upgrades, making it the latest turbo technology on there.

Should be a decent motor!

I can't wait to see this at Dragonball, saying that I might not see it once you get your foot down lol, not with my stock TT power anyway, I'll look like I'm going backwards!

I've had to keep quiet about the spec of this for months, pleased its all out in the open now it's like a weights been lifted lol.

Hope it all goes well Johnny you deserve a little luck with a project for a change. I'm looking forward to having a go :D