The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Guess the rwhp on this set up!?

Westy

I am getting my car fully re-sprayed in 202, I've asked for the garage to leave only the blades in carbon but paint the top of the bonnet where it dips into the blade. By painting the side wall where it dips into the blades will give it depth which will look better. When the side wall levels out to the same depth as the bonnet thats where the line of the 3rd blade that will be left in carbon. I will post photos in Feb..! :-)

Make sure they use the correct type of paint. I've hears stories of some paint effecting the CF and weakening it.

• Replies 240
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Is there anyone with similar power/spec to yourself Jamie? What sort of terminals and times do they run? Is it similar? When comparing, are you taking the 1132bhp as closest to flywheel or WHP?

I dont know of another 6 speed supra in the uk that can drive to the track, run 10's with 150+ mph terminals and drive home again on the same tyres as yet. in the US there are lots of cars that have less power than mine yet run higher terminals. according to you this cant be possible as there dyno's over read.

Ive never run the car at the strip with my latest output, my 1132 bhp is at the hubs, im not going to try and convert it to fwhp or rwhp as its all just a guess.

What do you mean? I'm not basing my opinion on personal experience, far from it, just going from what others have done in their cars at the power they have had at the time. I'd love nothing more than to be proven wrong and have it all put to bed but nothing has convinced me that all dynos read the same HP across the world.

Everything you are saying has no facts behind it that ive seen, You keep banging on about one car, tdr's car doing 120+mph terminals, ive never seen that myself, i did see his 114 mph run and thats a long way behind Jessica's time in terms of power. you also say he was running 400fwhp, again i have no idea, i was at the dyno the day before when Ryan was mapping his car on race fuel though, It was a while back but iirc they could not get an output out of it for some reason.

Either way i dont care, i am impressed at what Jessica has done with her car, i hope she sticks about and does not take offence at this thread, id like to read of her future updates.

No doubt you will bang on about how some car has done a certain terminal at xxxbhp again in this thread, Dont aim any questions at me, i wont be replying.

154 posts and counting....sorry I asked!lol!:D

Great car Jezzica! I only brought this up as I was impressed by the cars figures and thought it would be a good topic for discussion.

Look forward to hearing more about how the car progresses in the future.:)

I dont know of another 6 speed supra in the uk that can drive to the track, run 10's with 150+ mph terminals and drive home again on the same tyres as yet. in the US there are lots of cars that have less power than mine yet run higher terminals. according to you this cant be possible as there dyno's over read.

Ive never run the car at the strip with my latest output, my 1132 bhp is at the hubs, im not going to try and convert it to fwhp or rwhp as its all just a guess.

Everything you are saying has no facts behind it that ive seen, You keep banging on about one car, tdr's car doing 120+mph terminals, ive never seen that myself, i did see his 114 mph run and thats a long way behind Jessica's time in terms of power. you also say he was running 400fwhp, again i have no idea, i was at the dyno the day before when Ryan was mapping his car on race fuel though, It was a while back but iirc they could not get an output out of it for some reason.

Either way i dont care, i am impressed at what Jessica has done with her car, i hope she sticks about and does not take offence at this thread, id like to read of her future updates.

No doubt you will bang on about how some car has done a certain terminal at xxxbhp again in this thread, Dont aim any questions at me, i wont be replying.

You take the huff far too easily.

What do you mean? I'm not basing my opinion on personal experience, far from it, just going from what others have done in their cars at the power they have had at the time. I'd love nothing more than to be proven wrong and have it all put to bed but nothing has convinced me that all dynos read the same HP across the world.

thats the whole problem scott, your full of opinion about something you have absolutely no experience of, its actually quite sad tbh fella.

thats the whole problem scott, your full of opinion about something you have absolutely no experience of, its actually quite sad tbh fella.

I don't have any experience of jumping off of bridges but I'm pretty sure it would hurt.

I'm a pretty logical guy, my opinions on things are based on logic, what adds up and what doesn't. No more and no less. Regardless of how much experience someone has at something there is always something that can be learned.

To say I don't know anything about something because I have no experience is just obtuse. The fact that you're saying it after JP just makes you sound like a fanboi which is REALLY sad IMO. But I don't have any experience of that either so I guess that's sad too.

For anyone to say that xxx HP means xxx terminal is possible is fine, it might very well be true when HP is taken as a constant. My point is that people have their cars tested on vastly different power measureing instruments that give out vastly different power figures. The people who say I have xxx BHP and I did xxx terminal so that adds up is totally unreliable as they would have to have had their power measured on the same dyno as the person, or at least have their car measured to the same standard as the testing was put forward to give the HP to terminal relationship.

I don't have any experience of jumping off of bridges but I'm pretty sure it would hurt.

I'm a pretty logical guy, my opinions on things are based on logic, what adds up and what doesn't. No more and no less. Regardless of how much experience someone has at something there is always something that can be learned.

To say I don't know anything about something because I have no experience is just obtuse. The fact that you're saying it after JP just makes you sound like a fanboi which is REALLY sad IMO. But I don't have any experience of that either so I guess that's sad too.

For anyone to say that xxx HP means xxx terminal is possible is fine, it might very well be true when HP is taken as a constant. My point is that people have their cars tested on vastly different power measureing instruments that give out vastly different power figures. The people who say I have xxx BHP and I did xxx terminal so that adds up is totally unreliable as they would have to have had their power measured on the same dyno as the person, or at least have their car measured to the same standard as the testing was put forward to give the HP to terminal relationship.

lol i dont need to fanboy anyone i have my own awesome stuff, i dont speculate what this and that might be like, i do it.

i could imagine your sooo much fun on a friday night over a pint, NOT lol

I genuinely can't even recall what the point of this argument is now, or what prompted it. I certainly won't be going back to find out.

Regarding terminal speeds being constant despite how rubbish you are at launching:

If you take the initial acceleration as linear in order to make the maths easier, say it takes you 3.5 seconds to do 0 to 60. This means you average 13.3 meters per second for 3.5 seconds, so you travel 40 meters. You manage to accelerate to a trap speed of 120mph.

Take the same car but this time pull a 0-60 of 2.5 seconds. Now you average 13.3m/s for 2.5 seconds so you travel 33m instead of 40m. This means you have an extra 7 meters to continue to accelerate in. By the time you're doing 120mph that seven meters takes 0.13 seconds to travel. That means you gain 0.13 seconds to continue accelerating in, which even with 500bhp your max gain is only about 1mph (assuming a 10mph/second acceleration rate for a car of this power at this velocity). So your trap speed is 121mph, despite a whole second faster to 60.

Take the same car again and really fluff the launch. Do a 6 second 0-60 (i.e. I'm driving :D ). Now it takes 80 meters to get to 60mph. That means you lose 47 meters of acceleration room compared to the 2.5s 0-60. At 120mph it takes 0.88 seconds to traverse those 47 meters, so you lose 0.9*10mph, which is 9mph. Your trap speed is still about 111mph despite a shockingly pedestrian start.

A more realistic 4.5s fluffed start gives us a trap of 115mph.

You see why, with a constant power output, the terminal speed is still more of an indication of power than the launch speed? Given the same power output, the difference between a 3.5 and a 2.5 second 0-60 in terms of skill and car setup is immense. But the trap speed is a mere 1mph.

Obviously I've simplified the maths here but it's not going to change by much even if you differential'd it.

Edited by Ian C
Cocked up a number (see edit history)

Jessica welcome to the club, what a nice supra you have and that launch looks very impressive.

Dont worry about Scott, he sometimes ruins threads like this because other members don't get his logical thinking and then has to scream and stamp his feet until everyone gives up the will to live.

Here are some facts!

Last year 2010 i had this setup in the car:

JDM turbos

Upgraded camshafts

FMIC

2,5 inch DP+MP

3,5 inch catback

Scc/bcc and HKS EVC 5

Blitz air intake

The dyno result: 386RWHP/ 420FWHP

The dragstrip result 12.45/115 (Sundsvall Raceway 16 july 2010)

This year:

OEM Euro/US turbos

Upgraded camshafts

Upgraded camgears

OEM Euro/US 550 cc injectors

FMIC

3.25 inch DP+MP

3,5 inch catback

AEM v2 Tuned by SMR Racing

Blitz air intake

The dyno result: 486RWHP/ 540FWHP

The dragstrip result 11.38/122.5 (Kjula Raceway 22 aug 2011)

The difference between those two setups is:

8mph and over 1 sek

My best 60 ft: 1.57

Edited by Jessica (see edit history)