The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Guess the rwhp on this set up!?

Westy

Ok I see your argument, and it is valid to an extent.

All dyno figures are relative, but why don't we use solely UK results.

On the drag register the cars running a 120-122 terminal are all cars with what would be 450-500+whp on SRR's dyno.

To me this would suggest that you need around those figures to get that terminal. Would that not make sense?

I understand HP being just a unit of measurement can possibly vary, however the terminals from the UK would allude to that terminal speed matching that power.

Also as for the hub dyno vs whp dyno, KDW dyno'd on both (dynojet and dynapack) with the same results. Apart from that he backed up his power with his 100-150 times being bang on with a 1100hp car.

Also Abbey Motorsport had the Brams engine on an engine dyno prior to arriving to the UK and the hub dyno was about 15% below the flywheel figure.

Also Jamie's terminal is bang on with what people are getting at 1050-1100whp in America....

With regards to fuel, it seriously changes the efficiency range of a turbo. In the UK. Subaru tuners have been doing documented back to back tests with just adding a 10% methanol addition and at the same boost(more timing though) it would make around 10% more power. Granted it's a different engine etc, but it's more to prove how a turbo's efficiency shifts completely.

On a TD05 turbo (350hp turbo) at 1.5 bar every degree of timing added would result in 5hp,

Loads of points there and it's getting late.

The trouble here is that for the most part drag racing isn't taken very seriously on this forum. There are the odd ones that stand out though, StuartW is a good example as he ran 9.5s with a stock block in the 140s with regards to terminal. Not sure what power he was running on that run though. It's a big big thing in the US supra scene and the guys over there put in, what I would consider, the true potential of their cars. They have it all down pat and the strips are FAR better than most of the UK ones.

The difference for me is what I said earlier. The cars at their specs will have a certain potential, reaching that potential is a whole different ballgame. I'm aiming for around 700hp with my car and I'll never reach the potential on the drag strip that the car will have, I just don't have the drive, money or the patience to do it. For the most part the members on here are like me, some with a bit more drive obviously, and will take their cars to the strip on street tyres or with very little practice and put down times that are miles away from what the car could potentially put down.

At the opposite end of the scale there are BPU cars putting down 115-120mph terminals with 11 sec quarters. For me it's all relative.

BPU is by far the most common supra variant here (other than possibly N/A but I can't be sure). Other than the pro guys TDR has taken it as far as he could, being the fastest BPU Supra in the UK shows this. Comparing the fastest BPU supra in the UK with the fastest BPU supra in the US is a fair comparison for me. 1000hp UK car vs 1000hp US car isn't, as there will be WILDLY contrasting differences in the driver and the setup.

Lets say that the BPU Supras that make 400WHP in the US (very common from what I understand) are using methonol. Compared to the UK BPU that would be an increase of 10%, 400FWHP (Common UK BPU) + 10% = 440FWHP. For every degree 5hp is given, this would therefor require 12 degrees of advance to make 500fwhp which would be approx 400RWHP (The known US norm).

Now, throw into this the fact that 500rwhp is being claimed. 400FWHP + 10% = 440hp. To make up the additional 160hp would take 32 degrees of advance.

Surely that's just not possible?

• Replies 240
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

With regards to fuel, it seriously changes the efficiency range of a turbo. In the UK. Subaru tuners have been doing documented back to back tests with just adding a 10% methanol addition and at the same boost(more timing though) it would make around 10% more power. Granted it's a different engine etc, but it's more to prove how a turbo's efficiency shifts completely.

On a TD05 turbo (350hp turbo) at 1.5 bar every degree of timing added would result in 5hp,

While I'm not getting involved in the rest of the discussion, I've got to query this bit :)

You say fuel changes the efficiency range of a turbo, which is odd in and of itself as the turbo doesn't get involved with the fuel barring perhaps the effect it can have on EGTs. Then you say these tests were done at the same boost anyway? :blink: But it had the timing advanced (which was possible due to the det resistant nature of the methanol). Well, the advanced timing is where the extra power is coming from, boost hasn't changed. So I'm not sure where the "turbo gets more efficient" statement comes from?

10% more power on a 350bhp turbo = 35bhp, at 5bhp per degree that's 7deg of timing advance, nothing too outrageous and quite plausible. Turbo efficiency has nothing to do with it, the extra power is gained from advancing the ignition long after the turbo has done its work :)

If these tests on Scoobies are documented, can we have a link to them please :thumbs:

-Ian

Hi there! What discussion there has been about my car! ;)

The 500 horses has been with stocktwins, AEM v2, uppgraded camshafts/camgears and we got a 11.38/122.5 at the racetrack here in Sweden. European record. Of course 6-speed!

No nitro and regular 99 V-power from Shell.

The car has been built by the best over here in Sweden, called "Supramannen" ho has the Swedish record with 8.76 with he´s past supra.

More questions guys?:)

The European record video!

Thanks guys! :) What a welcome!:D

I have owned the car for about 4 years now. For this season I thought about going single turbo or stay stocktwin.

I decided to stay stocktwin and to get the Swedish record who was 11.61@120.

We managed to take the European record instead and I couldn´t be happier.

I drive the car daily by the way. :)

I hope she doesn't read the other thread where you said about being overweight and having the personality of a house brick or it might be a swift encounter.................. Just surprise her and ask her to take a photo of you in your car for a change as I am sure she is sick of doing all the posing.

I have owned the car for about 4 years now. For this season I thought about going single turbo or stay stocktwin.

New destination for Dragonball is now Sweden ! Branners make it so :D

Welcome to the club by the way it is a very nice supra you have there. You get a lot of attention because you are female and even more because you are extremely beautiful :)

:love::iloveyou:

Ok I see your argument, and it is valid to an extent.

All dyno figures are relative, but why don't we use solely UK results.

On the drag register the cars running a 120-122 terminal are all cars with what would be 450-500+whp on SRR's dyno.

To me this would suggest that you need around those figures to get that terminal. Would that not make sense?

I understand HP being just a unit of measurement can possibly vary, however the terminals from the UK would allude to that terminal speed matching that power.

Also as for the hub dyno vs whp dyno, KDW dyno'd on both (dynojet and dynapack) with the same results. Apart from that he backed up his power with his 100-150 times being bang on with a 1100hp car.

Also Abbey Motorsport had the Brams engine on an engine dyno prior to arriving to the UK and the hub dyno was about 15% below the flywheel figure.

Also Jamie's terminal is bang on with what people are getting at 1050-1100whp in America....

roughly what rwhp would a 134 mph indicate ?

jessica nice car btw ;)

Nigel's red uk supra over here got 515(iirc will double check) at the hubs on stock turbos

Is that the red UK spec? If so his car got 400 or something like that and then calculated it to be 480 at the fly. This was on the TDI dyno which we are realising most likely gives FWHP as an indicator rather than RWHP, which was my argument with him back then when we were discussing it.

There aint no way on gods green earth that there are any stock tubby Supras running anywhere near 500rwhp. 400RWHP I could almost accept if the mods were extensive.

This is using our dyno figures as a reference though, in the US or on a dyno similar to that in the US then I could see it reading that high.