Westy

• Replies 240
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Am i missing something here,

I always thought that an export version mkiv us/uk/euro could run 1,4 bar of boost safely and +/_450fwhp when at bpu level, add cams, camgears and standalone engine management will add another xx hp ontop of the 450fwhp,

am i wrong?

But also understand that there is a huge difference in 500 rwhp and 500 fwhp,

And welcome Jessica, were you the driver in that video you posted?

Am i missing something here,

I always thought that an export version mkiv us/uk/euro could run 1,4 bar of boost safely and +/_450fwhp when at bpu level, add cams, camgears and standalone engine management will add another xx hp ontop of the 450fwhp,

am i wrong?

But also understand that there is a huge difference in 500 rwhp and 500 fwhp,

And welcome Jessica, were you the driver in that video you posted?

It really depends where you measure to be honest. Uk specs won't make more power than jspecs from what I understand. The general yardstick for us is SRR, unfortunately now the power of the cars is so high that SRR can't actually hold them for a clean run so the likes of JP, Hodge, Stuart, etc etc are limited to hub dynos.

If you check the record for BPU in SRR I think it's 43xHP. It might be 431, it might be 436 I can't actually remember the exact figure. IIRC the car that ran had stand alone engine management etc etc. So it was pretty much at the limit of what it could do with regards to fuel, timing and boost.

The only way cams would get you more power would be if you were to increase the revs. More agressive cams tend to actually lose you a little HP from what I understand, it's only when you up the revs and get them working that you get the benefit. If you took a BPU car gave it a lot of headwork, threw in some decent cams and ran the revs right up there then higher power would definitely be atainable IMO. This doesn't seem to be what's being claimed though and it would need a LOT of revs to see over 600fwhp coming from 430.

Edit: The only thing limiting the Jspec in this instance would be the injectors. The UK injectors should have enough headroom for around 500hp, maybe just over. There aint no way that 550s would flow enough for over 600 IMO though. Not on a UK dyno anyway. I think it was AFR who did the hybrid turbo supra that pushed 500fwhp. The limiting factor to pushing it any further was the heat unfortunately. The EGTs went through the roof as the manifold assembly just couldn't flow enough at those power levels. Adding another 100hp would see it go into meltdown.

Edited by Scott (see edit history)

IMO it has more to do with the setup and the driver to what time/terminal you get than it does power. Obviously if taking about a large difference in power it's going to make a bigger difference but I recall you being in a single turbo when TDR was getting better times than you. What was your power then? Do you think TDR was making more power than you? I know I keep going back to Brians times etc but they stack up better in the US vs UK with regards to BPU times/terminals than looking at a setup/driver vs a-n-other setup/driver.

Brian isn't a million miles off of the US BPU times/terminals yet they claim to have 100rwhp more than him. He must be one hell of a driver to be pulling that one out the bag.

My point is that those times are possible on a fully tuned BPU car properly setup for running the 1/4 mile, by fully tuned BPU I mean approx 400 UK HP at the fly. There is a big difference between Brians car and most cars that turn up at a drag strip regardless of power though. The same, I would say, in this case with this car.

Sorry to dissagree Scott the driver may well make a diff to et but prob never to terminal, if you had lets say an auto 700 hp 700 ft lbs car that hooked up and ran 10.5 @ 140 mph and you increased torque and NOTHING else it would run a faster et but the same terminal, if you increased power but not torque the terminal would increase but the et remain the same, even a fluffed launch will not really effect terminal its why you see pro mod cars run a 6.8 @ 220 and next run a 7.9 @ 219. look at JP's times terminals, the times vary due to launch and wheelspin and clutch etc but the terminals are prob all pretty consistent for similar boost/power levels.

Sorry to dissagree Scott the driver may well make a diff to et but prob never to terminal, if you had lets say an auto 700 hp 700 ft lbs car that hooked up and ran 10.5 @ 140 mph and you increased torque and NOTHING else it would run a faster et but the same terminal, if you increased power but not torque the terminal would increase but the et remain the same, even a fluffed launch will not really effect terminal its why you see pro mod cars run a 6.8 @ 220 and next run a 7.9 @ 219. look at JP's times terminals, the times vary due to launch and wheelspin and clutch etc but the terminals are prob all pretty consistent for similar boost/power levels.

How do you explain Brian hitting over 120 in a BPU car then?

Are you saying that I could get into your car, or JPs car, hammer it down the line as best as I could and I would still hit the same terminal? If you put road tyres on your car, 225s at the rear you would still hit the same terminal?

I understand that if you take the same car with the same driver and increase the power you will get a higher terminal. I also understand that if you can drive a car to it's potential you can estimate the terminal it is capable of from it's power and weight etc. My point is that everyone is at different levels when it comes to driving these cars, the cars themselves are at different levels of setup regardless of the power they have. If you can hit the 60ft line in 1.5 seconds and be doing 60 in 2 seconds then you have a lot more chance of getting a higher terminal at the end of the quarter than you do if you run a 2.5sec 60ft and do 60 in 5 seconds. That for me is simple maths.

How do you explain Brian hitting over 120 in a BPU car then?

Are you saying that I could get into your car, or JPs car, hammer it down the line as best as I could and I would still hit the same terminal? If you put road tyres on your car, 225s at the rear you would still hit the same terminal?

I understand that if you take the same car with the same driver and increase the power you will get a higher terminal. I also understand that if you can drive a car to it's potential you can estimate the terminal it is capable of from it's power and weight etc. My point is that everyone is at different levels when it comes to driving these cars, the cars themselves are at different levels of setup regardless of the power they have. If you can hit the 60ft line in 1.5 seconds and be doing 60 in 2 seconds then you have a lot more chance of getting a higher terminal at the end of the quarter than you do if you run a 2.5sec 60ft and do 60 in 5 seconds. That for me is simple maths.

The big point is if it hooks up Scott, now the other thing you need toi remeber is people do tell porkies, a 6 mph jump is IMPOSSIBLE with out increasing power and thats a fact, who is to say the boost was not turned up or the BC had a moment and spiked, funny thing at drag strips thers loads of cars with nitrous bottles but no one ever switches em on !!!! yeah right. No if I put road tyres on my car the terminal would be diff but not by as much as you think !! It would be diff for 2 reasons, diff rolling radius and diff traction. A car with as little HP as the one we are talking about will hit the same correct terminal everytime and its prob a UK/Euro spec which is heavier than a J spec.

The big point is if it hooks up Scott, now the other thing you need toi remeber is people do tell porkies, a 6 mph jump is IMPOSSIBLE with out increasing power and thats a fact, who is to say the boost was not turned up or the BC had a moment and spiked, funny thing at drag strips thers loads of cars with nitrous bottles but no one ever switches em on !!!! yeah right. No if I put road tyres on my car the terminal would be diff but not by as much as you think !! It would be diff for 2 reasons, diff rolling radius and diff traction. A car with as little HP as the one we are talking about will hit the same correct terminal everytime and its prob a UK/Euro spec which is heavier than a J spec.

The hookup is the clincher IMO. You can have a car with silly HP running slower than an BPU because it can't get off the line, it's happened hundereds of times. JP jumped a fair whack when he started getting the hookup better did he not? With no changce in power IIRC, he changed the rolling raidus of the wheels to smaller ones to help with his launch. The power didn't change yet the terminal and time did.

I can only tell you what TDR says he has done. I'm sure he will have the time slips to prove it as he is not a bullsheeter. From what I remember he didn't even run a boost controller, I could be wrong though. Him and JP did run after run IIRC and TDR consistantly beat him across the line. I'm not sure what the terminals were in those instances but he definitely has done between 115 and 120 loads of times. I think his previous best was 11.6@118 or something like that.

The 431fwp at SRR was my old car with a Syvecs and a fuel kit, Greddy 3 row, Scott

Jspec turbos running in parallel, fueling was very safe:)

We were going to try and crack 450 with it......

Unfortunately i never got to run it at the pod

Ahh good, least we can pin the figure down now :D

Can you see any way of getting 600+ out of it?

Hi there! What discussion there has been about my car! ;)

The European record video!

Hi Jezzica, thanks for uploading the video. As you can see the discussion on drag racing figures and your cars spec looks to continue for some time. I did say on supraforums that it wasn't just your car though:

Jezzica, can you please post a link to the spec/any videos. Your car, it's times and you have sparked an interest on the UK forum.

Thanks.:)

;)

Welcome to this club!

Easiest way to display the spec of your car is to create a garage and that will stop you having to repeat anything.:thumbs:

Scott, if you are going to keep bringing my name into this then you need to get your facts right, pretty much everything you have said about myself is total rubbish.

I'm busy at work now, will reply to what you have said this evening.

I know I'm only going from memory and my memory isn't the best, apologies if what I am saying is rubbish :)

scott m you certainly have lots of opinions towards supras and times etc. what does your supra do at santa pod ? i assume its big power and puts some awesome times in ?

No mate, I haven't even ran at santa pod. If I did then I would probably do terribly. That's because I am not into it though.

I'm only making a few simple points/observations.

1. A BPU Supra can't be putting down 500RWHP. If it is then the measurement we are using between different continents/countries are widly varying.

2. If the dynos being used are wildly varying then the HP vs Terminal speed is null and void as the HP figure is going to be infinitely variable even when the figure is the same (Ie 500RWHP in Sweden would actually run 400RWHP in the UK).

3. A UK BPU Supra has ran the 1/4 mile with a terminal of approx 120mph. The owner estimates the power to be around 400fwhp and it was running 16psi with no other boost control

4. US BPU Supras running the same times/terminals as the UK BPU Supra mentioned are said to be running 400-450RWHP, thus adding to the differences between dynos argument.

5. The terminal that a car runs and the potential terminal that a car can run are 2 very different things. They depend on traction, hookup and driver ability.

Point 5 is relating to the 700hp cars running slower times & terminals than the BPU Supra mentioned. Most of these guys aren't really trying to get their drag times to a professional standard and are more at it for the fun side of things. Stuart W put down a good time with a good terminal recently IIRC. I won't quote figures or anything as has been pointed out my memory is flakey at the best of times. I'm sure a little search would pull out his times, speeds and power though. I would say that his stats are more prudent in a comparison with a US Supra as the guys over there take it far more seriously than our guys.

i actually have a plot from rob at rips that i forgot about, he said to me the weight and whp - terminal should be quite accurate across the scale.

http://i229.photobucket.com/albums/ee41/scooobyslayer/whpspeed.jpg

jessica is your supra full fat ?

That's a US chart though is it not? In that instance, IMO, the WHP should be corrected to FWHP for us. At which point I would agree that the figures are reasonable. It would correspond with what TDR managed at around 400-430FWHP.

That's a US chart though is it not? In that instance, IMO, the WHP should be corrected to FWHP for us. At which point I would agree that the figures are reasonable. It would correspond with what TDR managed at around 400-430FWHP.

lol that graph is from rob at rips, what he doesnt know about drag racing isnt worth knowing, are you seriously suggesting that jamies 149 mph would be 950 crank hp in his car, you are categorically wrong mate.

lol that graph is from rob at rips, what he doesnt know about drag racing isnt worth knowing, are you seriously suggesting that jamies 149 mph would be 950 crank hp in his car, you are categorically wrong mate.

I'm suggesting that Jamie hasn't ran as fast or as high a terminal as his car is capable of yet.

Explain to me how TDR and all the other BPU boys have managed to trap mid 11s and high teen terminals then?

Edited by Scott
typo (see edit history)

I'm suggesting that Jamie hasn't ran as fast or as high a terminal as his car is capable of yet.

Explain to me how TDR and all the other BPU boys have managed to trap mid 11s and high teen terminals then?

depends entirely on weight just 100 kg makes a difference, 1600 kg, 11.5 114 mph 400 whp.

theres lots of variables to consider even gearchanges can cost 2 seconds in a run and loose a good chunk of mph, from EXPERIENCE i have seen a 10 mph drop just from a misshift then straight into gear.

depends entirely on weight just 100 kg makes a difference, 1600 kg, 11.5 114 mph 400 whp.

theres lots of variables to consider even gearchanges can cost 2 seconds in a run and loose a good chunk of mph, from EXPERIENCE i have seen a 10 mph drop just from a misshift then straight into gear.

My point is that he doesn't have 400WHP, it's 400FWHP. I doubt he would have been full fat though, probably 1500 or so.