The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Had supra a week - comments from work.. Should I be annoyed?

supra_aero

One guy I know laughs at how much it costs to repair and maintain, but he drives a ford, had a ford before that and has always wanted a porsche. I always put a patronising voice on and say "maybe next year for the porsche eh?", "maybe next lifetime? do it then huh?" "if you do get a porsche god help you if you turn up to work in the training version" (boxter)

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I do agree with what Jamie said earlier, it's a nice car as a base but is really let down by the wheels and roof spoiler (sun visor ;) ).

Some nice wheels (even stock ones) would make it look soooo much better IMO. (edit, and while I'm at it, get rid of that stubby aerial, never see why they appeal, reminds me of the little phone masts cars used to have in the early 90's.... and get some clear side repeaters)

If it's a TT, take them for a drive and then see what they think of it ;)

i don't mind it as is and I for one don't think changing the little things others have said will change those peoples views.

I get people saying "you could have got a brand new corsa for the price of that" so some people just don't get it and never will get it, even the people that like high performance or prestige cars often have a chip on their shoulder about 'the badge' or age.........has always been the way, why you are getting more direct comments than usual I don't know...........

Its something that stands out from the usual mundane crowd of fords, audis and BMWs so its an easy target.

use to get it all the time with my MR2, chav racer, toy car, garry boy blah blah turned out all the guys at work that would take the P**** were all driving the car their Mrs had chosen for them, how sad :D

Its something that stands out from the usual mundane crowd of fords, audis and BMWs so its an easy target.

use to get it all the time with my MR2, chav racer, toy car, garry boy blah blah turned out all the guys at work that would take the P**** were all driving the car their Mrs had chosen for them, how sad :D

That one is so true!

I got "that's a beefy car" and "you look really small in it" when i got mine!

Not quite the "wow" i was hoping for! :rolleyes:

I guess some people just don't appreciate the beauty of the Supe! ;)

My boss says it's a "Hooligan's car". Incidentally, he drives a white 335 with chocolate brown leather interior (his choice), so I told everyone at work he got a really good deal on it as BMW fitted the the wrong colour interior by mistake and they couldnt shift it as it looks so out of place.

When I got rid of my Supra for the 911, a lot of people said things like "Ahh glad to see you've got a proper car now and got rid of that chav mobile".

I don't understand it either, the Supra is a cult car, but sadly there's a lot of bad ones out there (just like any other car) that give them a bad name. Most of the people who slag them off know as much about cars as I do about Nuclear physics, so their opinion doesn't matter. Bottom line is, who gives a crap what other people think.... would you rather drive a cool car like a Supra and be a bit different, or drive a Ford Ka and fit in?

Ignore them, simple as that.

Some funny comments here. Think wheels will need changing then. I quite liked them, but white on white may tarnish the look some what. Do agree its likely office banter. The car makes me smile everytime I press the key fob to lock or open it, and that's what matters most!

Mate if you really like them, don't change them. I think they look good it's your car :)

I really wouldn't take on board anything anyone says about your car, it actually looks like

quite a nice one and the wheels look fine.

Just smile and walk away, that usually shuts the idiots up as they require a response to achieve whatever

their trying to achieve so don't rise to their ill informed comments.

Enjoy your car ;)

people are just jealous. ive had people say the same to me. you dont buy a car to modify it unless you love it. i saw a woman in a 2 seater merc the other day, she clearly had bought it as she thought she looks the muts nuts, supra's just aren't like that, people genuinely love driving them for the feeling they get not the cool points you get for having a moooo'sive spoiler. people without supra's dont understand this!!!

I disagree Noz :)

I love getting nice comments and admiring looks from people, especially older people that were into their

E types and DB5's etc

I had a 80 yrs old pensioner with his wife drooling all over my car not so long back, it was one of the best

times i've had in the car and it was sat in a petrol station :D

Glad you got a supra again, when did you move down to bristol?

Most people comment positively about my car but I am surprised by the number that don't know what it is, also most people think it must have cost 3x what it did and no one believes its 18 years old.

Did have one lady say it was horrific and a couple of friends say its my silly car but they're not malicious.

Have the wheels made to silver so its not white on white, otherwise its fine.

Enjoy the car and watch for how many heads it turns in the street, not everyone will like it but they will all take a second look.

Some funny comments here. Think wheels will need changing then. I quite liked them, but white on white may tarnish the look some what. Do agree its likely office banter. The car makes me smile everytime I press the key fob to lock or open it, and that's what matters most!
That's what I miss the most, every time I got into the Supra it was like an event! Turning the key each time was special, I think the dash has a massive effect on this.