The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Dragonball 2012 - where to go?

Branners

Dragonball 2012  

57 members have voted

1. 1. Dragonball 2012

• Eurotunnel to France, trip down to Britanny area of france and then back home. Leave on a Friday, return late on Sunday.
    • Eurotunnel to France, travel in to Germany to Nurburgring and surrounding areas. Leave on a Friday morning, return late on Sunday
    • Ferry down to Bilbao in Spain, travel to the mountains and possibly Barcelona, back to the port and back home. Leaving on a Thursday (arrive Spain on the Saturday!!), return on the Ferry on Monday arrive back in the UK on the Tuesday.

I don't mind where we go, it's just the ferry idea which bothers me. As I can see people getting pretty angry if they drive all the way to catch a ferry, only to find they can't get on it because their Supra is too low. Or that they get on the ferry but damage something on their Supra, wither it's a side skirt, bumper or something like the exhaust. Euro tunnel is just such a safe option with not much stress for getting on/off of, also it's fast. So if we could catch the tunnel and just drive to where ever, then that would be the best idea I think :)

Ferry + Supra = Damaged Supra (Most likely) :(

• Replies 241
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I don't mind where we go, it's just the ferry idea which bothers me. As I can see people getting pretty angry if they drive all the way to catch a ferry, only to find they can't get on it because their Supra is too low. Or that they get on the ferry but damage something on their Supra, wither it's a side skirt, bumper or something like the exhaust. Euro tunnel is just such a safe option with not much stress for getting on/off of, also it's fast. So if we could catch the tunnel and just drive to where ever, then that would be the best idea I think :)

Ferry + Supra = Damaged Supra (Most likely) :(

It is a very valid point & also a key question.

Anyone got any experience taking their Supra on a Ferry? Like I said I have & it was quite close, this was at stock height with OEM skirts & spats (17 inch wheels). If anyone lives near one of the mention ports could they go have a quick look or chat to someone? Actually doesn't drift bear work for a Ferry company?

Edited by Abz
Grammar (see edit history)

It is a very valid point & also a key question.

Anyone got any experience taking their Supra on a Ferry? Like I said I have & it was quite close, this was at stock height with OEM skirts & spats (17 inch wheels). If anyone leaves near one of the mention ports could they go have a quick look or chat to someone? Actually doesn't drift bear work for a Ferry company?

We ( Paul H SteD Mike W ) have used the Dover to Dunkirk ferry ( Norfolkline- now Stena ) to go to Lemans for the last few years............mine is lowered at the front with 18" Wheels if you remeber from last years Dragonball, it gets on the "lower" deck with the lorrys no problems but if they insist on putting us on the higher deck i can scrape the front spoiler and exhaust on the ramp up and down ! ...............so having said that the likes of Ellis,s and other that are very low there may be problems if they are put up on the higher deck.

If they have a lot of lorrys aboard they will insist on us using the higher deck if there isnt they will let us all use the lower decks usually saved for lorrys Cars and caravans and motorbikes

Cheers

-Ian-

Used dfds from Newcastle regularly with no problems. Stock front bumper but lowered and intercooler is lower than my front lip. About 3" clearance at the front. You may have problems if you have a protruding front bumper or splitter. It depends on the type boat as well. Some are better than others.

It seems to be that Supras can get on some ferries no problem and other times ferries are a problem. It's just too much of a risk to hope on the day we get a Supra friendly ferry. If we want a 100% safe crossing, euro tunnel wins everytime. Now that we know that, let's try and decide where we are going next year rather than having a huge debate about ferries :D

It seems to be that Supras can get on some ferries no problem and other times ferries are a problem. It's just too much of a risk to hope on the day we get a Supra friendly ferry. If we want a 100% safe crossing, euro tunnel wins everytime. Now that we know that, let's try and decide where we are going next year rather than having a huge debate about ferries :D

If you lived 300 miles further north, would that decision be so easy?

I admit it's rubbish if you live so far away, but do we book a ferry and then risk it? It's a lot of planning and money to waste to then find out on the day we can't all get on the ferry as some of us are lower than others or have too low a kit to get on. We'll never please everybody unfortunately.

Why would members from the south want to travel north to catch a ferry, only to end up back where they started? It's a no win situation. Can't we just arrange two crossings one by ferry and one by Euro Tunnel then everyones happy :)

Why would members from the south want to travel north to catch a ferry, only to end up back where they started? It's a no win situation. Can't we just arrange two crossings one by ferry and one by Euro Tunnel then everyones happy :)

That might be the best option Scott.

Any gents up North have any recommendations?

The euro tunnel journey would still be more fun lol

I just watched the vic from last year and the film of people just rolling on and off with ease demonstrates how good it was

The ferry being ok or not would also probably depend on the tide. If it's low or high then it's going to be a steeper entry/exit?

just how bad are the Dutch police? We run some pretty big convoys in the UK and have never been pulled by the police, I cannot see the Dutch police being any worse than ours.

So perhaps Holland is the place to go. For the northern members does that make the trip any better?

just how bad are the Dutch police? We run some pretty big convoys in the UK and have never been pulled by the police, I cannot see the Dutch police being any worse than ours.

So perhaps Holland is the place to go. For the northern members does that make the trip any better?

I would guess so Branners. Gives 2 options - Newcastle to Amsterdam or Hull to Rotterdam.