The mkiv Supra Owners Club

forum owned track supras, register and chat thread.

dr_jekyll

• 2 weeks later...
I'm on stock links as well mate. Well, stock in so far as there is nothing special about them, except for a handy little tab that extends from the tapered part which makes contact with the bar & stops the taper from turning while getting the nuts on or off. Makes the whole job far easier. Between that & the copper grease its literally a two minute job if the wheels are off.

Ah cheers for that mate- sounds like I'm using the same ones, with the tab at the back. Bl00dy hate them ha ha. If you ever find a reasonably priced solution let me know- I'm tempted to make some up from off the shelf rosejoints etc but can't always guarantee the quality of them I guess.

Love the go pro- I prob sound like a kid here but I'm asking the missus and the family for cash for xmas towards getting one :lol: thanks for posting the vids- your control of oversteer has me green with envy, I'd love to be able to drive like that one day. I did started practising at the last event I did, it isn't easy! respect.

dan, were you at cottersmore 2011 when I had a swapper at about 150mph at the end of the straight. that was a messy pants moment

welcome back sir :) ha ha nope I didn't make cottesmore, first TSS I missed :( believe it was epically quick, and yeah I bet you needed a change of undercrackers after that matey! was It caught on camera?

Love the go pro- I prob sound like a kid here but I'm asking the missus and the family for cash for xmas towards getting one. thanks for posting the vids- your control of oversteer has me green with envy, I'd love to be able to drive like that one day. I did started practising at the last event I did, it isn't easy! respect.

Ah thanks mate but I have to say it is the car that deserves the real credit, although quite tail happy it is fairly predictable at the limit and only my stupidity sees me pointing in the wrong direction.

One a related subject, a fellow track enthusiast and multiple series competitor here in Ireland brought his corner scales to the last track day I was at & kindly allowed me to perch the Supra on top of them.

With half a tank of fuel and me on-board the old girl is tipping the scales at 1,500kg!:(

Some of my traction issues might be down to the fact that only 46% of that is supported by the rear axle.

On the plus side, my diagonals are spot on 50/50.

Time to get brutal with the cutting tools methinks, I've one more big(ish) tube to lose from the roll cage on the driver's side. After that I'm just going to start attacking the car itself.

• 1 month later...

sorry mate I've only just read your post :(

ha ha modest too hey ;) well from where I'm sat and my experience of trying to drive a supra sideways I have a lot of respect :notworthy

I can believe it- they are rather tank like! so have you had the grinder out over the xmas break?

I have a question for those who run Toyota 4 pot calipers- do you guys bother with all the shims and clips on your pads etc? on other cars (different types of calipers though) I've thrown all that away and just used EBC rubber / plastic shims and a smear of coppergrease, with no problems.

I've looked at what I have for the 4 pots and there are 2 shims and a small corner spacer type thing for each pad- do you guys use these? cheers in advance

so have you had the grinder out over the xmas break?

I have a question for those who run Toyota 4 pot calipers- do you guys bother with all the shims and clips on your pads etc? on other cars (different types of calipers though) I've thrown all that away and just used EBC rubber / plastic shims and a smear of coppergrease, with no problems.

I've looked at what I have for the 4 pots and there are 2 shims and a small corner spacer type thing for each pad- do you guys use these? cheers in advance

Nah mate, I was too busy with work proper to get near the car, there is still time before the new season kicks off though so I'll get something cut before I'm out again.

As for the brake shims, I definitely have a single backing plate on each pad, they were in situ when I bought the car and are still in very good condition so have remained in situ. I'm unsure if there should be anything else with them, there might very well have been more shims in place that weren't up to scratch and so were binned, but I'd have no worries about running the pads without the plates if they were showing signs of fatigue or rot.

I might be wrong about this (no surprise there then) but I think the corner clip is more to alert you to excessive pad wear, it squeals on the disk when the pads are close to exhausted. I think.

that's cool mate. time to start thinking about the plans for the year now :) anything booked in yet? I'm hoping to be out end of march for a shake down. that's the aim anyhow!

that's good to know thanks man. TBH I've done it before and just used the ones supplied with the pads, so I'll do that again. I remember helping a mate do some pads on the front of an ST205 celica once which is very similar (same pads infact) and no shims were used at all then.

Yep, that's the clip that is riveted to the pad, but there are also two other small ones which appear to just cowl one corner of the pad around its edge. never seen that sort of thing before! I'll see how I go without them, as from what I can tell you have to sandwich them in with stock shims. it'll be reet. he says. with confidence!

There are a couple in February, I could possibly get to one of them.

But if I could gather up a €500 lump the main club I attend track days with is doing a deal on a group of four days spread throughout the coming year. It is very good value and the first day is in early March, I'll probably aim for that.

Edited by pedrosixfour (see edit history)

• 4 weeks later...

Well I've just paid in full for 4 track days spread out between the start of March and the middle of November.

Each is a full day on the international circuit @ Mondello with lunch thrown in.

Cost works out at about £112 per day, which is ok in my book.

On the car front, it's been a slow couple of months, work has kept me occupied to such an extent that the car has all but been ignored since last October.

The only things I have to report on so far are some extra wing-age

attachment.php?attachmentid=179209&d=1389370861

attachment.php?attachmentid=179210&d=1389370861

attachment.php?attachmentid=179208&d=1389370861

And a little idea I had that I'm currently fleshing out to overcome some of my poor driving skills, so far I have the old cruise control actuator from my car, a £10 safety switch from a Daewoo forklift seat, a few bits of wiring and some newly discovered optimism!

If I can get it all to gel together I'll be a happy bunny, I've been reading up on other people's solutions to this "problem" most of them were quite happy to throw nearly a thousand pounds at a company for an answer to it.

Not feckin' likely!

• 1 month later...

First track day of the year tomorrow.

Not had much of a chance to do anything productive with the car, work has kept me busy six days a week since last November.

The only things I managed to tackle this week were moving the battery to behind the passenger seat, fitting a battery isolation switch and my crowning achievement, using the stock cruise control actuator and a few other bits & bobs to fashion an automatic throttle "blipper" for down-changes. I've no idea whether it will be of any benefit but tomorrow will tell.

At least now I might be able to avoid learning how to heel-toe!

Good luck for tomorrow mate, 1 question, how do you find the hawk race pads in comparison to other pads you`ve used, i`m looking to get away from porterfield as they don`t last long enough.

I can't honestly give you much of an answer to that Si, I've done three events with the race pads fitted, the first was on the old disks and brand new tyres, the second day was on new disks & soaking wet and the third day wasn't much better in terms of favourable weather. The main reason I went for the Hawk pads was because I'd gotten such service out of the used set of fast road pads that came with the UK brake upgrade I bought. I got at least a dozen days out of those pads and never once did I feel the brakes were lacking but you must bear in mind you're a seasoned veteran compared to me, I'd never done a track day before 2009 so I was probably asking very little of the brakes to begin with and I'm still fairly chicken when it comes to leaving the braking 'til the last second. Also, Mondello for me is a 120mph track at best, a very good average speed around it is just 60mph. The tracks you're used to running are much faster.

All I can say is I've been happy with them so far, I did get a bit of heat into them at the last day in October and I'd have to say that I'd class the brake feel and power as progressive, I had nothing in the way of front end lock-ups but I was certainly growing in confidence by the end of the day and trying to shorten my time on the brakes.

Sorry, that's an awful lot of pish for you to read with very little in the line of useable information for you. come back to me in a couple of years and I might have something more to add! :)

But if it makes you feel any better about the brand or taking the gamble I'd have no hesitation in buying a used set from you if they turned out to be a move in the wrong direction in your experience.

I'd love to get mine onto the track properly in the future.

I was thinking of Ikeya suspension components, an OS Giken diff, some AP brakes, a Do Luck tensioner set, probably different coilovers (Nitrons or Ohlins I'd imagine) and other bracing. Oh and of course a quicker spooling turbo than the T88 would probably help haha! :D

I sway on how far I'd take it as I'd want to keep it street usable so not poor to drive otherwise, but I don't think it is in very good track spec as it is. :)

I'd love to get mine onto the track properly in the future.

I was thinking of Ikeya suspension components, an OS Giken diff, some AP brakes, a Do Luck tensioner set, probably different coilovers (Nitrons or Ohlins I'd imagine) and other bracing. Oh and of course a quicker spooling turbo than the T88 would probably help haha! :D

I sway on how far I'd take it as I'd want to keep it street usable so not poor to drive otherwise, but I don't think it is in very good track spec as it is. :)

doesnt make as much differance as you would think with turbo spool ,As your always moving and in the higher rev range around a track, so theres one less reason to not get on track get one booked up and go :)

Clips from my last fun day out can be found here.

http://www.mkivsupra.net/vbb/showthread.php?304724-Mondello-Park-Track-Day-Clips&p=3837565#post3837565

Spent a while Friday morning "safely" getting the boost up to what I think is the maximum I'd be happy running long term (18.5 psi) and set the HKS FCD accordingly.

Turns out the FCD doesn't work properly at 9, the recommend setting for the 2JZ, when controlling fuel cut on a 1JZ, I tried it at 7 briefly which I read somewhere is the other usual Toyota setting but thought the AFR looked a little weak, so I set it to 8 and the AFR looked good all day, dropping to between 10 & 10.5 on full boost but no sign of fuel cut like I was getting at 9, even at a lower boost setting of about 17 psi.

But now the next thing is I need to start looking into tuning the suspension some more, I'm shredding the outer half of all my tyres in the corners, the inner sections are practically untouched!

Want to shed some more weight, possibly play with the ride heights a bit to see if there is a chance I can use some camber gain to square the tyres up in the corners without sacrificing too much braking power. I was really starting to work the brakes Friday too, my auto blipper worked a treat some of the time, depending on the corner and what gear I was selecting, I'll speed up the cable pull a bit for the next day to see if that helps, but overall I'm happy I gave it a go.

I did a 2:02.3 in light traffic at one stage on Friday which I am chuffed to bits with, I've never had a stopwatch on me before & thought I might be in the 2:10 bracket if I was lucky.

Now the goal is to go sub 2 minutes, hopefully a bit of suspension fettling & a diet might help.

As a comparison, there was a "SuperCopa" Seat Leon there on Friday, proper sub 1000kg race car from a one make series that runs on the continent, lightweight everything, sequential box, slicks, it was lapping @ 1:56 - 1:57

There was also a K20'd E30 BMW (with super charger), 360bhp, also sub 1000kg & slicks, he was also lapping around the same time, but his sheer lack of regard for his own safety probably contributed to this achievement! I went for a couple of laps in the passenger seat, it was like being in a washing machine with a dozen bricks! I'll stick with the Supra thanks!

Also, can anyone shed any light on the roll centre and what I should be trying to achieve? The car really lets its weight show in the corners and still rolls a fair bit (to me) despite the stiffer ARBs.

Any advice on set-up would be most welcome, the car was on scales before and they showed the car was nearly perfectly balance left to right and across the diagonals. The only thing I've done since is move the 15kg battery into the cabin. Weight distribution before the battery move was 54% front, the car weighs 1500kg.

Thanks,

Damien.

Tell me again the geo settings, what tyres are on it, and what pressures. Do not lower it any more, it'll want to roll more, plus it'll be on the bump stops. What ARB's?

Thanks Chris.

The front has about four degrees negative camber and all the caster available. I fitted offset bushes to the lower control arms to give me the extra camber. No toe on the front.

Rear has about 1.5 degrees negative camber, 3mm toe-in.

I'm running 235/40/17 Kumho V70A hard compound road legal track tyres on 9" rims, ET+44 on the front and 255/40/17 Kumho V70A hard compound road legal track tyres on 10" ET+44 rims at the rear, tyre pressures on both axles is about 28psi at the start of a session, I lost my gauge recently so had no way of telling what the pressures were at when returning to the paddock at the last track day.

I run Titan Motorsport ARBs, softest setting at the front & middle setting at the rear.

I also run a fast road Bilstein set-up from your good self which I think really suits Mondello's choppy surface.

The tyres are showing a lot of scrubbing towards the inside, but mainly on the outer half of the tyre, all tyres seem to show a pretty even amount of it.

Here are a couple of shots of the car

First shot shows the car in the 50-80 mph long left hand turn (turn 4 in the clip if you don't count the little flick before turn three)

These two show the car in turn 2, one of the toughest corners to get right and one of the most unforgiving if you don't.

The transition from corner one (hairpin right) to corner 2, climbing left hander with weird camber changes

Don't know if these are consecutive shots from the same 80mph left hander or taken on two different laps, either way it's the penultimate corner before the start/finish straight

Clip of the car trying to hang onto the back of a supercharged Exige & a Ferrari 360 Modena

[video=youtube;CB-6cLuH2-Q]

Edited by pedrosixfour (see edit history)