The mkiv Supra Owners Club

forum owned track supras, register and chat thread.

dr_jekyll

Good luck dude, let us know how you get on :thumbs:

Good luck and take care.

Excellent news and the very best of luck to you. Have a good time and enjoy it.

Goog luck mate! May the jz-force be with you!

All the best matey, good luck, just pretend you`re on a trackday then you won`t feel under any pressure.

Sorry lads, I forgot to say thanks for all the positive remarks, much appreciated.

Si, that's probably the best piece of advice I've had yet!

Took third place in Pro Class today but I'm a good bit off the top two in Pro. Guess I can't complain though, the guy that came second has been competing for the past six years!

Car performed well, if a little tail happy from time to time, usually mid corner. Also seem to be locking the fronts far more than usual at a track day but I may have just been over driving & missing my old braking points a tad. Alternator failed just before the super lap final but there was enough juice in the battery to see me to the end so I've that to sort. I came back from lunch to find a large pool of power steering fluid under the car which turned out to be a bad hose between the rack and cooler, there was enough slack to make off the damaged section and the leak didn't reappear for the rest of the day.

All in all, very happy with the day, I thought the scrutineer was going to have a stroke this morning when he saw the results of my hard work on the car. He was far from impressed but couldn't fault the car on anything serious so I was passed, begrudgingly!

Edited by pedrosixfour (see edit history)

Took third place in Pro Class today but I'm a good bit off the top two in Pro. Guess I can't complain though, the guy that came second has been competing for the past six years!

Car performed well, if a little tail happy from time to time, usually mid corner. Also seem to be locking the fronts far more than usual at a track day but I may have just been over driving & missing my old braking points a tad. Alternator failed just before the super lap final but there was enough juice in the battery to see me to the end so I've that to sort. I came back from lunch to find a large pool of power steering fluid under the car which turned out to be a bad hose between the rack and cooler, there was enough slack to make off the damaged section and the leak didn't reappear for the rest of the day.

All in all, very happy with the day, I thought the scrutineer was going to have a stroke this morning when he saw the results of my hard work on the car. He was far from impressed but couldn't fault the car on anything serious so I was passed, begrudgingly!

Well done mate, great result!! :thumbs:

Cheers Richard, I just hope it wasn't a fluke. Competing against cars that weigh literally half what Supra does kinda puts me on the back foot, especially around a track like Mondello.

I'm sure it wasn't a fluke mate, to get 3rd on your first event and what sounds like some serious competition is pretty awesome.

Is it time to dust the angle grinder off again :D

Good result :) Any pics or vid from the day?

Good result :) Any pics or vid from the day?

Good work mate, well done.

Thanks lads.

Sadly I've no footage of my laps, I was in such a fuddle yesterday morning I left without the gopros and my amazing new phone won't sit properly in my amazing new phone mount so taking footage with that was out too. :rolleyes:

I'll keep an eye on the updates from the competitors & organisers and I'll post anything of note in the line of clips.

• 2 months later...

Well round two of T/A is the first Monday in August and when I changed the alternator a couple of weeks ago the gearbox started making a strange ticking noise shortly after starting the car to check the charging system. So with a little bit of panic setting in and with time running out to do anything about it I pulled the gearbox today to assess the problem. Clutch, release bearing and flywheel are as new, because they practically are, spigot bearing, despite being as fresh, is actually quite rough and will be replaced, but nothing to explain the noise. So time to dig a little deeper and open the box. On initial inspection the internals looked healthy, no damage to any teeth except the usual rounding of the reverse cogs. But taking a closer look I've found a single tooth on the gear in constant mesh with the first motion shaft that has a slightest hint of a kink in the middle of its peak. Some piece of debris obviously got in there while the car was idling and managed to bend the very peak of a single tooth with the resulting protrusion on the driven side of the tooth. Every time this tooth comes into contact with the first motion gear this tiny protrusion strikes an instant before the rest of the tooth giving the whole bloody gearbox a lovely rhythmic death rattle!

But looking at the cause of the noise and the condition of the rest of the 'box I'm happy to put the whole thing back together and resume normal service. Who knows, the first time a proper helping of torque is put through the gear at the next outing the tooth just might regain its original shape!

Edited by pedrosixfour (see edit history)

i miss being part of this thread........but soon .. soon

You are doing some serious upgrades to the business mate, and hats off to you, once that is running smoothly you'll be free to build a Supra for every type of competition you want to take a swing at. Looking forward to the rallycross version myself!

• 4 weeks later...
itching to see this mate, will have to wait until its "safe" at work or take a look at home.

great to see you still out there enjoying / abusing it :)

Don't get to work too excited Dan, it's still just me, burning an obscene amount of petrol for the return I get!

Another lap from the first session of the day, session two was definitely my quickest, after lunch the car started loosing boost pressure, I went from a best lap of 2:02 in session two to a 2:13 in the Superlap Final at the end of the day. Don't know the reason for the boost loss yet. Pretty annoying though, I could've taken an unimaginable second in class in Superlap with the laps some of the other lads put in, if the car had been on form.

I've a couple more clips to upload from the rear camera, one showing a full fat racing Exige wiping out behind me at about 100mph. Poor lad, he's binned it twice in two outings.

Nice to see someone putting some serious effort into competing in a supra. Car looks great.

Anyone that bins a car in two outing needs to have a word with themselves, he is either trying too hard or the setup of the car is not right.

Cheers mate. Car looks terrible but it was kind of you all the same. To be fair I did give my headlights a serious overhaul, black innards with de-lined covers, they do look lots better at least.

To be fair to the chap he just jumped in at the deep end, he came from tracking his GTR which, as we all know, drive themselves. :p

He is a nice bloke and there is no air of "driving god" about him, just not up to speed on the car's potential (good & bad) yet.

A race prepped Exige is not going to forgive an inexperienced driver, here is the footage, just to prove how fast things turn to shit.

[video=youtube;m-R3UuW6mQY]