The mkiv Supra Owners Club

forum owned track supras, register and chat thread.

dr_jekyll

Thanks for the kind words fellas, shucks :love:

I too had a play at barkston in pro class as I have semi slicks on, it was certanly a handful getting the car round in places as Dan said but was a fun day out and Dan and I did show some of the cars more suited to the track up, just wish I abused the car a bit more, I felt myself holding back for some reason!

good to see you on here Ed :) you did well matey smashed my time anyway! i think we both did well for the supra marque for such a track which is more suited to, well, anything but a supra! well done fella. And holding back? that last pic says otherwise ;)

awesome braking pics pedro! thats awesomely impressive :) glad it locked up equally too making it controlable!

ha ha i assume thats a joke about the brake discs ;) glad they didnt disintegrate whilst out there!

Just received word that Kumho have stopped making 17" tyres in a 275/40.

My options are 255/40 or 315/35.

I'm actually contemplating putting the 255/40/17 tyres up front (9" wide rim) and putting a pair of 315/35/17 on the rear (10" wide rim)

I know the 315's are supposed to be fitted to minimum 10.5" wide rim but I've seen a few shots of this size tyre on a 10" rim and they don't look too bad, quite appealing to someone like me in fact!

I know its not a Supra, but it is a Soarer, with 315/35 tyres on a set of TT Supra rims, just to give you an idea.

TT rear rims are 9.5" aren't they?

The thing is, I can convince myself pretty quickly that this size tyre might prove beneficial to my car's traction issues at the rear, (a bit more flex, a lot more rubber etc.) but can anyone lend an opinion based on any kind of experience running tyres like these on 10" rims?

Thanks in advance,

Damien.

Edited by pedrosixfour (see edit history)

255 40 on a 9 up front is fine , the rear 315 for a 10j is pushing it okay for a road car but for track id stick with the optimum tyre size for a 10j is 295 fitting a oversized tyre on a rim does not mean its going to handle better just because its wider in fact it will handle worse due to the balloon effect on the sidewalls

255 40 on a 9 up front is fine , the rear 315 for a 10j is pushing it okay for a road car but for track id stick with the optimum tyre size for a 10j is 295 fitting a oversized tyre on a rim does not mean its going to handle better just because its wider in fact it will handle worse due to the balloon effect on the sidewalls

The trouble is though mate no one does a 295 tyre in a 17" rim anymore, I'm so utterly screwed for choice, it is literally 255 or 315.

I thought I was being so clever when I found a set of staggered 17" rims with a 10" width at the rear. I might as well use them for feckin' flower pots at this stage, everything in a suitable track tyre is 18" & up.

I know I'm going to be absolutely flamed for this but when you look at the likes of this..

http://gearheadsmag.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/08/McLaren-MP4-12C-Can-Am-72.jpg

these type of GT class race cars always seem to run a fairly substantial tyre when compared to the rim.

Apart from the several hundred million that's pumped into their research, development & ultimate build what's the difference between his and mine?

(Slightly joking here, but still...)

The trouble is though mate no one does a 295 tyre in a 17" rim anymore, I'm so utterly screwed for choice, it is literally 255 or 315.

I thought I was being so clever when I found a set of staggered 17" rims with a 10" width at the rear. I might as well use them for feckin' flower pots at this stage, everything in a suitable track tyre is 18" & up.

Ah yea you are going to have trouble then with that size , what power are you running ?.

Ah yea you are going to have trouble then with that size , what power are you running ?.

380-400 fwhp or so.

I've only had it dyno'd @ .7 bar and it was making 320 fwhp @ 6k rpm.

I still don't hit the car's redline (8,250 rpm) for various reasons, mainly to preserve the engine but I've now upped the boost to 1.2 bar so I'm assuming power has increased along with the rate it now drinks petrol!

Edited by pedrosixfour (see edit history)

380-400 fwhp or so.

I've only had it dyno'd @ .7 bar and it was making 320 fwhp @ 6k rpm.

I still don't hit the car's redline (8,250 rpm) for various reasons, mainly to preserve the engine but I've now upped the boost to 1.2 bar so I'm assuming power has increased along with the rate it now drinks petrol!

:D you could sell the rims and buy another set , not sure if your car is road legal or not if not how about looking for slicks to fit they might do them in the right size.

:D you could sell the rims and buy another set , not sure if your car is road legal or not if not how about looking for slicks to fit they might do them in the right size.

If I have to buy rims & tyres then I'm off the track for the rest of the year mate, simple as.

Car isn't road legal, pure track car, but it has always been built & modified with one eye on the Pro-street rules of the Irish Time Attack series. Slicks aren't permitted and if I ever do get the extra capital needed t compete in something like this then I don't want to have been spoilt by running slicks at track days and then wondering where all that lovely grip has gone when there's a stopwatch on me!

• 3 weeks later...

Had my latest outing on Thursday last at Mondello.

New track tyres and new brake disks were warmed up and bedded in over the first couple of hours and I was anticipating a great afternoon.

No such luck, it was the wettest I ever endured at a track day and I've been to some absolute wash-outs!

The whole car would shake violently from side to side at 100mph as it passed under the bridge on the start finish straight, which was definitely a new one on me. I thought there was something very wrong with the undercarriage at first, turns out there was just so much standing water at that particular point on the track that it was more akin to sailing than driving the tyres were completely overwhelmed.

I decided to back off a little at that point from then on.

As I said I had spent the morning acclimatising the new brake disks and, once I was confident they'd make some effort to stop me, the new tyres, with the idea that everything would get a proper cool down over lunch and I could turn the boost up again for the afternoon session. But the rains came and never left and my biggest problem for the remainder of the day was a cockpit that refused to stop steaming up, even with the side windows fully open!

With no heater/fan in the car anymore I was relying on a bottle of anti-fog to do the necessary but as fast as I'm wiping the layer of condensation off the glass it's reforming, such was the humidity. I'd get a few laps in and then visibility would be too obscured to carry on with any degree of confidence so it was back into the pits and find a half sheltered spot to open the doors and let a bit of a breeze through the cabin to do what the anti-fog couldn't.

So I spent the rest of the day jumping in when circumstances permitted and shouting at the nearest damp individual to hop in too for a fun(ish) blat around the circuit.

The new tyres did their best to find any grip that was out there, the fronts really struggled in a few places so I found the best way to assist was a prod on the go-pedal. The resulting laps were neither fast nor graceful but I was never going to set any records yesterday anyway.

Well, only for the most amount of water retained in a pair of shoes perhaps.

Neither of my recently purchased Gopro cameras made it out of the nice warm bed in the jeep, I even had a nice perch for one on the rear of the car, it is actually the homemade towing eye that I fitted on Wednesday but just by sheer happenstance it is ideal for use with my new roll bar camera mount!

A pair of old forklift park brake brackets and a bit of slicing & dicing...

attachment.php?attachmentid=173820&d=1376764106

...become a snazzy pair of towing eyes.

attachment.php?attachmentid=173816&d=1376764106

Front is bolted to the aluminium crash bar.

attachment.php?attachmentid=173817&d=1376764106

Rear is welded to the steel crash bar

attachment.php?attachmentid=173818&d=1376764106

Luck, not skill.

attachment.php?attachmentid=173819&d=1376764106

Anyway, here is the one bit of footage of my entire experience, taken again by my mate in the (mostly) sure footed 360.

It was, would you believe, a little drier at that stage of the day, somewhere about 5 in the afternoon.

009.jpg

011.jpg

012.jpg

013.jpg

008.JPG

• 2 months later...

applies brakes nice and early

and makes a complete hash of it LOL

we had quite a damp end to the season- managed a few spins in the last couple of events but that's the only one caught on camera.

any other regulars on this thread have any plans? that's it for me in 2013 :(

Isn't it great when they just swap ends for (what seems to be) absolutely no reason whatsoever!

I've had the car do that to me twice in the dry, you think the car is properly stable & set up to hit the anchors and then half a second later you are looking at where you've come from.

I've one last outing @ Mondello with a private club this Friday, full day, full circuit, open pit for €150 including lunch. The best value days going as far as I can tell and no messing.

Haven't done a thing to the car since it was last out, going to soften the rear ARB in preparation for Friday, check the fluids, load it and just enjoy the day no matter what the weather does.

I did buy a little dash mounted demister to try and maintain some sort of view out the front window. Last time out was a friggin' disaster.

Ha ha damn straight it is- was quite a surprise! It was the slippyest part of the track and it appeared my NSF brake may have been stuck off a little as it wasn't as warm os the OSF the run after, so with a bit of "encouragement" on the next run everything was back to normal. Good to hear you've had the same issue though bud and it doesn't just happen to me :)

sounds good for Friday bud, enjoying it is what its all about :) wise move to back off the rear bar if its wet. Which droplinks do you use- rose jointed ones? I'm on stock type jobbies so for me to adjust mine would be a pain.

Enjoy :)

I'm on stock links as well mate. Well, stock in so far as there is nothing special about them, except for a handy little tab that extends from the tapered part which makes contact with the bar & stops the taper from turning while getting the nuts on or off. Makes the whole job far easier. Between that & the copper grease its literally a two minute job if the wheels are off.

A couple of vids from my last outing at Mondello.

I was trying out my gopro cameras for the first time, well impressed with the quality of the footage and even the sound quality is way beyond what I imagined it would be.

Bit of a mixed bag weather wise but when the track did eventually dry up the new Kumho V70 tyres I fitted recently really cut the sh1t out of my lap times, impressive rubber.

[video=youtube;-UhQ4JOMN7A]

Have a couple more to upload when I get the chance.